Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, not a great start with the relationship with my new lady. :frown2: Took the bike to work today (about 3 miles ride), parked the bike for about 4 hours. Went to start the bike to get home, and Low Fuel light was flashing (one red bar) and range was showing 0.

Bike started, I was puzzle because I literally put less than 20 miles on it. Went to a nearby gas station, fill it up (.25 gallons), same result.

Rode it home and call the dealer and they think is a faulty fuel sensor that may need to be replaced with a better unit (My bike is a 2016).

Good thing I bought the extended warranty from them, so all would be covered, but I now have to ride it back 3 hours up north to get it worked on.

Is this a common issue? Anyone else had a similar issue? :confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
There's a sticky thread above about the issue. I've experienced similar problems with the fuel gauge reading empty, but it came back after riding around for about 30 mins.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yep. My 2016 does the same. It will drop to empty, come back sometimes (sometimes not), go back to zero. After a stop and restart the gauge almost always works again, for a while. The starts the dance again.
When it goes in for the 18k Desmo service, I'll have then replace it.

My service guy says they are on the 6th version of the fuel sender.
I know stuff happens, but it's not like Ducati had to invent concept and prototype of a gas gauge.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'll be going to my 4th soon (or is it 5th?) as the last one, rev D, has failed after almost 2 years; no warranty. The old part number doesn't come up with anything on Ducati Omaha so I will have my local dealer order it. I plan to change this one myself, but my bike has other issues right now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a sticky thread above about the issue. I've experienced similar problems with the fuel gauge reading empty, but it came back after riding around for about 30 mins.
Raining today so I was not able to take her out. Will giv it a shot tomorrow if I get better weather.

Dealer in KC has the 'newer' part. Looks like they have gone through a few versions/ recalls on this. Never had issues with my BMW, hard to believe they can get it right.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I also have fuel gauge issues with my Honda and my buddy has issues with his KTM 1190 Adventure. I heard it could be due to the ethanol in the fuel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, went for a ride today and stopped for lunch after about 30 miles. When I started the bike up, low fuel light was gone and it was displaying the correct fuel level.

I also have fuel gauge issues with my Honda and my buddy has issues with his KTM 1190 Adventure. I heard it could be due to the ethanol in the fuel.
On my way home I filled her up with no ethanol gas (about 1/2 tank). Maybe this will help also. Good thing is that we have plenty of stations with No ethanol gas in my neck of the woods.

Still planning on getting it replaced but maybe no as urgently as i thought.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good deal. Wish I had non-ethanol gas out here in CA. I will get my fuel gauge replaced before warranty expires. The malfunction has happened a couple of times now in the 6 months I've owned it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ducati has a recall on it. They should cover it regardless of your extended warranty. When I bought my 2016, the dealer knew about it and replaced it no charge. Since then no problem knock on wood.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ducati has a recall on it. They should cover it regardless of your extended warranty. When I bought my 2016, the dealer knew about it and replaced it no charge. Since then no problem knock on wood.
Dealer told me that the recall was actually done on my bike, but there is an even newer version of the sensor (rev E). I'll get it done eventually....

·
Registered
226 Posts
As good a place as any to add my recent experience.

Add me to the list. 1600 mile MTS 1200S Touring. Bought as leftover new stock last year., so under factory warranty. I tried to persuade them to update the sensor/sender before purchase, but noooo, it hadda fail first. So, here we are. Part on order.

Two thoughts: BMW isn't immune. Google BMW motorcycle fuel level strip. Big issue with some GS-es. The fuel gauge on early F800s is so bad they refer to it as the "guess" gauge. The second thought is "why motorcycles?" If (insert your choice of car maker here) had this kind of pervasive problems with the fuel level sensor, the NTSB would be involved, and it would've made 20/20 or Dateline by now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts