Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 1200S

I only recently discovered that the multistrada will display a low oil warning on the dash and it will show you how low it is (supposedly in 50ml increments).

About a week after wishing I could see it one day, and wondering what it looks like, it started coming on when I start up my bike.

There is plenty of oil in the bike each time, and it always seems to display a different number (-550, -600 etc). it goes away after about 2 seconds when I start the bike, but what do you think could be causing this? It's definitely not low oil. I measure through the window with the bike on the center stand and will have it halfway between the marks, or touching the top mark.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
the amount is only approximate... use the sight glass to top off. it always goes off so pay attention when it pops up. if you're at the right level (should be checked on level ground not on either stand with the bike held upright) then maybe the level sensor is faulty. Mine has only gone on when the level was below the line (very bottom of sight glass).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the amount is only approximate... use the sight glass to top off. it always goes off so pay attention when it pops up. if you're at the right level (should be checked on level ground not on either stand with the bike held upright) then maybe the level sensor is faulty. Mine has only gone on when the level was below the line (very bottom of sight glass).
I know that's the proper method, but I've checked it on and off the center stand, and I cannot tell a difference in the oil level displayed in the glass bezel. It is exactly the same.

Is the oil sensor easy to get to? I would clean it if I could.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Are you sure the oil low alarm is referring to level not pressure? The 2017 only has pressure. As the bike has a wet sump, I would guess that the oil level can get quite low before the oil pressure alarm would show a problem due to oil level. So, this could just be an oil pressure sensor or wiring issue or a genuine problem with the oil pump. I'm not sure about the 2015 but on the 2107 Enduro, the switch is at the top left of the oil cooler (item 12). I'd check the plug connection first and if there is still a problem, consider replacing the pressure switch. I believe that the switch is normally closed and opens when the motor starts and pressure builds up so this can easily be tested using a multimeter for continuity with ground.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just checked the 2015 manual; the oil system is the same as mine. Pressure not level. If you Google "Multistrada oil level switch" you will find pictures of oil pressure switches. There is no oil level switch.

·
Registered
123 Posts

That is all the possible items to be displayed on the instrument panel of a 1200 DVT. (minus the multimedia stuff, of course)
Is it appearing in position 7?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
View attachment 979898

That is all the possible items to be displayed on the instrument panel of a 1200 DVT. (minus the multimedia stuff, of course)
Is it appearing in position 7?
I do have that light, and it works as it should, but that's not what I'm talking about.
The indicator is displayed just above the two helmets and luggage.
I have a video, but my phone is being a donkey. Gimme a sec.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I can't attach a video, so here is a bad quality screenshot from the video.

·
Registered
414 Posts
WTH?
I just had the desmo service at 18,000. Don't they change the oil?
It's not an active measurement of oil life, It's just based on miles since the oil light was reset last. And they can't reset the light early. If it’s not on yet, they have to do the service then reset the light later. Not clear to me if resetting the desmo light also resets the oil light, but it looks like not.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im pretty sure the light comes on as part of the startup routine to show the lights work and the system works. If it didnt come on when you turn on the ignition I'd be worried about it.

2015 1200S

I only recently discovered that the multistrada will display a low oil warning on the dash and it will show you how low it is (supposedly in 50ml increments).

About a week after wishing I could see it one day, and wondering what it looks like, it started coming on when I start up my bike.

There is plenty of oil in the bike each time, and it always seems to display a different number (-550, -600 etc). it goes away after about 2 seconds when I start the bike, but what do you think could be causing this? It's definitely not low oil. I measure through the window with the bike on the center stand and will have it halfway between the marks, or touching the top mark.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Im pretty sure the light comes on as part of the startup routine to show the lights work and the system works. If it didnt come on when you turn on the ignition I'd be worried about it.
No. That’s not how that indicator works. It’s on the LCD and only comes on at startup when you’re within 600 miles of an oil change being due. Once the counter runs down to zero miles, it stays on permanently. It’s not one of the lights on the edge of the dash that light up at power on for testing. It’s an actual message.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts