Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used 08 with Termi slip ons and ECU and was wondering about options to reduce noise. The DB killlers were gone, so it's pretty loud. Two Q's for you guys.

Can you purchase just the DB killers and can they be put back in (or were they riveted)?

If I swap back to stock cans, will it screw up the ECU? I'd like to be able to run Laguna, but would need stock cans to have any chance of passing noise there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
DB Killers

Picked up a used 08 with Termi slip ons and ECU and was wondering about options to reduce noise. The DB killlers were gone, so it's pretty loud. Two Q's for you guys.

Can you purchase just the DB killers and can they be put back in (or were they riveted)?

If I swap back to stock cans, will it screw up the ECU? I'd like to be able to run Laguna, but would need stock cans to have any chance of passing noise there.

Thanks.

Go to just about any dealer or Ducati shop and ask for a set. They have them - for free. They remove them from the slip-ons figuring everyone wants to hear the sound of the Termis.

I had the same issue - wanting to be a good neighbor - went to the dealer and he had a box of them. I grabbed the ones that came from my bike and re-installed them. Hated it immediately.

Spent several months "modifying" them. Drilling holes and then expanding the size of the holes - to give it a throaty, full-bodied V-twin sound without providing a full racetrack sound.

Good luck.

Lee

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

Thanks.
With the DB killers "IN" you will make more power on a stock bike (dyno proven)
and if you want to increase the noise, just cut off the end of the tube 1/4in at a time until you get the exhaust you want.
I not sure if the Termi's will be quiet enough for Laguna, I'm doing a track day at Laguna in Oct, and I'm putting on my stock mufflers. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree with Alex. I put mine back in and the bike seems to make more power than before. It's quieter for the longer rides.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the DB killers "IN" you will make more power on a stock bike (dyno proven)
and if you want to increase the noise, just cut off the end of the tube 1/4in at a time until you get the exhaust you want.
I not sure if the Termi's will be quiet enough for Laguna, I'm doing a track day at Laguna in Oct, and I'm putting on my stock mufflers. Aloha Alex
Yeah, Termi's, with or without DB killers, will not pass noise at Laguna. I'm probably just going to try to pick up a pair of stock cans used.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yeah, Termi's, with or without DB killers, will not pass noise at Laguna. I'm probably just going to try to pick up a pair of stock cans used.
I guess you better not fart at Laguna. With the db killers the Termi seems to be only slightly louder than stock.

Lee, Do you have a picture of the mod'd db killers. I'm thinking about modifying my db's but not really sure where to start.

TIA

Tom

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess you better not fart at Laguna. With the db killers the Termi seems to be only slightly louder than stock.
Laguna noise regs are really tight. Some stock bikes can't even pass, due to intake noise. I've seen Ducs with quiet Termi's get flagged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not trying to hack this thread but just want to to clarify something. I have a Hyper S with termi slip ons and a LV cat removal pipe, if I put the DB killers back in I will make more power?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
even with the db killers installed in termis, your bike might not pass the laguna sound tests.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Not trying to hack this thread but just want to to clarify something. I have a Hyper S with termi slip ons and a LV cat removal pipe, if I put the DB killers back in I will make more power?
I have the termi slip-ons and cat eliminator pipe. I put the db killers back in and the change in response and power (low/mid-range) seems much improved.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
yes.....:D Aloha Alex

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pictures

Lee, Do you have a picture of the mod'd db killers. I'm thinking about modifying my db's but not really sure where to start.

TIA

Tom

Tom - not yet. I will try to get to it. Basically, I drilled about 12 holes spaced evenly around the tubes. Then drilled out the closed end of the tube. After that, I took one of those fun little drill bits that allows you to expand the size of the hole and opened up a bunch of the holes to about 3/8 inch.

FYI - these things are a bitch to drill - being round and slippery. Use a vise and a drill press if you can.

Lee

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Tom - not yet. I will try to get to it. Basically, I drilled about 12 holes spaced evenly around the tubes. Then drilled out the closed end of the tube. After that, I took one of those fun little drill bits that allows you to expand the size of the hole and opened up a bunch of the holes to about 3/8 inch.

FYI - these things are a bitch to drill - being round and slippery. Use a vise and a drill press if you can.

Lee
Thanks Lee, the information should be enough to get started. I didn't know how aggressive to get with the drill.
Tom

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, I actually only just tonight heard my first stock exhaust Hyper. Rolled past while I was coaching my son's baseball team. I am definitely not getting rid of the Termis.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts