Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent postings of loose fasteners, I was doing some bolt checking and just general cleaning on my bike when i decided to see if the wheels are loose. when i grabbed the rear wheel and shook it laterally i could "feel" some very minor play. no visible play... just it. it's as if one needs to adjust the hub a quarter turn to tighten that "looseness". is this normal for everyone? it could be the rear hub or the rear suspension's pivot point. i'm guessing it's the hub. the bike's only a year old so i could technically just bring it in but just wondering if this is the norm.

·
Registered
307 Posts
With the recent postings of loose fasteners, I was doing some bolt checking and just general cleaning on my bike when i decided to see if the wheels are loose. when i grabbed the rear wheel and shook it laterally i could "feel" some very minor play. no visible play... just it. it's as if one needs to adjust the hub a quarter turn to tighten that "looseness". is this normal for everyone? it could be the rear hub or the rear suspension's pivot point. i'm guessing it's the hub. the bike's only a year old so i could technically just bring it in but just wondering if this is the norm.
Oh man.....your turn signal blinker fluid is low. Better run down to Wal Mart and get some because when it runs low the rear wheel wobbles. :abduct:

·
7,733 Posts
I'd check things out, ie remove and replace the wheel and inspect all components for wear and correct install and torque. If there's still some play after reassembly, then look elsewhere, perhaps the suspension pivot points as you mentioned. There should be *zero* play felt IMO. What little there is, is likely to to get worse over time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There should be *zero* play felt IMO. What little there is, is likely to to get worse over time.
+1

Has the rear wheel been removed/reinstalled since purchase?
There are "posts" on the axle that the wheel must be lined up with/slid over when installing - see attached pic (the wheel has holes to accept the posts). On more than one occasion I have seen people reinstall the rear wheel without properly lining up and inserting the posts into the wheel - the wheel will go on fine and tighten but there is "play" (the wheel will move slightly independent of axle) because the posts are "floating" in the larger wheel cavity (not the intended holes). If the wheel has never been removed, it's hard to imagine it was installed incorrectly at the factory but considering what I have found in my Ducati engines over the years (woodruff keys, nuts, bolts. etc.) anything is possible . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh man.....your turn signal blinker fluid is low. Better run down to Wal Mart and get some because when it runs low the rear wheel wobbles. :abduct:
Darn went all over town looking for this "turn signal blinker fluid" but no one at walmart could sell me one. So I just JB welded it. That fix'd her. :abduct:

Seriously now. I've never removed the wheel before. I brought the bike to the shop once to adjust the chain tension before plus the regular maintenance. I doubt they would remove the wheel for that. Is it possible that the bearings are already worn?! It only has 4000 kms on it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No bearings on the wheel that I'm aware of. Its a specially large socket to remove the wheel. If you don't have that I'd just take it to the dealer

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I don't have that size alright. I think I'll do just that. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Seven9Six, you are obviously clueless.

This is a classic case of a bad muffler bearing.
R&R and everything will be well with the world!

Romer

·
Registered
307 Posts
Seven9Six, you are obviously clueless.

This is a classic case of a bad muffler bearing.
R&R and everything will be well with the world!

Romer
Yep...my bad. But seriously....i doubt very much that there is anything at all wrong with his less than a year old Hyper. There has to be "SOME" play in the wheel or it wouldn't turn.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're right seven9six that there should be some play and that a 1 year bike should be good especially since admittedly I'm not a hardcore rider as many of you guys are here but the play is not something we would feel when you rock it laterally. I'm not as old and experienced as some of you guys here but I do know the feel when something is a little loose. You "hear" the "tok-tok-tok" in your hands as I rock it (sorry couldn't find how to explain it better). It's also not evident with the front wheel.

Btw, a loose battery cable also shouldn't be happening to a few weeks old hyper but it does.

Is it possible that the two bolt to adjust the chain length is loose? I think I'll check that out before bringing that to the shop. Again thanks to everyone. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts