Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been bothered by cops giving you a problem with SC and similar type exhaust slip ons ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Leo doesn't even sound louder than the SC. Was it a motorcycle cop ? They seem to be more acceptable of louder pipes than car patrol cops.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The thing i don't understand is how the Harley guy's get away with pipes that blows your eardrum when riding by. The SC and Hotbodies don't even come close to some of those.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've rode around with straight pipes without any issues here, but that's normal for my area.

Cops won't pull you over unless you're doing some straight stupid shit and on a slow enough bike for them to grab you--if you're going over 130 they already know they wont catch you.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen or heard of anyone getting a ticket for loud pipes around here.
Apparently the cops have better things to do, although maybe not by much.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Some cops are just not nice or they have nothing better to do just write up tickets to motorcycle riders under different pretexts or excuses..Here they hate bikers period have no ideea why?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sure wish law enforcement would ticket every vehicle making more noise than stock, pickup, tuner or motorcycle.

So tired of noise pollution.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sure wish law enforcement would ticket every vehicle making more noise than stock, pickup, tuner or motorcycle.
RSL,

Go cry to someone else, OP was asking if anyone had a run in with the law because of loud pipes, not what everyone's opinion on the matter was. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
I do state inspections on motorcycles in NH, we have to sound test them all. For the last 10 years we tested but about 5 years ago they changed the standard to a SAE test that has been spreading across the north east so far I believe it is used in Maine , New Hampshire and Canada . I am sure others have been adopting it as it is being pushed as "new and improved" over existing laws. It came about due to the Harleys leaving the bars at 1am at full throttle (you know 5000rpm >:)) and waking up people who buy expensive houses and call political people when this happens.

Bottom line the new test caused me to buy thousands of dollars worth of sound equipment, I asked my DOT inspection officer if the state police did the same? He said they had 1 or 2 meters in the state, you can count on your local police and sheriffs NOT having the equipment. This means if you take the ticket to court there is a increased chance of getting out of the ticket as the persons tasked with enforcing the law do not have the tools to do so.

They tried to make oem exhausts the only allowed exhausts but that was defeated thankfully but you should keep an eye on local laws because it is coming near a town near you.

Did it make any difference?
Not really the singles and twins are metered at a low rpm (thanks to harley) so a Ducati passes no problem because it is almost Idling. Tripples and above are metered at more than twice the rpms so I fail many more bikes that are not twins. So most of the bikes that are twins still pass but now more cylinders can fail you due to the rpms. This was shown at a local private track were they are having serious noise restrictions due to neighbors. Our track group metered everyone riding and we had about 12 box stock bikes fail the test including Panigales and a zero mile CBR1000rr the test was not designed for Bikes and the RPM's are what failed them. Everyone got to ride but one customer had to keep his Yamaha R6 below 6000rpm all day.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've never had so much as a glance from the local cops.
About half the time I ride with a gopro mount on my helmet too, and I'm told that this too is illegal (technically) where I'm from.

They passed a law just last month in Seattle that is honestly mind boggling.
If the police can hear your bike at all from a set distance. I think it was 200 feet, if memory serves.. Then they're too loud.

It doesn't make any sense, and I can't imagine they'd enforce it, but it's one of those empowering all encompassing laws perhaps, where they can use it if they feel like it?

No direct experience with it. It was mentioned on the monthly PNW motorcycle podcast.

I personally installed decibel killers on my full arrow exhaust, as it was slightly ridiculous in my opinion. They were making the windows shudder with the bike idling in the driveway.
The DB-killers did a crazy superb job of not stifling the awesome tone, but just tapping it down a notch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
RSL,

Go cry to someone else, OP was asking if anyone had a run in with the law because of loud pipes, not what everyone's opinion on the matter was. Thanks.
Putting my money where my mind is.

Very politically active. Significant contributions to politicians with the request for strict sound enforcement legislation.

Had sound tests for my AMA Dual Sport Ride events.

More enforcement tests are coming.

Note how communities are prohibiting motorcycles? Note how towns are enforcing sound limits for motorcycles?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Putting my money where my mind is.

More enforcement tests are coming.

Note how communities are prohibiting motorcycles? Note how towns are enforcing sound limits for motorcycles?

Where? Oh, you must mean those few totally screwed up states where you couldn’t pay me enough to live in. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had the single CR-T on my 821 Hyper, it was loud but nothing compared to the dual CR-T on my Monster 1200R, no problems with cops at all.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
I think the local fuzz is more alarmed by my clutch noise than exhaust.

Reactions: wwahl

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
I think the local fuzz is more alarmed by my clutch noise than exhaust.
When I took an apprentice to state inspection school I joined him as a refresher.

I asked the head of the nh DOT enforcement who was leading the class if the noise limits were just concerning the exhaust or the whole bike. His rely was you must own a Ducati :grin2:

BTW: he stated just the exhaust and I constantly find any dry clutch to be louder than the exhaust if the cover is open.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts