Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my last key for my 06 Sport 1000. Without the red key, dealer tells me, I must replace CPU and dashboard, estimated cost $3,500 Canadian. What are my options, can anyone tell me?

Best Wishes

Jerry

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I think it depends on what you plan to do long term. If your going to keep it don't worry about it. If you think you will need to sell it at some point, resale is always best with the red key. I am sure members here will have options for you. If all else fails you can always contact Ducati for advice, I have found then very responsive to questions.

By e-mail: To send your question by e-mail visit the contact us page on Ducati.com
By fax to this number: (+39)-051-6413268
By post:
Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A.
Customer Service
Via Cavalieri Ducati, 3
40132 Bologna
Italy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lost my Red Key

Thanks for the reply, but to be clear, my problem is that I now have no keys at all and apparently no way to make new ones without the big expense. I am guessing that a computer guy might be able to hack into the system and create new keys, or somehow defeat the system, but no one here in Victoria seems to be able to help.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Oops. You can get the original ECU reprogrammed to remove the immobilizer by hypetrick (search on here for details) or get a Nemesis ECU which doesn't have the immobilizer.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
No keys at all? How does THAT happen? :think:
3 keys on the same key ring? That's like getting hit by lightening, winning the lottery...or getting new keys at low cost. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
312 Posts
A higher end locksmith could try to help, but you need a blank copy of the key (uncut), and a key that works...Then there is actually programing the key to the immobilizer. Either way, you are going to be paying ALOT of money, but then again, its a Ducati, what do you expect?

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Thing I know:

The red key is needed to program extra black keys.

Things I think:

Red key is needed for some maintenance operations. Don't know what.
I also think you are in trouble (i.e. $$$$) without any keys.

Good luck and I hope I am proven wrong.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Get a Nemesis (800 USD) and a switch from Radio Shack (8 USD). Remove the part where you put your key in and put a switch in its place. You might be able to find a complete key set on EBay, I know there are some for the 999s on there now but most of them are 1500+ so you are better off with a Nemesis and a switch.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ill bet that red key may have just been misplaced. TOO hard to lose that stuff. Check last jacket, behind drawer, on wine shelf, last showoff venue, --:think:its there somewhere. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Get a Nemesis (800 USD) and a switch from Radio Shack (8 USD). Remove the part where you put your key in and put a switch in its place. You might be able to find a complete key set on EBay, I know there are some for the 999s on there now but most of them are 1500+ so you are better off with a Nemesis and a switch.
where can you get a nemesis ecu for $800

·
Registered
81 Posts
My used 999 did not come with a red key. I didn't even know about a red key until after I bought the bike and read up on it on the forums here. So I was going to buy a new ecu and everything, but I'll just get the Nemesis.

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
Ill bet that red key may have just been misplaced. TOO hard to lose that stuff. Check last jacket, behind drawer, on wine shelf, last showoff venue, --:think:its there somewhere. Good luck.
Girlfriend's pad, your wife's car. I agree, I would even stoop low and consult a psychic for something like this considering what you have to do now.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Check with Tom at Hypertrick.net
He might be able to disable the immobilizer function.. I know he can do it on some models, but your going to have to check with him about it.

//amullo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts