Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Multi riders,

One of my riding pals has become a proud owner of a big multistrada...

He experienced the following issue: the engine oil in cold weather at high speeds cools down too much, which possibly threatens the engine.

Anyone experienced something similar?

Could you give an advice how should he fix this?

(our guess is that he should temporally cover the oil radiator dunring long trips with a heat resistant deflector or something like that to reduce the airflow - cooling effect of cold weather)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
oil temp?

my first question before attempting an answer is, what is too much? ya should be running multi grade oil that has a wide temp range. but then, if it is that cold where you are riding, maybe you need to change oil grade. then, there is always the chance that something is wrong, but i really don't remember if there is a thermostat controling oil flow through the cooler or not. lots of trucks cover thier radiators in the winter for the same reason.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
There are a few things you can do to mitigate the effects of cold weather riding.

Cover the oilcooler with something. I´ve seen ductape and cardboard used. Just something to keep the air from rushing trough. Keep an eye on the temp meter. EDIT: I semi-cover my radiator aswell...

Use a oil that is better suited for cold weather. The diffrence between a 10-40 and 20-60w oil is apparent when the bike isn´t getting enough temps. Go for a lower weight oil. Maybe even a 0-30 if you can find one that has the right specs.

Preheating the engine for a few minutes before taking off is also a good idea.

That´s about it i guess... Unless you want to cover the engine, which i wouldn´t, since it might get you hot and cold spots under the covering.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
amullo said:
Cover the oilcooler with something. I´ve seen ductape and cardboard used. Just something to keep the air from rushing trough. Keep an eye on the temp meter. EDIT: I semi-cover my radiator aswell...
For riding an air cooled duc, this is what most people do. just covering up the oil cooler with aluminum foil seems to do the job of keeping the oil temp high enough to burn off all the moisture and acids in the oil. but watch that the oil temp doesn't get too high.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just have your friend cover it w/a piece of aluminum foil. You can stuff it in place and wrap it so you do not need tape, etc.
Also tell him not to get too alarmed when riding in heavy rain if he see's the temp drop dramaticlly too. Just the wonders of an air-cooled motor. Dont worry just have fun.

D

·
0 Posts
jbcaddy said:
but i really don't remember if there is a thermostat controling oil flow through the cooler or not.
No there's no thermostat on the Multi, the oil is flowing non-stop through the cooler.

dartfrog said:
Also tell him not to get too alarmed when riding in heavy rain if he see's the temp drop dramaticlly too. Just the wonders of an air-cooled motor. Dont worry just have fun.
That's right. About a year ago, I was riding under heavy rain for more than 4 hours and after a while the oil temp on the clocks was so low that it showed only dashes which got me worried. I stoped at a gas station only to see it rise above 80 C in no time at all :), so I just continiued.

Bottom line: no worries about the low temp showing, but if the weather is too cold, then appropriate oil (viscosity) and pre-ride preheating of the engine are all that needs to be done.

Doc

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine runs excessively cold when the ambient temp drops or when riding in the rain. Blocking-off the air flow to the cooler helps a tiny bit, I've even considered installing a block heater and running it off the bike's electrics. I know it sounds ridiculous - a heat generating machine needing a heater - but considering how simple the solution is, so what! Since cold weather has passed for this year, I'll have time to ponder 'till next winter.
Another possibility would be to install an "extended" chin spoiler to block some of the cooling air flow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts