Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well I took the delivery and the thing is brilliant!

It came delivered in impeccable condition and you can tell this bike was not a "Friday" bike! It still had the green dot sticker quality control markers on it!

I've put 300kms on it and no flat spot detected but I haven't pounded the rev range yet as I want it broken in proper.

It looks the bomb on volcano grey and I've already order the fun Termi system and the tour pack.

So comfy, more nimble than even I thought, and love the power especially the torque. Love how you can just throw it in a corner and it just babies you.

Funnest bike I've owned to date.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
It's been over 9 months in the making but I got the Multi I wanted, broke it in, serviced and full pipe installed and I'm happy to say, it was a Risk having never ridden one, its an awesome new riding experience. Everything and more I hoped for. Thanks to many of you for all the loads of feedback I got over the fall winter spring. The forum rocks!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Resurrecting another zombie thread.

My local dealer has promised me a killer deal on a new in the crate 2016 MTS1200S. I demoed the bike last year and really noticed the torque dip on their demo bike. I think that bike is a 2016 as well but I can confirm later this week. So I have two questions. I really noticed the torque dip while in Sport mode but maybe it is less noticeable in Touring?

1) Did they really solve the torque drop issue for 2017?

2) Can parts or the new stock ECU settings/map/whatever be installed on a 2016?

I don't want to have to swap out the entire exhaust on the bike to fix a factory issue and then end up paying as much money for a new 2017 if that bike is already fixed.

I have heard the problem was originally blamed on US fuel as European testing did not reveal this problem. To me that says I can run ethanol free premium and the problem goes away. It cannot be that simple can it?

If I am not confident on getting rid of the torque drop, they'll also sell me a new 950 at a great price as well. I am back on forth between the 950 and 1200 and will ride the 950 once weather gets better. That will really help make my mind up but if the torque curve of the 1200 is still an issue then I may skip that bike. But damn that suspension is awesome and I LOVE the low seat height as well.

Decisions, decisions.

NC

·
Registered
372 Posts
So I have two questions. I really noticed the torque dip while in Sport mode but maybe it is less noticeable in Touring?
It's the same in both modes, but I suppose it's less noticeable in touring mode as the throttle response is softened. But honestly, I only notice the dip on my '16 when I go looking for it. If I’m riding 'in anger' I’m above the range where it happens. If I’m just putting around, I’m super unlikely to whack the throttle open at 4 or 5k. I would prefer the dip weren’t there, but it hasn’t caused me a moment of worry. I have all the fun on this bike that my nervous system is equipped to handle.

My understanding, including info from Ducati's 2018 reveal, is that it's still there, but less than on the '15s and '16s.

Best info I’ve found is that the parts can be installed, but the new map (if there even is one) won’t install on the 'wrong' bikes per the computer.

I have heard the problem was originally blamed on US fuel as European testing did not reveal this problem. To me that says I can run ethanol free premium and the problem goes away. It cannot be that simple can it?
It's not that simple. The dip is almost certainly an artifact of Euro 4 testing procedures. Ethanol-free fuel doesn’t fix the issue, and you can find reports of European owners talking about the issue as well. Further, at the 1260 launch at EICMA, they showed a torque graph with the dip to a European audience without saying anything like, “Hey, this new model is an improvement on the US bike only.”

If I am not confident on getting rid of the torque drop, they'll also sell me a new 950 at a great price as well.
Doesn’t make any sense to me. Your worries about a minimally problematic torque dip on the 1200 aren’t really overcome by buying a version of the bike where the whole thing is a torque dip.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am interested in the 950 for other reasons as well. It isn't the fact that the performance drops in the 1200 due to to the torque drop. It is because the drop is annoying and should not be there. You may not see it this way but I do. To buy the Multistrada 1200 with the torque dip and just working around it is like saying I have a Stratocaster guitar with fret buzz issues that cannot be resolved but I can work around it by not playing certain chords. A work around isn't for me. Especially on a 20k bike.

It isn't the end of the world and I have to wonder if you bought your bike not knowing about the issue and have no choice but to live with it or sell the bike. But since I have not purchased one yet, I have to be more cautious.

The lack of a 19" front tire is a bigger deal but even that is not a deal killer. I'll test ride both back to back and have the dealer show me the numbers. They are promising me a killer deal as I am a loyal customer. Now if that means $1,000 off on a bike with a torque dip I'll just buy the 1260. Now if they are talking 3,000 off I'll just live with it. I know most of the time I won't be whacking the throttle open at 4,000 and expecting magic. In fact the dip is only noticeable from about 4,000 to 5,000 rpm. By then you are starting the climb upward so it is the downward part of the dip I don't like.

Thanks for the response.

NC

It's the same in both modes, but I suppose it's less noticeable in touring mode as the throttle response is softened. But honestly, I only notice the dip on my '16 when I go looking for it. If I’m riding 'in anger' I’m above the range where it happens. If I’m just putting around, I’m super unlikely to whack the throttle open at 4 or 5k. I would prefer the dip weren’t there, but it hasn’t caused me a moment of worry. I have all the fun on this bike that my nervous system is equipped to handle.

My understanding, including info from Ducati's 2018 reveal, is that it's still there, but less than on the '15s and '16s.

Best info I’ve found is that the parts can be installed, but the new map (if there even is one) won’t install on the 'wrong' bikes per the computer.

It's not that simple. The dip is almost certainly an artifact of Euro 4 testing procedures. Ethanol-free fuel doesn’t fix the issue, and you can find reports of European owners talking about the issue as well. Further, at the 1260 launch at EICMA, they showed a torque graph with the dip to a European audience without saying anything like, “Hey, this new model is an improvement on the US bike only.”

Doesn’t make any sense to me. Your worries about a minimally problematic torque dip on the 1200 aren’t really overcome by buying a version of the bike where the whole thing is a torque dip.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I've heard of ducati issues ever since the 1098 came out, every bike had it's share of issues if not one thing was another, don't thing you're buying a bike that won't have any issues right out of the box.
Buying a ducati means buying a starter kit, you take it home and then you work on getting it as close as perfect as you can, at least that has been my lesson from the first day I brought home my first ducati.
Cheers!

·
Registered
372 Posts
It isn't the end of the world and I have to wonder if you bought your bike not knowing about the issue and have no choice but to live with it or sell the bike.

Nope. The issue was well known when I went shopping. I test rode the bikes I was interested in and the Multi was the clear winner for me. Other bikes had their flaws as well. My #2 choice, the BMW S1000XR had unacceptable (to me) handlebar buzz. I also looked at the Superduke GT, but having owned a KTM, I wasn’t sure I wanted to sign up for that pain again.

You know what matters to you of course, but I’m just wrapping up a day of riding the Malibu canyons and I noticed the dip exactly no times.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'll perform another test once our snow melts. I may never have noticed the torque dip had I not learned of it before I tested the bike.

I used to live in California and miss the weather but not the high cost of living or politics.

NC

Nope. The issue was well known when I went shopping. I test rode the bikes I was interested in and the Multi was the clear winner for me. Other bikes had their flaws as well. My #2 choice, the BMW S1000XR had unacceptable (to me) handlebar buzz. I also looked at the Superduke GT, but having owned a KTM, I wasn’t sure I wanted to sign up for that pain again.

You know what matters to you of course, but I’m just wrapping up a day of riding the Malibu canyons and I noticed the dip exactly no times.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've heard of ducati issues ever since the 1098 came out, every bike had it's share of issues if not one thing was another, don't thing you're buying a bike that won't have any issues right out of the box.
Buying a ducati means buying a starter kit, you take it home and then you work on getting it as close as perfect as you can, at least that has been my lesson from the first day I brought home my first ducati.
Cheers!
I few idiosyncracies are just fine with me but the bike basically needs to be solid mechanical or it just won't work. It looks like the bikes are pretty robust and given that folks have taken these bikes on long distance trips successfully, there is no reason why I shouldn't have similar success.

NC

·
Registered
665 Posts
Resurrecting another zombie thread.

My local dealer has promised me a killer deal on a new in the crate 2016 MTS1200S. I demoed the bike last year and really noticed the torque dip on their demo bike. I think that bike is a 2016 as well but I can confirm later this week. So I have two questions. I really noticed the torque dip while in Sport mode but maybe it is less noticeable in Touring?
NC
Its noticeable in all modes. I hated it and traded it in for the amazing 1260. This bike is awesome.
NC
No they didn't. It's still there. Some notice it, others not. If you don't all is good and you have a fine bike. No need to worry about something you can't notice right.
NC
No it can't, even remapping isn't easy. A full Termi and a Rapidbike EVO will cure it, but at what cost????
I don't want to have to swap out the entire exhaust on the bike to fix a factory issue and then end up paying as much money for a new 2017 if that bike is already fixed.NC
So true
I have heard the problem was originally blamed on US fuel as European testing did not reveal this problem. To me that says I can run ethanol free premium and the problem goes away. It cannot be that simple can it?NC
No it isn't that simple
If I am not confident on getting rid of the torque drop, they'll also sell me a new 950 at a great price as well. I am back on forth between the 950 and 1200 and will ride the 950 once weather gets better. That will really help make my mind up but if the torque curve of the 1200 is still an issue then I may skip that bike. But damn that suspension is awesome and I LOVE the low seat height as well.NC
Skip the 2015-17. Go for either the 950 or the 1260.
Decisions, decisions.

NC

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have you noticed any measurable difference in fuel economy between the new and old engines?

I agree it should either be 950 or 1260; if the torque drop is at all bothersome for the potential rider and it is for me.

NC

Its noticeable in all modes. I hated it and traded it in for the amazing 1260. This bike is awesome.

No they didn't. It's still there. Some notice it, others not. If you don't all is good and you have a fine bike. No need to worry about something you can't notice right.

No it can't, even remapping isn't easy. A full Termi and a Rapidbike EVO will cure it, but at what cost????

So true

No it isn't that simple

Skip the 2015-17. Go for either the 950 or the 1260.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts