·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Shit ..... shit shit shit.

Well, I suppose it's wise. Better that than risking life changing spinal injury.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Good for him. He left on his own terms, and walking. What a stellar career! Big Respect for Jorge!!
Takes guts to walk away. So many of them convince themselves they'll win just one more championship and instead they end up fading farther back until they're just these sad old racers clinging to their glory days. That seems to happen in pretty much every form of motor racing.

9 years with Yamaha and 5 championships .... damned respectable career!

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
If he knew after the crash at Assen that he was fucked, why did he keep going? Who benefited from the prolonged delay. He didn’t do himself or Honda any favours by taking so long to retire.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
He covered that in the press conference.
A snippet from his announcement earlier today for anyone that hasn't had the opportunity to read the article and Jorge's announcement:

..... "I have to admit when I was rolling in the gravel and stood up, I thought to myself ‘OK Jorge, is this really worth it? after what I've achieved, to keep suffering… I am done with it, I don’t want to race anymore'.

"But then I came back home and decided to give it a try. I didn't want to make any early decision. So I kept going. But the truth is from that moment the hill became so high and so big for me that I was not able to find the motivation, the patience, to keep trying to climb this mountain.

"I love to ride, I love competition, I love this sport but above all, I love to win. I realised at some point this was not possible, in this short time with Honda." ......

Nothing but huge respect for the man. Big respect, yo !!!!

Thumbs up Jorge .... you're a legend, a role model, and a proven champion 5 times over. Enjoy whatever endeavors you wish to pursue in your life.
🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not to be Mr. Cynical, but if he didn't retire, was he even going to have a ride next year?

Anyway, good for him to retire on his terms.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
I think Expolita had some advice for Jorge over the last two weeks, he had chats with him and he was also there to personally congratulate Zarco of his showing on the Honda.
Nobody wanted to see Jorge damage his back again and I'd guess the sight of Wayne Rainey bravely riding a motorcycle again might have been a tipping point for him.
Stay safe Jorge and mend that back properly.

·
7,547 Posts

·
7,547 Posts
In my vision I see Cal using his brain and retiring before he fucks his leg completely, Zarco getting the HRC seat, Nakagami getting Cals bike and Marquez junior getting Naka's bike.
Even I can dream.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
A roll model? You’re kidding! Not for me or my kids or grandkids. I spent their entire youth teaching them not to be pompous, arrogant assholes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nope. Not kidding at all. Champion motorcycle racers are no different than fighter pilots ... their self confidence is 100% necessary to their survival and success. As a parent or grandparent it's their job to provide context and a counterweight to teach the kids when self confidence is good, and when it's not good. But without having role models that possess those strong willed characteristics and self assured attitudes there's no source for kids to learn to never quit, and spend their lives ceaselessly moving forward without giving up.

One person's "pompus, arrogant asshole" is another person's source of strength. It the parent's role to step in and provide guidance and context regarding how to manage that strength in a positive manner.

So yes ... absolutely yes ... a role model. I can absolutely guarantee that had I not had my own "arrogant asshole" role models that I learned positive power from, I would ... without any question ... be dead.

·
Super Moderator
26,040 Posts
I was thinking along those same lines. The championship winning motorcycle racers I know have this drive and self confidence that borders on, and often slips into, arrogance. That self-belief and motivation is one of the major things that separates them from the rest of us.
At the end of the day, the Jorge we saw today and for the past year was not the old arrogant Jorge we've seen in past years.
One of the members at ADVRider ran into him and his assistant in an airport a couple years ago. The flight was delayed and they sat and shot the breeze for over an hour. He said they were both very friendly and down to earth, and easy to talk to.

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
A roll model? You’re kidding! Not for me or my kids or grandkids. I spent their entire youth teaching them not to be pompous, arrogant assholes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
He lost me when he “won” his last crown. No sportsmanship there that year.

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
I wouldn’t be giving Cal the ride over Zarco. He basically has the current bike anyway and he’s carrying to many injuries. Plus I think the Frog is a faster rider.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts