Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
He'd be foolish not to take the money. I'm sure it'd put Nicky out. I wonder who would suffer the "2nd Ducati Curse" that has plagued them the last couple years, Casey or Lorenzo?

·
Registered
698 Posts
How long is Nicky's contract for? Would they just pay him out and leave him out to dry like Kawi did to John Hopkins? Or demote him to a satellite team?

·
If you ain't first, you're last!
834 Posts
"You have to imagine how much Lorenzo would like to not only beat Rossi for the Championship, but do it also on an “inferior” machine."

are they saying that ducati is inferior to yamaha :eek:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Wow, Stoner and Lorenzo would make a heck of a team. I'd like to see it happen, just to mix things up a bit. I'd even just be interested to see how Lorenzo would do on the desmo, considering all the problems everyone else has complained about.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I smell Bullshit.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I hope it's not bullshit. I would love to see this happen. 7 million euro does seem abit much. but it would make motogp 10 times better than WSBK now...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
"You have to imagine how much Lorenzo would like to not only beat Rossi for the Championship, but do it also on an “inferior” machine."

all speculation, discussion and talks but commentators, analysts and some mechs think that Yamaha has a superior package.
Yes, Rossi is winning; the fact that Lorenzo is doing so well may confirm that Yamaha indeed has a better package.
Speculation is around the new 09 frame not being fully developed, yet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
How long is Nicky's contract for? Would they just pay him out and leave him out to dry like Kawi did to John Hopkins? Or demote him to a satellite team?
Hayden has an option for next year. It's his option, not Ducati's. I think he'll stick with Ducati. I don't think anyone else will pay him as much.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
It is and has been for a while now (not just this season). Look at the average performance of the four Ducs vs the four Yams during the last two (or even three) seasons. Then tell me the Duc has been the equal, let alone better, bike.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Lorenzo doesn't want the $$. He wants to be the World Champion. And Ducati is not the bike that will help him to deliver the title. Sorry.

·
9,757 Posts
This thread should be in the racing section.

In any case these rumours that Ducati and Marlboro have thrown a bunch of cash at Lorenzo are not totally unfounded. I've read them on solomoto's homepage and heard them from a couple commentators.

I would personally rather see Lorenzo and Hayden on the team. I never really got to like Stoner much as a racer or as a person, and this season hasn't made him look any better.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
Lorenzo would have more money in the bank as long he can live with the title of "also ran" by going with Ducati. As the article indicated, the Ducati is the inferior machine both in GP and WSBK. And judging by the latest SBK AMA results the Yamaha dominates there as well. I saw a new R-1 on a group ride this past weekend, it made a u-turn in front of us and motored up the hill. It didn't sound like a typical I/4 bike, the sound resembled a Motogp bike.

Unless Ducati engineers can do something about the bike and thats not likely, Lorenzo would be wagering bad odds by making a switch. I think that even with a healthy Stoner the Ducati has fallen further and further behind because the Yamaha has leaped ahead in performance. I would rather see Nicky in the seat for another year. I believe he is making steady progress even with a difficult bike to ride and the learning curve can be very slow besides. The ball is in the engineer's court at this time, if Ducati thinks by simply switching riders will solve the problem they are naive. Its the bike stupid. Finally, if Lorenzo takes the bait he will vacate a championship bike to some lucky replacement (Spies? but not likely for a rookie on a factory bike the first year). If Spies gets his ride then it will make people think hes some sort of superman when in reality hes been lucky enough to be on the fastest bikes. Its getting to the point where its not even close with the Yamaha dominating at all levels. Hell, they took the second AMA race by 10 seconds.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hayden has an option for next year. It's his option, not Ducati's. I think he'll stick with Ducati. I don't think anyone else will pay him as much.
I hope Ducati gives Nicky the chance to be healthy and ride the red bike. Lorenzo, as talented as he may be, will still have the growing pains going to the "harder to ride" Ducati.
I think the "inferior bike" thing refers to the second bike on the FIAT team.
If Ducati HAS to have Lorenzo, then they could pay Nicky's option and cut him. I don't think Ducati has that kind of money right now to do either. One needs to remember that Ducati racing does not enjoy the resources Yamaha does.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am extremely impressed with Lorenzo's riding, coming in as a rookie and doing so well, but I personally can't stand the guy. He's such a smug little bastard, I cheer every time he crashes out. I don't have any logical reason for this, he just rubs me the wrong way. Am I the only one?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am extremely impressed with Lorenzo's riding, coming in as a rookie and doing so well, but I personally can't stand the guy. He's such a smug little bastard, I cheer every time he crashes out. I don't have any logical reason for this, he just rubs me the wrong way. Am I the only one?
I feel the same way about Max Biaggi.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
I hope Ducati gives Nicky the chance to be healthy and ride the red bike. .
What gives, Brooksie...Is Nicky not 100%? I understand and realize that Casey is not (that phantom illness) but i didn't know that Nicky wasn't well.

I'm still learning about GP/SBK, so maybe I missed something :)

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Its Ducati's option, which they have to exercise by Sept 1st. So Indy better be good.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Lorenzo would have more money in the bank as long he can live with the title of "also ran" by going with Ducati. As the article indicated, the Ducati is the inferior machine both in GP and WSBK. And judging by the latest SBK AMA results the Yamaha dominates there as well. I saw a new R-1 on a group ride this past weekend, it made a u-turn in front of us and motored up the hill. It didn't sound like a typical I/4 bike, the sound resembled a Motogp bike.

Unless Ducati engineers can do something about the bike and thats not likely, Lorenzo would be wagering bad odds by making a switch. I think that even with a healthy Stoner the Ducati has fallen further and further behind because the Yamaha has leaped ahead in performance. I would rather see Nicky in the seat for another year. I believe he is making steady progress even with a difficult bike to ride and the learning curve can be very slow besides. The ball is in the engineer's court at this time, if Ducati thinks by simply switching riders will solve the problem they are naive. Its the bike stupid. Finally, if Lorenzo takes the bait he will vacate a championship bike to some lucky replacement (Spies? but not likely for a rookie on a factory bike the first year). If Spies gets his ride then it will make people think hes some sort of superman when in reality hes been lucky enough to be on the fastest bikes. Its getting to the point where its not even close with the Yamaha dominating at all levels. Hell, they took the second AMA race by 10 seconds.
Interesting that just two years ago, Ducati's 800cc MotoGP bike was so much better than the others, nobody had a chance. Stoner hardly had to break a sweat. It was almost like a liter bike vs some 600's. Part of Rossi's brilliance was how he helped shape the Yamaha MotoGp bike the next year, and on into this year. Lorenzo has been crashing out because he is pushing beyond his capabilities trying to outpace Rossi. Just like Biaggi did, Gibernau on occassion, and even Stoner a bit last year. I wouldn't be surprised if Lorenzo were to take the bait to get out from underneath that huge shadow.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts