Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the last two things that annoy me about my 2016 Multistrada 1200 are the throttle at low speeds around town being twitchy as all get out, and the constant backfires when letting off throttle. I know tuning is probably the way to go, I just don't want to get too deep down that road. I don't want to change the exhaust at all because I really like the way the stock pipe sounds as well. What have people done to remedy these two things, in a nutshell. If it ends up HAVING to be exhaust and tune, I'll look into it. Thanks for any suggestions!!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Ok, so the last two things that annoy me about my 2016 Multistrada 1200 are the throttle at low speeds around town being twitchy as all get out, and the constant backfires when letting off throttle. I know tuning is probably the way to go, I just don't want to get too deep down that road. I don't want to change the exhaust at all because I really like the way the stock pipe sounds as well. What have people done to remedy these two things, in a nutshell. If it ends up HAVING to be exhaust and tune, I'll look into it. Thanks for any suggestions!!
I never had backfire issues when stock except with cold start idle problems (only for the first 20-30 seconds when starting the bike the first time after a few days. You shouldn't be having any backfire issues - if you are and your bike is completely stock then something is wrong. Also... touring mode throttle should be pretty smooth if you're in the normal operating rpm range for the multi (3k+ rpm).

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know it's a different model year but my '13 originally experienced what I felt to be excessive backfire on overrun as well. For full disclosure, my bike had a full Termi system from day one. The backfiring virtually disappeared after the first major service (belts and valve train clearances, etc.). Even though the clearances weren't out-of-spec, my technician brought them all to mid-range. Now the only time I'll hear a slight backfire is, when cold coming off the throttle and coasting down a fairly steep hill (part of my commute).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I've owned many, many different motorized "toys" since I was a young lad, and wrenched on everything from small engines to large diesels. I fully understand air to fuel ratio, etc etc.. My gut tells me it's just the way the fuel/air map is written on this bike to meet emissions standards, but man did they do a terrible job at low RPM's. Cruising through town at 30mph in second or third gear is an exercise for the right hand as there is no perfect spot to keep it at the RPM you need to. The thing is either accelerating or decelerating...it's on/off. Could be the nature of drive-by-wire also, which I have never liked. I don't know, I'd love to figure it out because it's quite annoying. As far as the backfire, mine does it consistently when letting off the throttle and the bike is decelerating under load. It's much more pronounced at lower RPM's also. Perhaps a map adjustment is in the works. I might bring it to the dealer as well to have them look at it because it's under warranty. Just ranting a little I guess, but I want to figure it out!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. I've owned many, many different motorized "toys" since I was a young lad, and wrenched on everything from small engines to large diesels. I fully understand air to fuel ratio, etc etc.. My gut tells me it's just the way the fuel/air map is written on this bike to meet emissions standards, but man did they do a terrible job at low RPM's. Cruising through town at 30mph in second or third gear is an exercise for the right hand as there is no perfect spot to keep it at the RPM you need to. The thing is either accelerating or decelerating...it's on/off. Could be the nature of drive-by-wire also, which I have never liked. I don't know, I'd love to figure it out because it's quite annoying. As far as the backfire, mine does it consistently when letting off the throttle and the bike is decelerating under load. It's much more pronounced at lower RPM's also. Perhaps a map adjustment is in the works. I might bring it to the dealer as well to have them look at it because it's under warranty. Just ranting a little I guess, but I want to figure it out!
Run your DVT like sport bike you won't have a problem with stock exhaust backfire, if it still giving you backfire Dave and I using Rapidbike evo

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Cruising through town at 30mph in second or third gear is an exercise for the right hand as there is no perfect spot to keep it at the RPM you need to. The thing is either accelerating or decelerating...it's on/off.
In sport mode yea that's how things generally work... but at 30 in touring mode in 2nd/3rd my multi stock was nice and smooth, I'd generally ride through towns in 4th at 30-40mph.

Now with rapidbike and a bit lower gearing I can cruise through town in 4th and 5th smoothly. (if I don't drop below 40mph I can ride through town in 6th).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Run your DVT like sport bike you won't have a problem with stock exhaust backfire, if it still giving you backfire Dave and I using Rapidbike evo
Indeed, I have ridden it many different ways, but you can't always be on the throttle everywhere so it doesn't solve the issue. I generally leave my sportbike riding for one of my sportbikes! :wink2:

In sport mode yea that's how things generally work... but at 30 in touring mode in 2nd/3rd my multi stock was nice and smooth, I'd generally ride through towns in 4th at 30-40mph.

Now with rapidbike and a bit lower gearing I can cruise through town in 4th and 5th smoothly. (if I don't drop below 40mph I can ride through town in 6th).
I've tried it in all the modes, it still backfires, so I'm assuming something just tuned right or it's just the nature of this bike. Thinking of giving the Rapidbike EVO a try...

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Indeed, I have ridden it many different ways, but you can't always be on the throttle everywhere so it doesn't solve the issue. I generally leave my sportbike riding for one of my sportbikes! :wink2:

I've tried it in all the modes, it still backfires, so I'm assuming something just tuned right or it's just the nature of this bike. Thinking of giving the Rapidbike EVO a try...
No there's something wrong - a stock bike shouldn't be backfiring other than the cold start issue. Here's my "low speed test" from a couple years ago:

Low Speed Test... was just trying to see where the bike was smooth at low throttle and where it was rough. At that point pretty much any acceleration (in a higher gear) from under 3k rpm would be rough.

·
Registered
131 Posts
MY 2016 MTS has always backfired when rolling off the throttle; doesn't matter what gear I'm in. I don't see it as a problem but I wouldn't know.

To the OP, if you're having trouble moderating the throttle in slow city riding, try switching to Urban mode. It dials back the HP and throttle response to tame the beast in city driving.

Me personally, I would never ride the MTS at 28 - 30 mph in 3rd or 4th gear for more than a moment, between shifts. If you had to get out of a situation fast, you'd have trouble accelerating. The bike likes to be over 4,000 (although it will function at lower RPMs). If I'm riding at 28, 30, even 35, I've probably just shifted into 2nd gear.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Me personally, I would never ride the MTS at 28 - 30 mph in 3rd or 4th gear for more than a moment, between shifts. If you had to get out of a situation fast, you'd have trouble accelerating. The bike likes to be over 4,000 (although it will function at lower RPMs). If I'm riding at 28, 30, even 35, I've probably just shifted into 2nd gear.
Agree'd. I often wonder if the guys experiencing crank failures lugged the motor at very low RPM's. Really makes things shake, rattle and roll. lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
I’ve got a 2016 S and it behaves nothing like OP's description. I can smoothly bumble along in 30mph traffic in second gear all day long without a problem. In sport mode even, since I only bump down to touring mode for shitty pavement.

My bike also doesn’t backfire simply from rolling off the throttle. I get some popping when I blip the throttle for a smooth down shift, but that's about it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My '15 did not and my '17 does not backfire ( you are really talking about afterfire). Something is wrong. You may also be having a problem with free play in the throttle. I recently heard about an outift in California that makes a product call Ducatispacers that is intended to solve the problem. I am considering that my self.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Agree'd. I often wonder if the guys experiencing crank failures lugged the motor at very low RPM's. Really makes things shake, rattle and roll. lol
Lugging is a different beast (My understanding is that when you lug a vehicle you're essentially going too slow to keep it lit - you stall it and have momentum restart it - really bad for pretty much everything in the drivetrain)... the Multi with the huge cans will sound like it's lugging when it's not. I think the point is worth considering though... accelerating from under 3,000 rpm is slower and if you get close to 2,000 then too much throttle will make things vibe (and cause weird forces that also may not be healthy). Under normal riding conditions I tend to go through towns around 3,000. Out of town I'm usually 4500-5500 when touring. With rapidbike I have reasonable roll on power from there even in 6th.

Reactions: Wolverine1

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Sorry for the above. I just checked their web sit and they do not have a kit for the Multi DVT.
Yea I'm guessing the spacer kit is for older RBW systems where there still was a cable - I think the DVT is just an encoder in the grip with some springs and gizmos to make it feel like there's a cable.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think they make the spacers for Panigales mainly. There is slop in their throttles for some reason and the spacer takes it up. My Aprilia has the same set-up as the Panigales throttle-wise and there is no slop (granted others seem to have been having problems with the fueling map, but I find that on my 2017 my hamfistedness seems to be more of an issue than the bike itself).

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Using the clutch helps with low speed throttle control. Keeping the engine above 3500 rpms smooths things right out too, this is where the engine wants to be. I went up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket and that helped with the tall gearing a little bit. I probably should have gone up one more though.

You don’t want to be riding around at 2000rpms on any Ducati. You are really lugging the engine at that speed.

Once you get into the mindset that you will do all of your riding above 3500rpms you and your bike will be much happier.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts