Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike is new to me as of November - it just got it's second tank of gas. I calculated my mileage after a 3.6 gallon fill up. With 105 miles showing on the tripometer that comes to 28.5 MPG. Granted, my commute is fairly short (maybe five miles) and it takes a few minutes to warm up in the morning, but it's not ridden hard. The bike also smells like gas - it's probably just the exhaust. I don't see any obvious leaks or anything - what can I check or change to improve my MPG?

On the plus side, it's better than twice the 12.5 MPG I get with my 2001 F-150 FX-4. :)

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I think that something must be wrong. I think that most ST riders are getting about 40mpg. I would lift the tank and check all of the fuel lines, just because a gas leak is pretty dangerous.
What kind of pipes, chip, and air filter/ air box are you using. Sounds like you are running pretty rich. The PO may have adjusted the trimmer pot way up.
Check the archives: for trimmer pot advice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response Butch.

The bike has no mods that I am aware of. Pipes are definately stock as is the airbox. I've also been thinking that it's running rich. I'll check the trimmer pot tomorrow after work and report back.

Thanks again!

Edit: Ok - I need to ask - where is the trimmer pot located? I had thought on the computer under the seat, but the sticker on the computer is intact. Do I need to remove the sticker covering the hole or is this pot located elsewhere?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
If the bike is stock there's something wrong. I have a '01 ST4 and get 48mpg with half highway, half moutain enthusiastic rding. Babying it will yield over 50mpg. The worst I got was 45mpg. Maybe the problem is mechanical rather than electronic. Have you checked the usual suspects, valve clearance, plugs, etc?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can not attest to the valve clearance, but I replaced the plugs when I got the bike. (The plugs in the bike at the time were horribly fouled) And the bike has about 8700 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Well that does sound like she's been running rich so maybe it is a Fuel Injection issue. Can the previous owner shed any light on it?

·
Registered
319 Posts
if its new to you it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to take it in for a "once over" and a tune up, just so you know where your starting from. At 8700 miles there is plenty of life left in the bike. but like any piece of fine machinery you need to care for it! If you are wrenching your self get the desmo times guide:

http://www.desmotimes.com/
its a great help!!
if not post on here again for a good mechanic in your area!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts