Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m writing here today because I lost my key in the middle of moving. My bike is a 2007 800ss and want to ask what other people have done in this situation. I do have a special key card for making a new key but it is locked under the seat. I know that to start the motor I need the key programmed to the bikes immobilizer but can a blank key open the back seat lock? I live in northern Virginia and have called ducpond in Winchester where the guy said it would be around $500 and I have to trailer the bike to his shop. I also called Coleman power sports in falls church but they didn’t sound as confidant in being able to get a working key. I’m just curious as to what other people have done in my situation, thanks for any info.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
No, a blank key won't open the seat. At least not on my '95 Monster and my '97 SS CR.

I just tried last week after I bought a pair of blank keys off Ebay. Just to see if it would.

Maybe a little judicious work with a hooked wire will get the seat off.

Good luck.

(Maybe trailer your bike to a Ducati Owners meeting or an Italian Bike Night and ask passerbys to try opening your seat! Offer them a dollar if they can open it!)

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Offer them ten ! Seriously, you didn’t lose your key, you misplaced it . I lost mine recently and my wife found it for me. I put the key in the pocket of my riding jeans, rolled them up , and layer them on the shelf. Apparently the key fell out and went into a boot as I layed them down. I moved the boots, I moved the shelf, I looked on top of the boots. I didn’t shake the boots out. Have someone else look with a fresh perspective.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Good news I found my key. It was in the last box left of the house I’m moving from. Talk about lucky. Now I have to go make a spare haha
Do it now.

I once "lost" my boarding pass between the ID check and the baggage X ray at LAX.
I was searching all around, finally asked the cops sitting just past the baggage check area.
They looked around the area, then asked to search my bags.
Seemed weird to have the cops search my bags, but I was not Arlo Guthrie flying in to Los Angeles bringing in a couple of keys. So they found it where I stuck it and forgot. In a pocket of my luggage. Doh.
Maybe go easy on the beer before you go through airport security. :laugh:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good news I found my key. It was in the last box left of the house I’m moving from. Talk about lucky. Now I have to go make a spare haha

I took my key for my 09 Hyper to a locksmith who could make motorcycle transponder keys. He had a mobile service he operated out of his van.

50 bux cash.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Offer them ten ! Seriously, you didn’t lose your key, you misplaced it . I lost mine recently and my wife found it for me. I put the key in the pocket of my riding jeans, rolled them up , and layer them on the shelf. Apparently the key fell out and went into a boot as I layed them down. I moved the boots, I moved the shelf, I looked on top of the boots. I didn’t shake the boots out. Have someone else look with a fresh perspective.
I've had a lost key like that. Getting ready to go on a long ride over Easter, went down town to do some shopping. Did as I usually did in those days, and dropped my bike keys into my helmet, along with my gloves.
Go off, and do the shopping I needed, get back to the bike, remove gloves from helmet, put on helmet, and realise - 'no keys...'. Remove helmet, go back to the shops I'd been in, scanning EVERY inch of footpath and shop floor. No keys. I remember that there is a Honda shop near(-ish - a couple of miles walk away). Call them - they have a box of old keys that I'm welcome to take and try (the bike at the time was a Honda CB750-4 F1). So I walk there, grab a large handful of keys, and walk back. About the third or fourth key did the trick (Honda locks back then were not very sophisticated), so I shoved the rest of the keys back into their bag, and pull on my helmet. As I went to pull on my gloves... Yup, there inside my gloves were the missing keys. :eek:
Rode back, and returned the rest of the keys to the shop, and purchased one of the ones that fitted, so as to have a spare in a different pocket...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts