Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Honestly, smells like a pieced-together parts bin special, even as some parts may be nice. the fairing damage pic is of a garage/parking lot sidestand drop. The headlight bucket being massively broken on both sides tracks with "your brother" not knowing what happened.

To my mind, none of the OP's carefully crafted "my brother states..." story tracks. Let's see the real pix of the bike after the endo that destroyed that bucket. Or it's a parts bin bike at $3000. If the title's clean.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Came here for a price quote.
Got feedback.
Didnt like price.
Asked WAY more then most thought....
No not selling.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Honestly, smells like a pieced-together parts bin special, even as some parts may be nice. the fairing damage pic is of a garage/parking lot sidestand drop. The headlight bucket being massively broken on both sides tracks with "your brother" not knowing what happened.

To my mind, none of the OP's carefully crafted "my brother states..." story tracks. Let's see the real pix of the bike after the endo that destroyed that bucket. Or it's a parts bin bike at $3000. If the title's clean.[/QUOTE

Carefully crafted? You are implying that I am dishonest and trying to pull one over on prospective buyers? If that was my aim, I surely wouldn't post the after accident photos. As for value, the suggestions were hovering around 5k for a value. It's in the classifieds at $5,300 with offers accepted.

My brother struggled with addiction, and on June 29th, he passed after becoming dehydrated on a 184 mile dirt bike ride through Utah. He didn't provide me with any additional details on how he crashed the bike, and I didn't press him on it. He shipped the bike in the post accident condition on a pallet, and I picket up parts over a couple years on ebay to repair the damage. It is not a pristine 916, but it is presented honestly. Don't like the bike? Don't buy it. But reserve your character assassination for those situations where you have at least a shred of proof.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Please accept my apologies for the harshness of my posting. I was, however, giving an honest [likely jaded] reaction to the pix and supporting info initially presented. Best of luck with the sale.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Wow - what a beauty - looks hardly at all any usage.... What was the mileage when you bought it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
As a price reference, I bought a very clean and mostly original '95 916 Strada last August for $4250.
Thanks for that information - very helpful in understanding the current market. Most of the 916's I have seen are either beat or are pristine and asking for very high valuations.

·
Registered
102 Posts
suggested price was $5k, now in the classifieds at $5,300 accepting best offers.

Not really.
you got a "$5k, if that" comment before most of the details and pictures.
Also a "you will have to figure out how much you are willing to invest to make it a $5k bike" type of comment as well.

So what did you do?

Listed it for $6k.

It screams you are not a real seller, and triggers buyer to not even bother dealing with you.
While one can understand wanting to squeeze every penny out of a sale, the people that are able to do that are knowledgeable about what they are selling and the market. Those that are not need to adjust expectations.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Not really.
you got a "$5k, if that" comment before most of the details and pictures.
Also a "you will have to figure out how much you are willing to invest to make it a $5k bike" type of comment as well.

So what did you do?

Listed it for $6k.

It screams you are not a real seller, and triggers buyer to not even bother dealing with you.
While one can understand wanting to squeeze every penny out of a sale, the people that are able to do that are knowledgeable about what they are selling and the market. Those that are not need to adjust expectations.
That feedback is fair, but I would point out that the comments on this forum are one input into value. The other is the bikes listed for sale that are reasonable comps. Consider this salvage title, not street legal bike as a comp at $5,300:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1997-Ducati-916-MONOPOSTO-5008709337

Or this one with triple the mileage and noted scratches and marks at $8k:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1995-Ducati-916-5009016471

Recently they listed a clean 916 with double the mileage but listed as no damage for $13k.

I am an interested seller, and I am trying to set a fair price. Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The issue is that you are setting a price based on other people’s asking prices. People can ask what ever they want, and it is some times hard to track how long a specific bike is for sale. Also it is very hard to know what a bike actually traded hands for.

The advice from a board like this will be more in line to what people are actually paying.

Maybe someone is out there that will Buy your bike for $5k, and maybe it takes a year to find that guy.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'll give you $1500. for your Bitsa bike but that's it, To me it is worth no more--it's been wrecked and not repaired completely or properly, I am not trying to insult you but I am looking at this from nothing more then $$$--cost of the bike & what am I going to have to spend to make it perfect again so I can sell it and make a profit

·
Registered
905 Posts
Setting a price equal to comparable bikes for sale is in my opinion, what people who aren't serious about selling do, unless you see the comparable bikes selling. Bikes which are listed for sale, are for the most part by definition listed at prices which the market doesn't buy at. Anything listed at close to a price the market will buy at (real market value) gets sold. The closer a bike is listed to real market value, the faster it sells. With this in mind, my pricing practice is always to list at a price a bit under comparable listings. If the price is close to the market, I expect prospective buyers to call me first since, my bike will appear to be the least expensive option (ie. the best opportunity for a buyer to get a deal). When I list below comparables and the phone doesn't ring or I don't get messages, I know the price is still too high and lower it till I start to get interest.

If you want to sell, this is what you do. If you want to list along with all the other comparable bikes, you price at the same levels of the comparables and are happy to have a listing as opposed to a sale. My two cents after buying and selling over 2 dozen bikes in the last 8 years...

·
Registered
569 Posts
.. When I list below comparables and the phone doesn't ring or I don't get messages, I know the price is still too high and lower it till I start to get interest.

If you want to sell, this is what you do. If you want to list along with all the other comparable bikes, you price at the same levels of the comparables and are happy to have a listing as opposed to a sale. My two cents after buying and selling over 2 dozen bikes in the last 8 years...
^this. this response reflects understanding of market dynamics. Fantastic bike that nobody wants to buy at the listed price. . Ouch. Been there. Look at Ferrarris in 2010 vs now. What its worth is what people are willing to give you. Full Stop.

The Solution is to listen to the market - lower the price, unfortunately, til numerous nibbles begin to happen. Then you're in the game. Markets for low quantity [limited # of items and buyers] are highly volatile, unless you have a Unicorn for sale - for a 916, that would be a clean, low mileage, all original, Varese-framed, monoposto, aluminum subframe, numbers matching, with all records of service & ownership, example.. with the only mods being by Termi or Ohlins. Those are collectible and increasing in value. All others are riders, fixers/beaters, or parts bikes.

The fact that its made by Ducati doesn't get you home with a bag of Benjamins, by any means. I and many here know from hard experience. You're coming here asking, so do respectfully listen to the learned opinions folks here are taking their personal time to share with you.
HTML:

61 - 75 of 75 Posts