Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Ducati ST3
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Historically, I have always felt that motorcycle horns sound anemic. They can be heard, but don't really get people's attention, especially those who hearing has been impaired. So whenever possible I have replaced the horns on my bikes with ones that sound more like auto horns. I now have an ST3 so I have been researching what horn upgrades for this model. The Stebel air horn has been one solution so I purchased one and was investigating installing it. It is very loud, but very heavy and bulky, making it hard to install. I had the fairings off and decided to "size" the opening where the original horn is placed. Then I had a memory flash! I remembered that I still had a Fiamm Freeway Blaster, still in the package, lying around. I found and and checked to see how it fit. It was perfect! Using the provided bracket and the existing OEM wiring it went in easily. Now I have a much louder automotive sounding horn that was cheap, as low as $11.96 on Amazon, that is even lighter than the stock horn and took less that 10 minutes to install. I have including some pictures on the horn and how well it fits.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice tip, thanks for sharing!

On a related note, I was able to go out for a ride the other day and when I accidentally stalled my cold bike, I stabbed the horn button instead of the start button in my hurry to restart the bike. I laughed out loud (inside my helmet) at my mistake but then I thought to myself, that horn is pretty weak sounding. For less than $12 I may have to give this one a try!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hmmm, my left bodywork is off right now and I was contemplating adding LT's horn upgrade. Nice to have options..................

·
Premium Member
12,446 Posts
The Stebel air horns can be split, the trumpet from the compressor for easier installation, and a much louder horn. Some plastic fittings some braided flexible tubing and related wiring to finish. Finding a route is the tricky part. The mounting brakets are designed to vibrate for optimum volume. Stebel air horns will get the desired attention you want.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was able to do a direct replacement of the stock horn on my Multi with one of these horns:
PIAA 85114 Slim Line
Works well and is very loud.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Historically, I have always felt that motorcycle horns sound anemic. They can be heard, but don't really get people's attention, especially those who hearing has been impaired. So whenever possible I have replaced the horns on my bikes with ones that sound more like auto horns. I now have an ST3 so I have been researching what horn upgrades for this model. The Stebel air horn has been one solution so I purchased one and was investigating installing it. It is very loud, but very heavy and bulky, making it hard to install. I had the fairings off and decided to "size" the opening where the original horn is placed. Then I had a memory flash! I remembered that I still had a Fiamm Freeway Blaster, still in the package, lying around. I found and and checked to see how it fit. It was perfect! Using the provided bracket and the existing OEM wiring it went in easily. Now I have a much louder automotive sounding horn that was cheap, as low as $11.96 on Amazon, that is even lighter than the stock horn and took less that 10 minutes to install. I have including some pictures on the horn and how well it fits.
Do yourself one better; buy a pair of Fiamm horns one "high note" and one "low note" find a spot to mount them and then get all the attention a car gets.The twin notes set the tone(pun intended)

Installation note: you have to use the thin flat bladed metal strip to install the horn and the horns cannot touch anything else. If the horn is bolted solid to or touches anything it prevents the horn body from vibrating and the the resulting noise will be a low groan or buzz.

LOUD horns save lives!
Ride On (loudly)

Dave

·
Premium Member
2004 Ducati ST3
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1 on the Slim Line by PIAA. Very pleased with them. Link here: To Air Horn or not?
Do yourself one better; buy a pair of Fiamm horns one "high note" and one "low note" find a spot to mount them and then get all the attention a car gets.The twin notes set the tone(pun intended)

Installation note: you have to use the thin flat bladed metal strip to install the horn and the horns cannot touch anything else. If the horn is bolted solid to or touches anything it prevents the horn body from vibrating and the the resulting noise will be a low groan or buzz.

LOUD horns save lives!
Ride On (loudly)

Dave
A pair? I only had the one horn on hand. I'll give that some thought. It looks like there is enough room to fit another one in there. I'll also check out the PIAA 85114 Slim Line as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts