Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can pick up a low sided 98 FE with 19,000 miles it has
Termi Cans. 41 flat sides and rear sets. Both the front
rear fairings have a crack. Its no garage queen but sounds
and runs fine.
Though it would be a good restoration project does $4500
seem like a fair price? Title is clean.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Add up parts prices of the things you must replace to make it decent, then lets see if that price sounds good.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Add up parts prices of the things you must replace to make it decent, then lets see if that price sounds good.
Thanks for the response Seems sellers feel that the buzz about these being the next collector
bike has clean ones priced at $12,000 to $14,000 in my area. I don't think they are selling at
that price. This one started at $7,500 and he said no way to my $4,500 offer but a few weeks
later seems my offer is looking good. Clean one or 2 owner SS/SP models are asking $6,500 to
$7,000. I like the looks of the FE since it has the Superlight Looks and all of the improvements
they made over the years.
$4,500 still seems a little high that's why I posted in this forum to see what the riders who love
this bike thought.
Here is the fairing damage properly fixed by placing a white number plate over it:surprise:

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think that sounds a little high as I've seen them between 3500 and $4000. Like duc96cr said, what's the cost of replacement pieces and the hidden ones as well.
I repurchased my 95' CR and put nearly what I paid into the bike to make it rideable, and it wasn't wrecked.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I think they may be a bit premature about the the collectibility factor and I think you need to shop elsewhere. The bike is non original and beat up and I've seen decent examples for under $6000 in my area. Don't do it with the idea you'll make money on it.

·
Premium Member
5,174 Posts
As others have said prices vary by location so decide based on what it is worth to you. If buying it for an investment... dont unless you plan on keeping it for a couple decades. If buying it because you always wanted one and do not mind throwing more money at it at some point I say enjoy!

The FE was the best year of the supersport (carby) as it has
1. The big charging system
2. the good rectifier
3. frames were not known to break
4. swingarms were not known to break
5. cylinder studs were not known to break

So most of the problem areas of the carby supersports were fixed at this point. That does not mean you will not need to fix things but it should remove a bunch of potential costs/issues.

On value. What do you think some of the other members here have into their bikes? I can name a few that are easily $10000 bikes if you were to count labor. If you are mechanical and want to do the labor is still costs but much less. In the end if it is for you and is a keeper the money matters little, if you are buying it to make a buck keep looking.

I do have a customer with FE bodywork he pulled from his bike when it was built so if you need some PM me and I can put you in touch. No it will not be cheap but it is oem in good shape with low miles.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Thanks for the response Seems sellers feel that the buzz about these being the next collector
bike has clean ones priced at $12,000 to $14,000 in my area. I don't think they are selling at
that price. This one started at $7,500 and he said no way to my $4,500 offer but a few weeks
later seems my offer is looking good. Clean one or 2 owner SS/SP models are asking $6,500 to
$7,000. I like the looks of the FE since it has the Superlight Looks and all of the improvements
they made over the years.
$4,500 still seems a little high that's why I posted in this forum to see what the riders who love
this bike thought.
Here is the fairing damage properly fixed by placing a white number plate over it:surprise:
95% of SS's have fairings cracked in those locations (and more!) that have repaired due to low-speed crashes or just tip-overs... from the appearance of the insides, my fairings are clearly from two different bikes It's a MIRACLE the turn signal lens isn't trashed. The shape of the fairings on these bikes doesn't let you install frame sliders without cutting holes in the fairing on the side, and the turn signal bulge is right where it wants to hit the ground first. Repair and repaint cost me about $600 for one side with the decals (lower full fairing panel and mirror) but would be cheaper doing two as they'll paint both at the same time. Not cheap but you get a 100% perfect product. You can do the repair anytime, it's not like it will keep you from riding the bike.

Wow if I could get $7K for my SP I'd do it in a heartbeat. Wanna' buy it?

FE is a nice bike, the nicest of the carbed SS's (except for mine which is THE BEST) and the FCR's are a big bonus. You'll be able to lift the front in 2nd gear. :cool:. Cost through Sudco is around $1,500 for the kit, you could sell them for $1000 tomorrow and have the buyer send you their stock Mikunis if you'll never use the extra power... FCR's make cold weather starting and cold idling a lot more challenging. The suspension sucks compared to any Duc superbike but it's upgradable for a price and fine for most street riding.

As with any bike, depends what you want it for... I will never buy a bike because I am hoping it will become more valuable as a collectors' item. I buy them to ride.

As others have noted, you can sink as much $$ into these bikes as you want...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info this is why I posted here. This was never going to be a collector or investment
bike for me its just another weekend toy like my Hyper. I still might talk myself into buying it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts