Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all from the land of California.
This morning I ran into a strange issue. My bike was experiencing a large amount of power loss through all the gears. And the speedometer was off by 50%. For example, on the highway I was pacing with cars at about 60-65mph and it was reading 100mph on my speedometer!

The bike is backfiring and when reving it in neutral I can feel there's a loss of power. It's really weird.

Here's how my morning began:
Outside temp: 58 degrees
Turn bike on, did not let it warm up (woke up late for work)

Drove to my local chevron to fill up. During this time the bike had power, the tachs were good. Running somewhat rough due to it being cold.

I gas up at chevron 91oct (I've used this station plenty of times)

I turn her on and its struggling to turn over

Three more tries

It finally turns over. I leave the station and notice the immediate loss in power.

I get on the highway to double check it at higher speed. Notice the tach shows 100mph and I'm going like half that speed.

I pull over. Then turn off and on the bike. I rev it in neutral and notice lots and lots of backfiring.

I do this several times with the same occurring symptoms: backfiring, a loss in power when reving. It doesn't sound nearly as strong and lean as it did when I left my house to the gas station

Things I've done in the past month to consider:
Adjusted the throttle cable to be more tight.
Complete fluid flush
Cleaned my chain; however, a new chain is definitely needed. Mine is getting stiff and has a good amount of mileage on it
Change brake pads

Any ideas here? Much appreciated

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey Jack,

First thing, stop riding it. Get it towed to a certified Ducati mechanic, and have the bike inspected.

If I had to throw a guess it is likely related directly to the motor. Loose spark plug, damaged valve, compromised wiring/ecu- either way any of these would be a sign to me to deal with it immediately and professionally if you don't work on motors.

Live by the rule, "Its never good to force what doesn't feel right." - especially about something you care about or invest your energy into.

Good luck mate- keep us posted as to the culprit.

Hello all from the land of California.
This morning I ran into a strange issue. My bike was experiencing a large amount of power loss through all the gears. And the speedometer was off by 50%. For example, on the highway I was pacing with cars at about 60-65mph and it was reading 100mph on my speedometer!

The bike is backfiring and when reving it in neutral I can feel there's a loss of power. It's really weird.

Here's how my morning began:
Outside temp: 58 degrees
Turn bike on, did not let it warm up (woke up late for work)

Drove to my local chevron to fill up. During this time the bike had power, the tachs were good. Running somewhat rough due to it being cold.

I gas up at chevron 91oct (I've used this station plenty of times)

I turn her on and its struggling to turn over

Three more tries

It finally turns over. I leave the station and notice the immediate loss in power.

I get on the highway to double check it at higher speed. Notice the tach shows 100mph and I'm going like half that speed.

I pull over. Then turn off and on the bike. I rev it in neutral and notice lots and lots of backfiring.

I do this several times with the same occurring symptoms: backfiring, a loss in power when reving. It doesn't sound nearly as strong and lean as it did when I left my house to the gas station

Things I've done in the past month to consider:
Adjusted the throttle cable to be more tight.
Complete fluid flush
Cleaned my chain; however, a new chain is definitely needed. Mine is getting stiff and has a good amount of mileage on it
Change brake pads

Any ideas here? Much appreciated

·
Registered
853 Posts
The Ducati engine is not constructed for 91 Octane... for the rest i can't judge on...
The minimum octane requirement for each engine model is specified in the Owners Manual using the RON measurement system that is used in Europe and many other parts of the world. 95 RON is specified for the Sport Classic.

The US and Canada fuel pumps list octane in a different measurement system (RON + MON)/2) so you need to convert the numbers as follows:

91–92 RON = 86–87 US Regular
94–95 RON = 89–90 US Plus
95–99 RON = 90–94 US Premium

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I change my rectifier regulator years ago for a mosfet one. But I will check this to see if something malfunctioned. Maybe my soldering sucks

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Same issues happened to me: loss of power and erratic clock.

they were, however, both unrelated to one another in these specific instances and happened at different times.

Loss of power resulted in a faulty connection in the spark plug connection at the wire for the horizontal cylinder, resulting in only the vertical cylinder firing. easy fix.

Erratic speedo was due to a pinch in the wiring that caused a malfunction.

Not saying this is it for you, but just sharing my experiences in similar situations.

good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts