Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As embarassing this is to say, I have a problem that people have probably faced before.

I lost both the keys to my 1098. :(

The good news is that I still have the key card with the mechanical and electrical codes on it.

I called two dealerships to ask about getting replacements keys. One said it's about $75 per key and 30 days since they have to come in from Italy. Another one said ~$480 for a new "ignition tube" (?? I may be misquoting ??) which also has to come in from Italy.

My question for the forum is this:

Can anyone get me the new keys faster than 30 days?
Is the first dealership quoting $75 just to get me in the door?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I don't understand how they cannot cut a key with the Vin number. The card is for possible ECU problems.
Sorry I don't know the definite answer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
if you still had one of the keys you could get a new one cut an they could program it with the code card using the dash it would take about 5 min not even, done it a few times for 1098s actually. But losing both keys ? idk i would say you need an whole new lock set for that one...ignition, fuel cap, an rear cowl

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I think the dealer that quoted you $75 is probably going to be your best deal. That is for the key and cutting I am presuming.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I just paid $78 for two keys to come in from Italy. Once they get here, they'll help me program them and I should be good to go. They're going to make me show my registration, but actually, I think that's a good thing. The only issue now is if I have to get the bike towed up to the shop to do any of this, but they even offered to maybe send a tech to my place to make sure it works. Sounds pretty taken care of.

I'll let you all know how it turns out!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bradyh20
When you get your new keys, check your owners manual. The 1198 manual has a procedure for bypassing the code if a key malfunctions, 1098 manual probabaly does also. You may be able to start the bike this way and not have to tow it to the shop.

good luck
Corbs

·
Registered
228 Posts
try this

This guy knows his shat. He has been advertising on Motorcyclist magazine for a couple years. Jim Hamilton. [email protected] phone # is 207 691 0880. It use to be 20 bucks a key, but its still the cheapest way I've found to remake a key and get back riding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, I just paid $78 for two keys to come in from Italy. Once they get here, they'll help me program them and I should be good to go. They're going to make me show my registration, but actually, I think that's a good thing. The only issue now is if I have to get the bike towed up to the shop to do any of this, but they even offered to maybe send a tech to my place to make sure it works. Sounds pretty taken care of.

I'll let you all know how it turns out!!
Which dealer did you go to? I have the same problem with my 999. My only key was stolen from the gym.

·
Registered
721 Posts
i am still puzzled how anything you have to order has to come from italy. seriously that is bullshit. they dont have any warehouses here with parts. why dont any of the dealerships stock up on parts. i have to wait 3 weeks also for parts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Contact Annandale Locksmiths in Australia (they advertise on this site) They may be able to cut you a key with the info from your card.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts