Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I just bought myself a ST4S 2001, standing with stock exhaust. From what I understand, the slipons that followed are Ducati Performance. These dont seem to have dbkillers. Is these slipons much louder than stock? Will it be annoyingly loud on longer trips? Is it possible to buy "universal" dbkillers, and trill a hole on the underside off the slipons tip, or will that be hard/impossible? I do want a bit more noise(music), but I dont want to go deaf from long trips:confused:

·
Mr Leakered
8,859 Posts
It takes two minutes to swap the cans. Two bolts, a spring, and you're done. Give them a shot.

For me, the open airbox gives off more noise than the open clutch or cans without dB killers. And for any speeds over about 35mph, earplugs are needed more for wind noise anyway.

After years with my Remus cans, I still enjoy them and still head out of my neighborhood at 6am with no complaints.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you're worried about hearing loss, earplugs are a must.

Agree with the previous post --give 'em a try and see what you think. My carbon FBF cans were louder than stock, not so much at idle, but definitely WOT and decel. No idea how they compare to the DB cans though.

If you find them too loud, you might try repacking or generic DB killers. Don't know where you're located, but these guys have all the stuff you could need: PJ Engineering - Product Detail Page - Manufacturers & suppliers of High Temp. Carbon Fibre, Stainless & Titanium Tubes and Performance Motorcycle Exhaust parts in Lincolnshire, UK

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club!

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
I finally found a set of DP cans for my ST3. It is louder than stock but not obnoxious. While riding I notice it more around 4,000 rpm or so...there is some kind of resonance wave set up with the exhaust and my helmet. My Sena headset speakers start to vibrate...kind of cool ( :wink2: ). Above that rpm, the sound is noticeable but pleasant. I don't feel the need to wear ear plugs because of the exhaust...I've been on some bikes (my friend's Monster with Termis) where ear plugs were required.

I had my ECU replaced and it was tuned for stock cans and an open air box. I found running both the open air box with the DP cans gave me some popping and burbling on deceleration. I put the stock air box lid back on and everything is fine. I agree with Tony, the open air box is a bit noisy, especially with hard acceleration and deceleration. I liked it though (maybe I'm a pirate at heart).

·
Mr Leakered
8,859 Posts
I finally found a set of DP cans for my ST3. It is louder than stock but not obnoxious. While riding I notice it more around 4,000 rpm or so...there is some kind of resonance wave set up with the exhaust and my helmet. My Sena headset speakers start to vibrate...kind of cool ( :wink2: ). Above that rpm, the sound is noticeable but pleasant. I don't feel the need to wear ear plugs because of the exhaust...I've been on some bikes (my friend's Monster with Termis) where ear plugs were required.

I had my ECU replaced and it was tuned for stock cans and an open air box. I found running both the open air box with the DP cans gave me some popping and burbling on deceleration. I put the stock air box lid back on and everything is fine. I agree with Tony, the open air box is a bit noisy, especially with hard acceleration and deceleration. I liked it though (maybe I'm a pirate at heart).
After I cored the stock cans, I got a bad resonance at around 4k, which is a bad RPM for cruising around. It was one of the main reasons for getting a real set of slip-ons. If yours were well used, some new packing might take care of that? Stuffing some steel wool in various parts of the cored cans (the exposed and no longer used mid tubes) helped a bit for me.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Slip-On exhaust with db killer

I can see there are many brands available. Arrow, DP and ....

I can only comment on the GPR brand slip-on carbon cans, Oval type.

They come with removable db killers. I run mine w/o any db killer and like the sound. I wear earplugs all the time mostly because of the wind noise. Overall, the sound is nice and the weight savings is AMAZING. When you lift the OE can vs the carbon, you'll realize the benefit of weight reduction.

ducati gpr exhaust st4s | eBay

The overall GPR line-up for the ST4s: https://www.gpr-motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/shop/brand/ducati-exhausts/st4-s

Steve

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have the GPR Furore on my 99 ST4.I run them without the dp killers and yes they are loud but they do sound great, ear plugs are a must. The few times I used the dp killers they definitely toned it down a lot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the GPR Furore on my 99 ST4.I run them without the dp killers and yes they are loud but they do sound great, ear plugs are a must. The few times I used the dp killers they definitely toned it down a lot.

I can also attest to how loud the GPR pipes are without db killers. After running them out for awhile, I decided to put them back in. With my setup (BB kit motor) the sound is actually more pleasant and richer with the end caps in, but I can't tell any difference in power which is nice. More than I can say for any full on baffles that go several inches down inside the pipe, every bike I've ever had is greatly chocked down by those. Quality is far better than the Two Brothers on my old bike, you get what you pay for when it comes to exhausts.

Nice thing about the Ducs V8 type sound is that it's far less irritating for long distances or to bystanders than a high pitch screamer like my old Speed Triple. Instead of pissing people off left and right, I get people telling me how much they love the brawny V8 like sound.

·
Registered
235 Posts
When I had my Monster 750, I put a set of Wileyco pipes on it. At first I thought it was a bit loud, but oh.... that sound... 8) The next time I heard a Harley with straight pipes, I realized that my Monster wasn't as loud as I thought. It was a very deep sound, hit-ya-in-the-chest kind of sound. I heard a Harley rider brag, once, that he could set off any car alarm in a parking garage. Um... My Monster could set them off on the open street. :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the Termignoni race cans on my 900SSie, and I have never thought it was very loud, actually.

I have an open airbox and K&N filter, and on full throttle, this makes more "noise" than the exhaust. At least to the rider.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts