Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else with an 1100 EVO get loud clattering/clanking noises from the engine when the temp meter gets to 5 or 6 bars while sitting idling? 4 bars or less (which is most of the time) the sounds are very faint, but 5 or more they get loud enough to hear from three lanes away. I can't say whether this is the clutch parts or other engine rotating parts making the noise, but it doesn't sound real good.

Typically I don't get to 5 or 6 bars unless I'm sitting in stopped traffic in hot weather. I'm using full synthetic 15-W45 (well a blend of 10W-40 and 20W-50 Amsoil motorcycle oils).

Are these sounds while hot normal for this engine? Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
same here, my bike also did that
bike only got 120 km on odo
its clutch sound
when u pull in the clutch lever, the sound is gone
its normal
my bike also have 5-6 bars when in city riding...damn his bike is hot
any ideas to cool down this bike ? exhaust+ecu+filter will cool it ?
sorry a little bit off topic

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check the clutch once I get it back from the dealer. I don't recall whether or not this had an effect.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'll check the clutch once I get it back from the dealer. I don't recall whether or not this had an effect.
I haven't noticed the temp but I hear a "clatter" like a dry clutch at times. Normally at lower speeds and in 1st or 2nd gear. I first thought it was maybe the spring holding the pipes together rattling but I don't think so. I've had guys ask before , " is that a dry clutch"

·
Registered
75 Posts
You mix different viscocity oils? I have no problem with motul 300v. My valve train is quiet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty sure the noise is not valvetrain noise. It's more of a rattling clutch type sound, which is always there, but gets very loud when hot. Since I get decent prices on Amsoil I have been mixing the 10W-40 and 20W50 motorcycle oils (similar chemical formulations so should be fine) to get the weight the bike recommends. I've had great sucess with the Amsoil oils in my Kawasaki. I'll look around and try some other oils. see what the dealer recommends...

I may also get the 7500 mile service done early. I've heard of others finding out of spec valves as early as 1500 or 2000 miles on this engine..

·
Registered
470 Posts
I get more noise when its hot too. I figure its the clutch plates and whatnot expanding w the heat changing the clearance/tolerances allowing more chatter? Its when im riding the bike w the clutch engaged, not the normal noisy dry clutch u hear w the lever pulled.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pretty sure the noise is not valvetrain noise. It's more of a rattling clutch type sound, which is always there, but gets very loud when hot.
my 2000 M750 does the exact same thing (read the whole thing before panicking):

didnt notice it when I bought it because I had never gotten it fully warmed up. I did an oil change before I even registered it, and while the oil that came out was black as hell, it was perfectly clean, the pickup tube was clean too. I bought a filter at Napa. over the course of the next 300 miles I started noticing the sound and it got louder and louder. to me it sounded like rod knock, so I freaked. drained the oil and sure enough it came out looking like heavy metalflake car paint, which confirmed my assumption of rod knock.

so I tore the entire bike down, pulled the motor completely apart and did a full overhaul. sure enough the rod bearings each had massive scores in them and some flaking, as if the napa filter had debris inside it. BUT; I plastiguaged the rod bearings and while they were out of spec, it wasnt by much, definitely not enough to make an actual rod knock noise.

So I get the motor almost completely reassembled, last thing I install is the oil pump. As I'm putting it in place, when the gear butts up to the crank gear it makes a knock sound that sounded EXACTLY like the sound I heard that I thought was rod knock; a metallic clanking/chattering noise, similar to an open dry clutch sound. so I get the oil pump torqued and I stick my finger behind it and start playing with the oil pump gear, and sure enough the gear mesh is a hair loose and I can rock the gear in its rotational direction a small amount, and when I do this it makes that very distinct clanking/chattering.

got the bike back together and have driven it a bit since the overhaul, and sure enough the sound is still there but the oil is staying perfectly clean and oil pressure is staying quite high.

so its a good thing I freaked when I heard that noise, because even though it was unrelated, it did cause me to drain the oil and rip the motor apart before anything else got damaged. the only damage was the rod bearings, but the sound was the oil pump gear chattering with the crank gear. there is zero play in the oil pump parts, and no adjustment for the gear mesh, so I assume this is just normal on some bikes

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so motoxmann, I wonder what did in your bearings in the first place. If the play in the oil pump is normal, and your pressure was good, what then??? Were you running the proper weight oil for the temperature and conditions? Not trying to get off the thread topic too much here, but just wondering.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get no ill effects at high temperature. However, my 1100EVO feels like a fire burning under me. I need to get a new (ceramic coated) exhaust.

·
Registered
54 Posts
so motoxmann, I wonder what did in your bearings in the first place. If the play in the oil pump is normal, and your pressure was good, what then??? Were you running the proper weight oil for the temperature and conditions? Not trying to get off the thread topic too much here, but just wondering.
well I had mentioned both of those in my post. the napa filter must have had some form of grit or debris in it, because both rod bearings had 1/16" grooves scored into them perfectly in the center where the oil ports on the crank journal are. which is where all the metalflake in the oil came from. and I made darn sure the entire area around the oil filter was spotless clean before removing the old filter, so it's near impossible anything fell into the filter as I put the new napa filter on. and the oil that came out of the bike when I did the original oil change was spotless, not one single metalflake of any sort in it. but 300 miles after putting the napa filter on, the oil was very light colored appearing brand new by color, but so thick with metalflake that it wasnt even transparent anymore. I will never again buy any oil filters at napa for anything. only k&n from here on out for my duc

my bike calls for 20w-50 in any weather above freezing, and thats what I used, valvoline 20w-50 motorcycle oil for bikes with wet clutches.

just remember, I said there is not any play in the oil pump itsself, the oil pump drive gear just doesnt mesh tightly with the crank gear, the mesh is slightly loose and allows the gear to chatter a little against the crank gear which is what the clanking noise is.

down the road when I have $345 to throw away, I'll probably buy a complete new oil pump just for the heck of it to see if it tightens up the gear mesh, cuz the noise drives me nuts even though I know exactly what it is and that it's not affecting anything except my brain lol

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Just for the heck of it, at the next oil change, use exactly what your dealer (or the service manual) recommends, and see if the noise lessens. Wet clutches are sensitive to oil quality/viscosity. Whatever you do, NEVER use car oil in your Duc if you want your wet clutch to function properly.

Even if your noise comes from the same source as what motoxx mentions was the case with his bike; it's possible a simple oil change could bring you some relief.

[One more thought: doesn't the clutch on the EVO have some sort of slipper function? If so is that adjustable in any way? Could that be the source of the noise? ]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just for the heck of it, at the next oil change, use exactly what your dealer (or the service manual) recommends..
that wouldnt really be possible considering the recommended oil is not available in the US, or at least that's what I've read in many threads and from my own personal searches. correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
that wouldnt really be possible considering the recommended oil is not available in the US, or at least that's what I've read in many threads and from my own personal searches. correct me if I'm wrong
As I understand it, Shell Advance is not available, but your dealer will have a reommended type in its stead. Give it a shot for one oil cycle and see if it helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts