Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Losing the handguards, new mirrors and LED turn signals in front.

Everything is bolt on ready. No drilling. This a mock up......
Mirrors are very solid alloy construction from the Diavel Viper mirror 7202/03
I used the Ducati Performance LED turn signals 96637610B
Losing the handguards/plastic mirrors to make the bike narrower in profile.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Is this a product advertisment?
If it is, it is a pretty poor one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm sorry, maybe I'm always too negative, but I simply can't understand why someone likes all those accessories for motorbikes. Is it something typical American? Same as with Ferrari's or similar exotic cars, I can't help but notice in the US people always put those horrible 76 inch or whatever chrome spinners on cars like that.

Hey, can't argue about taste of course. If this is what you like...

In this case, you really like those mirrors better then the original ones? You can't be serious. It looks completely "off" it does not fit with the bike at all. The original ones are so nicely designed, same as with the hand guards with the FANTASTIC looking built-in indicators. This type of bike shouldn't have a narrower look, it needs to look big and fat from the front. Is it just changing or adding accessories just for the sake of it?

I'm sorry, just my opinion. I would like to add I prefer everything original, either with cars or bikes, or it has to be OEM parts specifically for the bike. Same as for instance with big after market exhaust pipes, it's just not for me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like the idea of it being narrower and getting rid of the fragile handguards that cost $100.00 each to replace. How would you mount the brake and clutch reservoir if you take off the handguards? Also, I don't like the idea of mounting the turnsignals in the slider for the windscreen as this would reduce the travel. Good concept and I could see it working.

·
Registered
210 Posts
...and one of my favorite quotes. "Great spirits have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here in Californicus, we are permitted to split traffic....hence the narrow profile is an attractive modification. What are the rules in Australius ?

The soft sprung stock MTS 1200 mirrors vibrated too much......the alloy aftermarket Viper mirrors borrowed from a Diavel are much better.

Motorcycle gets modified because it's for practical transport, and I promise to make sure it's not going in the Ducati museum......
The bikes can be improved...function is more important for daily drivers.

The sliding Puig windscreen doesn't get adjusted much, once you find the sweet spot, it's not really adjusted much after that. So the slot is perfect to mount the Ducati Performance LEDS, which are out of the way and high
mounted for good visibility and no drilling.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordering some standard brembo reservoir clamps and using these mirror half shell clamps used for the Hypermotard to liberate the handlebar space.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The bolt is smaller on the mirror mount right ?
How did you deal with that ?
Also the stock mirror covers the big square mounting point, do you have a close up pic of where it bolts at the mirror base?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, it's standard 10mm x 1.25mm RHD thread ,
same as the left side on the MTS. Remember it's LHD thread on the right side.

I had some covers for the MTS mirror holes laser cut.....

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I like the practical aspect of the mirrors being heavier, however I'm not too fond of the looks. Is there any other options?

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I removed the stock mirrors (I find them unsightly) and went with CRG Arrow bar ends. The front looks much less cluttered and less tiered.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have found a little weight in a mirror, is a good thing.
Takes out alot of vibration. The one on the Diavel
is the Ducati Performance 96738610A style.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Moto-science,
I apologise for my negative comment. When I looked at your OP, there were no photos just a few words that made little sense. Looked like a spam ad. Glad you fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Im not a huge fan, but getting mirrors that dont vibrate is a good idea. The stock ones really do vibrate alot, but they are nicely designed looks wise.

The stock turnsignals I really like, but Im not a huge fan of the DP LEDs since they are too small IMHO. I want the blinkers to show.

But all for getting a more narrow handlebar solution since i also lanesplit. Maybe narrower bars and moved in handguards?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm sorry, just my opinion. I would like to add I prefer everything original, either with cars or bikes, or it has to be OEM parts specifically for the bike. Same as for instance with big after market exhaust pipes, it's just not for me.
Your statement above says it all, anything that is different than stock will not look correct to you, that is your personal preference.

No Americans that I know have or like the spinner rims, that is something specific to the Hip Hop subculture.

To me one of the beautiful things about Motorcycles is the endless variations that the individual can achieve. Not all are to my taste but I love to check out all of the different directions that the individual can take.

I think all the stuff on the handlebars of the new MTS looks very plastic and cluttered, and for me the bars feel too wide. That is why I want to change the bike, second is to personalize the bike and make it my own not like everybody else's.

This is a one American's point of view.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Your statement above says it all, anything that is different than stock will not look correct to you, that is your personal preference.

No Americans that I know have or like the spinner rims, that is something specific to the Hip Hop subculture.

To me one of the beautiful things about Motorcycles is the endless variations that the individual can achieve. Not all are to my taste but I love to check out all of the different directions that the individual can take.

I think all the stuff on the handlebars of the new MTS looks very plastic and cluttered, and for me the bars feel too wide. That is why I want to change the bike, second is to personalize the bike and make it my own not like everybody else's.

This is a one American's point of view.
Well said PeterRPM! ...I would be a second American who shares the same opinion.

Reactions: Red Comet

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think it looks sharp. Thanks for sharing. Don't worry about the hater he's obviously got an axe to grind.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Im not a huge fan, but getting mirrors that dont vibrate is a good idea. The stock ones really do vibrate alot, but they are nicely designed looks wise.

The stock turnsignals I really like, but Im not a huge fan of the DP LEDs since they are too small IMHO. I want the blinkers to show.

But all for getting a more narrow handlebar solution since i also lanesplit. Maybe narrower bars and moved in handguards?
The DP mirrors w/ integrated signals for the MTS12 are great IMO. I replaced my stock mirrors with them and swapped the wires w/ the handguards so only the indicators in the mirrors blink (the handguards could be removed entirely). The DP mirrors are definitely heavier than the stockers, and the view in them is vibe-free. Spendy, yes, but a nice upgrade if you want to actually see what's behind you.... :D :p Yes, they are smaller than the stock mirrors, but not so small that they aren't usable. Personally, I'd rather have a smaller view and actually be able to see things vs. a larger, fuzzy view.

-SM

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
As bad as this may sound, the DP bar end mirrors I use on my PP are quite good even though they're not what you would usually expect as far as the look is concern. (I'm pretty sure I've purchased them from Moto Science).
To me, the bulky crap made of plastic has to go, when you reach what you like and what works for you is all that ultimately matters so on mine the bar was shortened, the blinkers, handguards and everything else went in a box, even the nose but that's just because I'm weird and everything that's on the bike to me is how it should be no matter what negative comments attracts.
After all, I'm the one that has to ride it and you should feel the same about your rides IMO.
I'm sure the Swiss guy is gonna love this one!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts