Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I swapped my levers on my 2012 M796 ABS with some CRG levers in order to get them closer to the handles. I placed the screw on the clutch and brake at the same distance as stock, but when I tried to pull away for the first time, I completely let the clutch out and gave it gas and I went no where.

So I placed it on a rear stand, and moved the set screw and finally got it to a place that seemed good. I rode around for awhile, pulling over and adjusting the friction zone and all was well.

Until today. I was riding and made a quick stop. I go to leave, and same thing, clutch out, gas, and not moving. So I adjust the screw, and restart once or twice in the process, and all the sudden it wouldn't start. Battery was barely cranking over. So I get someone to help me push start it a few times, and it starts, but the noise coming from the clutch seemed twice as loud as normal. I turn it off and on a few times and it will turn on every time, but crazy noise from the engine that's louder than my exhaust. I ended up putting it in a friends truck to get it back to my house.

Any ideas how switching my clutch lever could have caused this or what to do to fix it? I'll be putting back the stock one tomorrow, but I'm worried something is wrong with the bike now.

I added a quick clip of it (3 seconds, it sounded so bad I didn't want to leave it on longer), but it made me zip it first for some reason. It's a .mov file.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Very interesting, but strange. Increased noise from the clutch itself after replacing only the lever . That would imply increased clearance in the clutch pack. You didn’t bleed the clutch, so where did the extra clearance come from ? Is the new lever stroke longer than the old one, causing more fluid to be pumped from master to slave and thereby increasing the slave piston travel ? I don’t believe in coincidence, but it’s that or your clutch decided to fall apart at the same moment you changed the lever. If it were me I’d look at the clutch pack itself because the lever change shouldn’t make the clutch rattle.

Reactions: ill

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Are you sure after adjustment of the screw that you have the pressure bleeding off as it should ? I wonder if there is an instructional vid on this adjustment. Probably. That doesn’t explain excessive clutch noise though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I replaced the CRG lever with the stock, and noticed that with the bike off, I was only able to switch to 1st, N, and 2nd. Wouldn't let me go to any other gear. So I rolled the bike back and forth, and still wasn't able to. So I started it up, rolled back and forth with the clutch in, and now I'm able to change to all gears, and the sound has gone down. I'm paranoid, so I can't tell if it's normal, or still a bit loud. I haven't tried to actually ride it either yet.

I was thinking that maybe the screw was in too far on the CRG, and thus the clutch was being disengaged, even when I let the clutch out. Also, the little button that the clutch also presses in didn't line up perfect on the CRG and I had to shift it around a little to get it to press in all the way. What does that tab/button on the bottom do exactly?

Oh, and the bike has 11k miles.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I think you’re referring to the clutch safety switch that allows the starter to spin if the lever is pulled in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts