Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just noticed that my tank moves quite a but and can be lifted a tad without removing any bolts. From what I can tell, the tank is only secured via the rear of the tank. The bolts seem to all be there and are tight. Is slight movement of the tank as well as the ability to lift it off the frame a little (from the top near keyguard) normal? Just wondering because all of the bikes I have had previously had the fuel tank connected at the front and rear, making them not budge at all.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The tank is held at the front by a rubber strap affair, so a little movement is indeed possible.

If you undo the two allen bolts holding the keyguard/tank cover on and remove it, you will see how the tank is held at the front.

The rubber strap can be unhooked, and the tank can be articulated up and held in place by the tank support strut (which you can see on the right side of the engine just underneath the tank) to enable you to change the spark plug in the vertical cylinder, change air filters, muck about with the fuel injection system etc.
But NEVER have the tank in this position with any more than the smallest amount of gas in the tank, as the weight of a full tank could damage the hinge, or more likely the tank area around the hinge, where the tank is bolted on at the rear..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tank is held at the front by a rubber strap affair, so a little movement is indeed possible.

If you undo the two allen bolts holding the keyguard/tank cover on and remove it, you will see how the tank is held at the front.

The rubber strap can be unhooked, and the tank can be articulated up and held in place by the tank support strut (which you can see on the right side of the engine just underneath the tank) to enable you to change the spark plug in the vertical cylinder, change air filters, muck about with the fuel injection system etc.
But NEVER have the tank in this position with any more than the smallest amount of gas in the tank, as the weight of a full tank could damage the hinge, or more likely the tank area around the hinge, where the tank is bolted on at the rear..

Thanks for the quick reply Mark! It looks like the front strap is weathered and starting to fall apart, so it seems a replacement is due. Thanks again for the quick reply!

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
+1. But also, do be sure to remove the seat before you try to pivot the tank.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1. But also, do be sure to remove the seat before you try to pivot the tank.

Have a good one.

Thanks tonered, I'll keep that in mind when I replace the strap. I ordered the part a few minutes ago it should be here on a week or so. In the meantime, no filling up the tank for me.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Don't worry too much about it. I've left that strap unattached a couple times by accident. There are no real side loads on a bike fuel tank except when the rubber side isn't down.

Cornering at max speed, the load is through the combine bike and rider CG, straight through the tire contact patch. That combine CG (Bike: 550lb min / Rider with gear: about 180lb or more) is still going to be darn close to the frame rails.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't worry too much about it. I've left that strap unattached a couple times by accident. There are no real side loads on a bike fuel tank except when the rubber side isn't down.

Cornering at max speed, the load is through the combine bike and rider CG, straight through the tire contact patch. That combine CG (Bike: 550lb min / Rider with gear: about 180lb or more) is still going to be darn close to the frame rails.

Have a good one.
Yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking about centrifugal force and CG when I pictures hanging off a bit around corners. It's probably been a bit loose for awhile now but I must have just noticed it today. Good info tonered!

·
7,733 Posts
The east-west movement in my tank has always troubled me as I'm sure it must contribute to eventual leaking around the hing plate and perhaps even rear seam leaks over time and flex cycles. This year I was going to try to close the gap between frame rails and the under tank, curved stops, probably right side. My plan is to glue some strips of rubber tubing to the inside curved face of the stop to centre the tank more to the left once it's on the frame tubes, down on the airbox. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The east-west movement in my tank has always troubled me as I'm sure it must contribute to eventual leaking around the hing plate and perhaps even rear seam leaks over time and flex cycles. This year I was going to try to close the gap between frame rails and the under tank, curved stops, probably right side. My plan is to glue some strips of rubber tubing to the inside curved face of the stop to centre the tank more to the left once it's on the frame tubes, down on the airbox. :)
This was a concern of mine as well as I had also read about leaking from the rear hinge plate. Mine isn't leaking, thankfully, but I would like to prevent the possibility of it happening.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Just for clarity, I have marks on my frame from where the rubber pads rest, but I have never seen the tank "in motion."

Are you guys observing some kind of motion while riding, or are you talking about the fact that the tank can be shifted around slightly with hand pressure?

Also, I have rub marks on the aft side of the tank where I believe my Corbin seat "supports" the tank. I have no idea what the interaction is with the Duc seat as I have never used it.

Have a good one.

·
7,733 Posts
I can shift ny tank left-right about 10-15mms. When at its natural resting place, the left side of the ignition cover is virtually in contact with the key barrell. It doesn't move on its own that I can tell when riding.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
I can do that also. I have to shift it to one side slightly to aligned the key cover holes. Once the fasteners are started, I center up the tank.

Have a good one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts