Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm looking at buying a 2003 749 with less than 500 miles for $7,500. Needless to say, this bike has done a lot of sitting around. The seller says he drained the fuel (I'm guessing a long time ago), but didn't drain the oil. I'm thinking if I buy this bike, I'll do a complete tune up, replacing all of the fluids, the battery, and the tires. Any other suggestions?

Is there anything inherently wrong with the '03 749? Is there something I need to watch out for?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If I were you, I would buy an 05 or 03 that's maintained and serviced regularly for that price. With all the tune up money you are going to spend, you could almost get a used 999 or 848 :)

No, there is nothing wrong with the 03 749. The 05+ 749 got the 03 749s engine

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If I were you, I would buy an 05 or 03 that's maintained and serviced regularly for that price. With all the tune up money you are going to spend, you could almost get a used 999 or 848 :)

No, there is nothing wrong with the 03 749. The 05+ 749 got the 03 749s engine
+1 Your going to spend nearly 800.00 on the service potentially (including mandatory new belts). I would rather have an 05/06 with 12,000 miles and a service history. I'm not a big fan of the early swing arms either but that's a cosmetic issue for me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I can't comment on the "for the price" aspect, but I can speak to some potential areas of concern for a bike that has sat that long. This is not inclusive, but here goes:

Brakes/Clutch master cylinders and calipers. That's not a awful long time to sit, but the fluid WILL have moisture in it. To what degree, I don't know. I doubt it would cause a piston to hang, but you definately need to change this.

Belts-Anyone's guess. Folks say two years. That's a pretty long time for the belts to stay in one position without knowing the environment they lived in. Cheap insurance to change. Yes, we've all heard of stupid high mileage belts, but still, one snap=big repair bills.

Engine/oil-There will likely be some oxidation on the inside of the motor where the oil has long since migrated off of. The oil sitting is not a problem, but it will be full of nasties. There also won't be any lube in the top end the first time you hit the starter button. If it were me, I'd change the oil/filter with the bike cold, and ambient tempurature warm (like 75+ if possible). Before you start the bike, do a key on, kill switch off, run starter to circulate some oil through the passages. Do this two or three or four times (don't burn your starter motor up!) and go ahead and start it normally. Follow a break in oil change regimine; change oil again after 600-1000 miles to clear the gunk left in the motor.

You MAY encounter some oil leaks from dry seals for a while, but maybe not. These should go away after they're exposed to oil and swell up as normal.

It should be fine though.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i would count on a major service for ANY 749 i bought,reguardless of year or mileage.while some like the newer swingarm,i love the look the 03-04 fairing vents,making it a no-brainer choice for me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts