Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am not the only one who has lost or misplaced their proximity key, so here goes. I have a 2010 multi and have to start it each time by pressing the button on top of the tank and then entering the code I programmed in a few years back. Have been to 2 dealers and asked them if a new proximity key could be made up. Both times they said that one could as long as I had the secondary key (red one with no case) which they were supposed to be able to use to fire the bike up to program a new key. well my red key is only good for opening the bags and the seat lock and nothing else. They do not know why it doesn't activate the dash board when placed in a certain position. so what i am told is it would cost $1300.00 to fix the problem. Seems rather expensive to me. anyone else have a problem like this.

·
Registered
2014 Panigale 1199S 2014 Multistrada 1200S Touring
8 Posts
I hope I am not the only one who has lost or misplaced their proximity key, so here goes. I have a 2010 multi and have to start it each time by pressing the button on top of the tank and then entering the code I programmed in a few years back. Have been to 2 dealers and asked them if a new proximity key could be made up. Both times they said that one could as long as I had the secondary key (red one with no case) which they were supposed to be able to use to fire the bike up to program a new key. well my red key is only good for opening the bags and the seat lock and nothing else. They do not know why it doesn't activate the dash board when placed in a certain position. so what i am told is it would cost $1300.00 to fix the problem. Seems rather expensive to me. anyone else have a problem like this.
Hello!

I have the same issue. Lost my active key (Black one with the battery) - I thought I put it in my pocket after filling gas, turned out I didn't 🤦‍♂️. I went all mighty and dandy to the dealership with my red key to get a new Black key programmed only to find out that the transponder in the Passive key (Red mechanical cut key) is dead :rolleyes:. Same deal, it would cost $1300 to replace everything is what I was told.

A search on the forum reveals SOS in Oregon as a possible solution. Does anyone know of any local shops that can do that around the Bay area in CA?

Thank you for answering.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So the red keys actually have a life span, then they die ?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised with Ducati.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
The transponder in Zenpandas red key is dead. Ncassidy’s red key only works to open the seat. Draw your own conclusions. I don’t need a weather vane to know which way the wind blows. ( Bob Dylan)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My guess is damage from impact 🤔? I bought mine used and it's possible that the previous owner dropped it hard enough to make it non-operative, perhaps. In either case, I need to figure out an alternative to spending $1300.

·
Registered
324 Posts
One of the first things I did when I got my Enduro last year was to test all the start modes; PIN worked fine but the red key does not work; I know exactly where the aerial is and placed the key directly over it and the red key will not allow me to start my bike. As Tamworth notes, it is an RFID chip that is supposed to get its power from the aerial to work but it doesn't. My black key is fine. I've read about similar problems on this and other forums so it's obviously a common problem. Maybe a bad batch of RFID chips? This was a new bike directly from the dealer so new keys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am one of those. I only see the disadvantages.I can't tell you how many times I have ridden off with the key in the seat lock, only to have to pull over and retrieve it when I get the lost key message on the dash. I am lucky I haven't lost it yet..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am one of those. I only see the disadvantages.I can't tell you how many times I have ridden off with the key in the seat lock, only to have to pull over and retrieve it when I get the lost key message on the dash. I am lucky I haven't lost it yet..
Wait, so if the black key is not around while riding, it's supposed to show the "Key out of range" message? I don't remember seeing it as my theory is that I dropped it at a gas station when I thought I put it in my pocket and rode off. However, it is possible that it showed the message and that I didn't notice until I got home and turned it off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of the first things I did when I got my Enduro last year was to test all the start modes; PIN worked fine but the red key does not work; I know exactly where the aerial is and placed the key directly over it and the red key will not allow me to start my bike. As Tamworth notes, it is an RFID chip that is supposed to get its power from the aerial to work but it doesn't. My black key is fine. I've read about similar problems on this and other forums so it's obviously a common problem. Maybe a bad batch of RFID chips? This was a new bike directly from the dealer so new keys.
Ducati North America customer service is one of the worst. I am not saying this because they didn't help me this time plus two other occasions in the past about my Panigale, but because of their callous attitude while speaking which to me reflects their lack of accountability. When I asked the guy if the Red key not working is something that is known to the company or expected or of which someone would know better, without asking any further questions, he simply said "Your bike is old and out of warranty and the company is not responsible". Anyway, just sharing what I heard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is one of those times where I can understand why some people hate keyless ignition on bikes.
I don't entirely hate it or love it. It is a nice feature to have, however, it doesn't appear to be a conscientious design. I would have prefered central lock/unlock (Handle bar, Gas cap and ignition) with the key and Pin if it were to be completely successful.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was actually looking at the price of the Ducati parts electronic fuel cap, but it's just too much money for a very slight bit of convenience, IMO

·
Registered
300 Posts
Stupid that it took the "GT" 1260 to get it as a standard part... should have been a standard part on at least the "S" models, IMO.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So here is the end to this saga. I contacted the outfit in Oregon, they told me what they needed to make another key. I proceeded to take the transponder unit out of the bike which basically is removal of all the plastic and other various parts to get the transponder out. I then decided to do a deep clean on the interior of my F-450 dually. Guess what? I found the proximity key under the back seat. guess it worked its way under the seat. weird thing is I put the bike next to the truck when originally looking for the key and tried to start it, thinking the proximity should be close enough to pick up. didn't work, so i figured the key was not in the truck. so after taking everything apart, i put it all back together. I now am very aware of that damn key and the red one is still only good for opening the bags and seat removal.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The range on the passive key is inches, not feet. The passive key pretty much needs to be within an inch or two of the transponder.

edit the proximity key I've found needs to be quite close as well, on my person for me. If I forget the key in the seat release mechanism, my bike normally won't pick it up.

·
Sophomore Member
2,888 Posts
At least you found it before going through an expensive replacement. That would have been my luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So here is the end to this saga. I contacted the outfit in Oregon, they told me what they needed to make another key. I proceeded to take the transponder unit out of the bike which basically is removal of all the plastic and other various parts to get the transponder out. I then decided to do a deep clean on the interior of my F-450 dually. Guess what? I found the proximity key under the back seat. guess it worked its way under the seat. weird thing is I put the bike next to the truck when originally looking for the key and tried to start it, thinking the proximity should be close enough to pick up. didn't work, so i figured the key was not in the truck. so after taking everything apart, i put it all back together. I now am very aware of that damn key and the red one is still only good for opening the bags and seat removal.
ncassidy,

I contacted them as well and am waiting to hear back from them. Can you throw some more light on exactly what would need to be shipped? Is it just the "Push" button assembly (The one in place as an alternate for a key hole) or do the ECU/dash need to accompany as well?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts