Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 ST2 with 26,000 miles.

I just had the stock chip put back in to see about getting the bike to run better. At the same time it was due for it's 6,000 mile checkup. My mechanic said he had to shim one of the valves(greek to me really).

Well, the bike runs smoother now. Less power it would seem but extremely better gas mileage. My light would normally go on at 130 miles, I'm now at about 150 miles on this tank and I'm two bars under half.

Anyway, onto this new noise. When I'm riding between 20-40mph and between about 3,000 and 4,000 rpms I can sometimes get a loud click/clack noise. Other than saying it's coming from under the tank area I really can't be more specific. It makes the bike hiccup for sure and once I felt a bump in the throttle. It almost sounds like something isn't opening/closing correctly. It appears more when say you are riding about 30mph, come off the throttle and ease back into it. The bike will lurch and click/clack until you rev higher.

The noise is something similar to the sound when you shift gears. The click noise, but it's in no way associated with shifting. Just a reference of the type of noise.

It's definitely NOT right whatever it is. I now wonder if it's related to the chip or something my mechanic did when adjusting my valves? The problem is of course not constant and at higher speeds the bike runs perfect.

·
Registered
209 Posts
might be your clutch sending morse code. the dry clutch starts noisy and gets louder as it wears. my 98 was a nyc bike and it needed a new clutch pack when i got it at 4100 miles. you might think about trying the quiet clutch mod as its quick to do and if the noise goes away you have your solution.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not think this is clutch related. It has no correlation between shifting gears, etc. Also, this problem started IMMEDIATELY after the chip was replaced and valves worked on...

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
My take on the clacking is the intake valves slamming shut. I think you have an open airbox? It's audible up thru there.

The click and weird feel in the throttle is a backfire up thru in intake track. It's because your throttle bodies probably need synch'ing, and it's compounded with the stock chip that you're running. They run so lean, that these weird anomolies just happen.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully the after-market chip will solve my problems. It certainly doesn't sound/feel healthy for the bike. Somewhat startling actually. I guess I will go back to the bike just not running that great at 3,900 rpm's at 6,000 ft elevation...

Too bad, I was enjoying how the bike has been feeling otherwise. A bit slower, less torque it seems-WAY better mileage, but I feel like I'm ruining the bike when this clicking happens.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
My 01 ST2 does this on occasion- lower rpms (3-3.5k) during easy roll back on to the gas and you actually hear and feel it click. It seems to me that it is coming from the airbox- mine is not open, and I do have an FBF chip. I have just chalked this issue up to the rough fueling that the ST2 has under very low throttle, low rpms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts