Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be interpreted a few different ways, but by ALL I mean ALL the records, title, key card, red key, extended warranty papers, and misc parts for the 2015 1200S.

How the heck did this happen? Well it took some sleuthing, but I narrowed it down. The excellent records the PO kept were occasionally referred to for the purposes of maintenance. So when I got the "feeling" there was a service due, or creeping up on 18K miles, I would get out the box of stuff and go through things again. No issues, until...

I needed to look at records twice in a month as we approached major service so I could decide how many item to roll into the BIG ONE while they had everything apart. I settled on fork oil refresh.

Later I needed the Rapidbike connections for a tune and found all the bits where they belonged, in the original box handed off to me when I bought it. Everything about the bike is going great and I'm really enjoying it. Got my new D-Air vest after a six month wait, and shook off the two week period of cold we call winter here. This is when the brake lever started its migration towards the handgrip under braking. Let's deal with this and the brake moaning. A nice guy here led me to Vesrah front pads for cheap (they were correct after all homie) so I was ready to freshen the calipers. Dressed the disks, replaced pads, cleaned and lubed caliper pistons, felt great! But it also exposed the now 2 year old fluid as a weak point and it was getting dirty and dark. F bleeding the ABS and rear caliper myself, that much I've learned here.

While making an appt with the shop for the fluid flush ($230 for brakes and clutch), I was informed of the recall on the fob. Great, it does have spotty performance. Thanks Ducati! Hmm, do I need to bring the red key? They say sure, just in case. It actually doesn't require it, but I started looking and NOT FINDING. Where the F is the whole box of goodies? We moved a year ago so I was thrown off a bit. Why had I parked it downstairs in close proximity to the Amazon box pile place? Where I would eventually do a consolidation and eventual removal. Where it now, is horribly apparent. The small box of valuable, irreplaceable records and manuals and keys and and and got tossed into a clean up pile to go to a bin, or tip as they say in blighty.

So now what? I'm listless and lost all appetite. I never lose keys, wallets, or sunglasses, or paperwork. I have 20 year old sunglasses. Wallets disintegrate. Keys have a Tile finder on them but it's used to find the errant phone. Kinda not like me to lose such an important collection of things, right? Well, I might not have at all. There's one other person living here. And she spent the whole day looking on and off site where we have a few storage items, even though the bike stuff never went there. I have no one to blame but myself. I've let myself down big time. Now the painful process of replacing title, contacting warranty company, asking dealer to print all the recent work records begins, which will remind me of this epic fuck up at each and every turn.

Well that's how my day went, I just thought it would help anyone stubbing their toe, or dropping a glass, or sharting their drawers, to realize it could be way worse...

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Ah crap, that’s a pisser man. I feel for ya.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sucks, this is why anytime I re-purpose a box for important things I make sure the box is obviously marked "do no throw out".

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,460 Posts
That's a bummer. It's a bad break, but not the end of the world. Everything other than the code card is replaceable or not even needed. And if you disable the immobilizer, you'll never have the need for the code card. Red keys are obsolete because you can clone keys now. You can file for a replacement title and warranty paperwork. The parts are nice to have around, but you can buy more if needed. You'll get past this. Keep your chin up.

PSA: If you have a code card, take a picture of it with your phone and have a copy backed up to the cloud if you ever need it on the road.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
I , too , have lost really important things , only to realize I did something that, in retrospect , was dumb. You are not alone. We are human, we do our best. I always vow not to repeat the same mistake, so I make new ones. One of my favorites: I hid a large amount of cash, so well that I can’t find it. Or someone else found it. Or it got thrown away. I have no idea. I won’t be so slick hiding cash anymore .

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I , too , have lost really important things , only to realize I did something that, in retrospect , was dumb. You are not alone. We are human, we do our best. I always vow not to repeat the same mistake, so I make new ones. One of my favorites: I hid a large amount of cash, so well that I can’t find it. Or someone else found it. Or it got thrown away. I have no idea. I won’t be so slick hiding cash anymore .
old coat pocket,under couch cushion,rafters,buried it?

·
Registered
373 Posts
TallOne: I'm one of those people that always puts things in the "right" place so they are always there when I need them so I understand the anguish when something gets misplaced or even worse, lost. I've been through three moves in 5 years and while I'm confident that nothing is lost, I've sure misplaced a few things. I hope that sharing your loss has been therapeutic. I find myself using the term "first world problem" more and more as I get older, especially when working on issues with my kids. Get well and enjoy that bike.

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
I go ape shit when MY STUFF gets tossed. That is why I never clean up. I know where everything is... I just gotta find it...

Reactions: porkrind

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I go ape shit when MY STUFF gets tossed. That is why I never clean up. I know where everything is... I just gotta find it...
My analogy for this approach is the work clothes pile. I have a rotating stock of business casual items that get taken off when I come home and draped over a chair. Pick up the next day and reuse. \

Now the bike is back and running great, with such sweet brake feel. Night and day. Dealer printed out all the records and frankly I forgot how many things I had done, some under warranty. Now I've only got one key and the dealer suggested locksmith was a bust. Someone mentioned disabling the immobilizer and getting passive keys cut. I use my top box daily for the cover at work and groceries. Need some back ups for sure.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
old coat pocket,under couch cushion,rafters,buried it?
Tried them all. I Keep thinking of new possibilities but I haven’t found it yet. I really think it’s gone. Accidentally thrown away maybe. Sad thing is , that’s not even the stupidest thing I’ve ever done.

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
I just found my ray ban glasses 2 YEARS since I last saw them. in the sofa bed downstairs. I tore it apart 3 weeks ago for springcleaning then last week presto there they were.... I guess I am stretching it to expect some missing socks to be found.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey. I hope this helps but there is no "Red Key" nor a "Code Card" for the 2015 Multistrada. At least not for the 1200S. I bought mine new from the dealer. The red keys that come with the bike are non-coded, non-chipped keys that only fit in the luggage. The code is user set. Your fob can be duplicated by Ducati if you have the original. If not there is a company that I have run across that can duplicate it. Don't remember what their name is but a search should turn up their info pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
There used to be a Kawasaki key similar to the multi,that could be duplicated.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey. I hope this helps but there is no "Red Key" nor a "Code Card" for the 2015 Multistrada. At least not for the 1200S. I bought mine new from the dealer. The red keys that come with the bike are non-coded, non-chipped keys that only fit in the luggage. The code is user set. Your fob can be duplicated by Ducati if you have the original. If not there is a company that I have run across that can duplicate it. Don't remember what their name is but a search should turn up their info pretty easily.
Right you are. I just had a dealer visit where I purchased a new passive (red) key for back up, and a new fob with key for $225. Some nice people down the street cut them both for $80. Good insurance and good for trade-in and resale. The dealer will program the new fob as a courtesy service, which is nice.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found! Oh, the Ducati saga grinds on. Let's begin with how everything key and record related was tossed in a box of magazines and end with dropping the bike in the parking lot this week. And then sprinkle that with a bit of dealer fail.

While staring down the task of reorganizing the wife's bathroom closet, I flashed on my memory of the box labeled "TallOne's desk" and knew right then the Ducati stuff was there. Opened the box and dug to the bottom. There it was, a neat collection. How? When moving I set out the important papers so they would be the last thing moved and first opened. Wife get impatient while I was managing a crew of five and puts it all in the bottom of a box of periodicals. During the hunt, it was so incongruous that it wold be there it was overlooked. Imagine Vince Vega opening the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. That was me right then.

Random driveway repair pushed our vehicles off the lot for a day. I went out in slippers (with rubber soles) to move the bike. About 50' to my other spot. Somehow managed to let the bike tip away from me and slowly, with an ugly ballet-like counterbalance, let it boop the tarmac. The only three things touching the ground as I assessed the situation with disgust: handlebar and tires. Shout out to Barkbuster because that was the only damage. Slightly bent hand guard. Whew.

Now in possession of the extra passive and active keys I bought in response to losing my shit I called the friendly dealer to program extra keys. They had been cut previously, and now I was committed to them. "Come down in 30 minutes and they will be done in 30 minutes" I always take them at their word, like everyone else. Grabbed all my shit and hauled ass down there. Three hours later, they say "we can only program two keys, in any configuration" My new (warranty replaced) key fob was activated, the tech tore up the bill (nice guy, that one), and I had the oil filter I came for in addition to the helmet liner I needed to refresh the Neotech.

I hope this provides some closure to those of you vicariously traumatized by my misadventure, and you can have laugh at my self-induced misfortune. Another bright spot is the imminent 20K mile mark with the OEM chain. That will be hit this week. Happy Sunday!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts