Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was messing about with the low beam connector in preparation of installing a volt meter and I lost power to my low beam. Is there some hidden fuse for this bloody thing? I am about to go out there and peel off the fairings to find the fault. Sure wish I could just replace a fuse!
Nothing blown up forward and nothing blown under the seat.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I don't know of any other fuse for the head light. I'll ask the dumb question, however... On the ST2, I THINK you have a high/low beam arrangement that is either-or, not both. Are you sure the high beam switch didn't get pressed? If there is a problem, and the fuse is not blown, then likely it is the left hand switch or the infamous large connector under the nose fairing.

Could the bulb have blown?

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
I'd pull the bulb and see if it's blown. Do you need to strip the fairing? On my ST3 you don't...just take of the fascia plate below the instruments and you have access.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I pulled the fairing, both sides, starting from the top. Mostly because I never have, and also maybe a little frustration. I had no more access to the problem area then I did without pulling the fairing. Once I unmounted the gauge cluster there was plenty of room. I wanted to tap into the forward fuse panel though. I was going to pull the spare fuse holder and wire into it but I couldn't get the individual unused fuse holders out. There are yellow strips in it preventing this. LATER I saw the nubs of the yellow strips sticking out where I guess I could have removed them. If you have been in there you know what I mean. Anyway I tapped off the low beam wire properly with solder and heat shrink and all is well.
By the way. The reason low beam was out was the ground wire pulled off the bulb holder. Yes..well..
So now I have a volt meter easily viewable. It does read about 7 tenths low, but that's fine. I will certainly know if there is trouble in electric land. My alternator warning light does not seem to work. I do have a mosfet regulator installed and I think I read somewhere that it takes out the charging light.
Pic later.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Did you check the alt light for continuity? First things first. Should be easy to get to wires at this point.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The alternator light lights up when the key is first turned on then goes out BEFORE the engine is runing. It's working, just not right. I am sure that this is a trade off from installing the mosfet regulator. I think. I know I read it somewhere. I think. I did just install a volt meter though so I will not be loosing sleep over this.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
The generator light only works with the very early specific V/R/R that has an actual wire coming out of it for that purpose. Any of the later OEM single or three phase V/R/Rs do not have that wire. None of the MOSFET replacements have a provision for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts