Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got distracted after topping of oil and left the oil cap on top of clutch casing.:( Rode off and things got smelly and slippery after a few blocks!:eek:

I hate getting old and senile! Dealers closed on Mondays in town. Any idea if any other manufacturer's cap fit our bikes? I really want to make up for the ride I missed yesterday. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Google polymorph

There is a product called polymorph, available from hobby electronics stores plus others.

It comes as beads of a plastic - pop them into water at about 60 deg C or whatever in deg F and then mold it by hand and squeeze it into the oil filler hole and hand mold the top so you can undo it. Let it cool/set for a short time and you are in business again.

In a few minutes you will have a properly threaded oil filler cap. This stuff works for many other parts as well.

Richard

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Got distracted after topping of oil and left the oil cap on top of clutch casing.:( Rode off and things got smelly and slippery after a few blocks!:eek:

I hate getting old and senile! Dealers closed on Mondays in town. Any idea if any other manufacturer's cap fit our bikes? I really want to make up for the ride I missed yesterday. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
I have a spare one that i can lend or sell but I am in Carlsbad and my house is in Mission Hills/Hillcrest. I probably will not be home until after 7 tonight. If you want it to ride tomorrow let me know and we can arrange a meet up. Then again you may just wait till tomorrow to go bug Paul for one.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The one from my CR250 fits my 900.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a spare one that i can lend or sell but I am in Carlsbad and my house is in Mission Hills/Hillcrest. I probably will not be home until after 7 tonight. If you want it to ride tomorrow let me know and we can arrange a meet up. Then again you may just wait till tomorrow to go bug Paul for one.
Thanks for the offer neighbor. I live in Hillcrest/Mission Hills too between Mercy and UCSD hospitals!

I was able to get a free one from Clinton and Lee's Cylcles in Kearny Mesa this morning! Bought him lunch! Thanks Clinton.

Since I'm sure this will happen again, I will be drilling a hole and safety wire the sucker!:D

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks for the offer neighbor. I live in Hillcrest/Mission Hills too between Mercy and UCSD hospitals!

I was able to get a free one from Clinton and Lee's Cylcles in Kearny Mesa this morning! Bought him lunch! Thanks Clinton.

Since I'm sure this will happen again, I will be drilling a hole and safety wire the sucker!:D
Good plan. But as you're getting older, how will you remember where you parked the bike??? lol

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Good plan. But as you're getting older, how will you remember where you parked the bike??? lol
lol I take two fish oil tabs per day for this problem, the wife said it's the past catching up with me.... Could be both. A cork would work and is a good idea to put some in the tool box.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Haha, I have done that at work. I park my bike in two places during my shift. After dark I moved it to an area where I can anchor/chain it to railings. I have come out for lunch and bike wasn't where I thought I left it! :mad:

At some point I may have to stop riding I guess....for everyone's safety! :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
Haha, I have done that at work. I park my bike in two places during my shift. After dark I moved it to an area where I can anchor/chain it to railings. I have come out for lunch and bike wasn't where I thought I left it! :mad:

At some point I may have to stop riding I guess....for everyone's safety! :D
Hopefully not for years and years to come. Just be safe and keep the Ducati spirit.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
There is a product called polymorph, available from hobby electronics stores plus others.

It comes as beads of a plastic - pop them into water at about 60 deg C or whatever in deg F and then mold it by hand and squeeze it into the oil filler hole and hand mold the top so you can undo it. Let it cool/set for a short time and you are in business again.

In a few minutes you will have a properly threaded oil filler cap. This stuff works for many other parts as well.

Richard
Until your oil gets above 60C (and it will, much more than 60C) :eek:

Tom

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts

Yeah I live down in the canyon south of University on Dove St. Ive seen you on your bike in the hood. One afternoon this past summer I was in Sushi Deli enjoying my sashimi and watched you pull up to the "Its a Grind " across the street. Its kinda hard to miss your bike. Glad to hear that you worked out the fillplug issue.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I live down in the canyon south of University on Dove St. Ive seen you on your bike in the hood. One afternoon this past summer I was in Sushi Deli enjoying my sashimi and watched you pull up to the "Its a Grind " across the street. Its kinda hard to miss your bike. Glad to hear that you worked out the fillplug issue.

:D That is my favorite hang out...since I know the owner and can't get razzed for being a Starbucks poser! :D Come and say hi sometime!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts