Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed a slight clunking at low speed, i.e. <5mph. It's nothing I can hear with the bike running and my helmet on, but I feel it both in my bars and pegs. I don't think it's the brakes as I don't have them applied when I feel it. Does it sound like it's time to replace wheel bearings?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Have you recently taken off the rear wheel?
If so it may be that the rear nut is not torqued down or is loose.
I had a issue like yours a weird thunk at very low speed or just
moving the bike. I could not figure out what it was. After some
checking I found that the rear wheel was moving on the pins that go into
the hub making move around causing the clunk sound and feel.
Hope thats it

Steve

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I did have it off recently. I'll check it out this weekend and make sure it's tight.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@tye1138 - '01 996. Haven't tried engine off down a hill yet.

@vcyclenut - I don't think it's in the steering. I typically notice it as I'm creeping to a stop at a light going dead straight.

It seems relatively rhythmic to the rolling speed of the tires. My first thought was something was rolling up inside the tire then dropping. I know that is beyond highly unlikely but that's the way it felt if that makes sense. Very reminiscent of those colored plastic things you'd put on your bicycle spokes when you were a kid that slid up and down, but if you only had one.

I'm a stickler about chain lube, but we've had a ton of rain lately and my baby has had to endure it. I should probably throw it on the stand just to make sure I don't have a sticking link. I've actually had to take the clutch apart twice and pry the plates apart. Open clutch cover + rain = bad. I know, I know. I should be ashamed of myself, and I am.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is your bike a single sided swingarm model? Make sure the pins in the hub are located in the holes of the wheel and not the slots in between.

How is your chain tension?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's single side and the chain tension is good. I did fit it on the pins when I put it back on. I would think it would be extremely obvious if my back wheel was loose. I've put close to 600mi on it since I had it off and a good chunk of that was riding all the twisty stuff around Cumberland falls in eastern KY. Didn't seem to have any handling issues.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It's single side and the chain tension is good. I did fit it on the pins when I put it back on. I would think it would be extremely obvious if my back wheel was loose. I've put close to 600mi on it since I had it off and a good chunk of that was riding all the twisty stuff around Cumberland falls in eastern KY. Didn't seem to have any handling issues.
As others have said, check to make sure the pins are where they belong in the rear wheel. It should have turned up pretty quick, but the angle of the casting of the wheel and the straight pins if they are in the slots, wedge the pins into the wheel if the pins are not the holes -- could be causing your problem.... something to check by removing and looking.

BTW, I didn't do this.. the guy I purchased it from did.....!!:mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll double check it, but I remember it slapping around before I tightened it down and realized I missed the holes. Took it off and put it back on right. It was harder to get it on when it was on the holes and had to gently "persuade" it with a rubber mallet to get it down tight.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's been a crazy month, but I finally got a chance to get it on the stand tonight. It's definitely something with the back wheel. When I rotate the wheel every so often it sounds like a muffled drum. I also noticed a bit of play between the sprocket and the wheel, and fidgeting with the two I can recreate the noise. Could the cush drive be going bad?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts