Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my '06 ST3s in May, have my first problem.
I don't know when it happened, but my low beam is out. I had it at the dealer for the 6K service, so I asked them to change the bulb. They told me that when they did, the bulb blew again--too much juice to the socket. I didn't have the time or the $$$ inclination to have them track the problem down.

The only thing I've done to the bike is to hard wire my Valentine 1 to the battery. Is there something headlight-connected down in the battery area that I might have screwed up while making the connection, or in taking off and then installing the fairing?

Help??

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
There is a relay under the LH of the top fairing (near the fuse box) that can sometimes cause problems. Not sure how it would cause too much voltage to the bulb but maybe a spike...
Anyway try replacing the relay and see if the problem recurs.

·
Super Moderator
5,079 Posts
I don't know how the headlight could receive enough voltage to blow the filament. Maybe there's a bad ground? (would more resistance in the ground result in greater amperage across the bulb? I don't remember enough of my physics!)

Anyway...do what Gearbox suggested...change the relay. I used an Echlin relay from NAPA auto parts: AR614. Only about $8.00. Buy some spare bulbs there too in the event the relay wasn't it!;)

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Does the high beam blow also? Check the voltage!
If the VR loses it's ground reference it will put out enough voltage to mess up a bunch of stuff!

·
2,650 Posts
Does the high beam blow also? Check the voltage!
If the VR loses it's ground reference it will put out enough voltage to mess up a bunch of stuff!
That would only happen when the engine was run surely ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know how the headlight could receive enough voltage to blow the filament. Maybe there's a bad ground? (would more resistance in the ground result in greater amperage across the bulb? I don't remember enough of my physics!)

Anyway...do what Gearbox suggested...change the relay. I used an Echlin relay from NAPA auto parts: AR614. Only about $8.00. Buy some spare bulbs there too in the event the relay wasn't it!;)
Thanks for all the advice. To sort of answer all the questions at once, no the high beam does not blow. It remains on whether the bike is running or not, once the ignition is turned on.

I will try the relay, and thanks for the part #! And I'll get some spare bulbs--does anyone know offhand what part # bulb to get?

Thanks much.

·
2,650 Posts
A 2006 ST3 should be H9 High Beam and H7 Dip Beam
At least that is what mine is (was) but may be worth chceking your handbook because you know what Ducati are like !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for all the help. Went to NAPA, picked up the relay and a couple bulbs, and sure enough, that fixed the problem.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts