Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting old I guess my 2012 1199 Panigale was a blast but after 20mins on it I'm ready for a extended nap!

Looking to trade it in for a new 2017 Multi 1200s volcano grey!:grin2:

I haven't ridden one. Closest thing I've ridden to it was a 1200gs about 15 years ago. I looked at all the you tube videos, read all about it, etc. I'm pumped to experience it. Be out of the wind for the most part, the power, the comfort, the handling are all things I'm looking forward to. I'm keeping my 848 Street fighter for booting around town but I wanted to give this bike a try.

No demos at my dealership unfortunately.

The BMW 1000xr disinterests me even know the reviews are better than the multi. I find it hideous looking and inline 4s are boring.

I love the look, the mapping, the character? Well, what can I say I'm addicted to that. What do you 2015-2016 owners think of yours? Any pending issues with these 1200s? Reliable? Start ok (even with those charcoal canisters attached)? any electrical issues, fuelling, etc??? Don't care about the pannier issues at this point. Might do full Termi right off the bat as well.

Appreciate anyword from you Multi folks!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a '15 1200gs. Always loved the MTS so this past summer took one for a ride and was blown away. A fantastic bike. I purchased a '16 MTS. Very comfortable, handling is superb, the dvt is evolution at its best. They broke an untamed mustang, still very capable of speeds and torque none of us should be experiencing on the roads, but also made it much more smooth and manageable. everyone has a right to their opinion and I'm sure some people like the untamedness of the previous multi Strada. But, this generation MTS is very hard to beat on the tarmac in terms of riding, wether it is short stints or touring. Good luck on your decision. I hope you find the right bike for you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a '15 1200gs. Always loved the MTS so this past summer took one for a ride and was blown away. A fantastic bike. I purchased a '16 MTS. Very comfortable, handling is superb, the dvt is evolution at its best. They broke an untamed mustang, still very capable of speeds and torque none of us should be experiencing on the roads, but also made it much more smooth and manageable. everyone has a right to their opinion and I'm sure some people like the untamedness of the previous multi Strada. But, this generation MTS is very hard to beat on the tarmac in terms of riding, wether it is short stints or touring. Good luck on your decision. I hope you find the right bike for you.
Excellent, encouraging. 90% sure I'm gonna do it. Can't wait till spring!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't have the new dvt, but a 2010 model I picked up 6 weeks ago for a good deal with only 9000 miles. It has 1100 now and is a great great bike. I like you love sport bikes (also getting old) and is why I looked at a Multistrada, I wanted the power. I replaced my GSXR 1000 with this and don't regret one bit as it also induced tiredness and sore legs/hip flexors after just a short ride. It was in the 80's here in St. Louis last Thursday so I took of work and rode for 3 1/2 hours of back roads and I could have kept going. Oh yeah I removed that ugly charcoal canister the day before this ride and it made no difference other than looking better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Multistrada DVT is probably the best sport touring bike on the market.. I also came from super sport bikes and I can have a lot of fun with this bike curving Very aggressively (remove the central stand )
The different suspension modes allow you to enjoy thw bike in any situation plus the cruise control on highways it's a pleasure
I also never used the panniers
I have full system termignoni from the begin and never felt that the bike should have more power.. the front wheel is lifting all the time
Btw I would like to have both my bike and your bike in the same garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Ahhhh Winterpeg Hows the Twisties out there? (non Existant?)
My last ride 3 days ago in warm 60's was still exhilarating, Thoughts of Yeah I could go on for hours.
It is a big bike all the way around seat height and Motor is PERFECT for me right amount to give thrills (STILL).

Nice the people from other frigid places are adding to the thread...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent thanks guys I'm more pumped for doing this. We got a little snow today for the first time this year. This thread will help getting through the winter.:(

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhhh Winterpeg Hows the Twisties out there? (non Existant?)
My last ride 3 days ago in warm 60's was still exhilarating, Thoughts of Yeah I could go on for hours.
It is a big bike all the way around seat height and Motor is PERFECT for me right amount to give thrills (STILL).

Nice the people from other frigid places are adding to the thread...
actually today is the first day we had any snow at all. Bikes on the road last week here. That's part if the reason I want the multi is is I can get out of town to find those twisties.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm in the growing older class like you, I'll be 60 very early next year.

As you can see from my signature, my bike choices are still very much sporting. My 1299S sees mostly track duty in the A group, (I'm still pretty fast for an old guy...:) ), but like you, I needed something a little more comfortable for long street rides.

I bought myself a Tuono V4 and absolutely love the bike, but although it's not a great bike for loading luggage on, it can be done.

I also had a Goldwing, and although that bike handles pretty well for its size, I wanted something that was lighter and sportier.

I sold the Goldwing and replaced it with the '15 Multistrada. I've been through most of the teething issues, all sorted reasonably quickly by my local dealer, who fortunately is only 15 miles away.

Between my three current (active) street bikes, my R1 and Cb400F are moth balled at the moment, if I had to reduce my bikes down to just one, the Multistrada would be the one left in the garage.

The Multistrada just does everything well, it's comfortable, the 'S' suspension is sublime, it handles extremely well for a sports tourer. Then engine is strong, mine dyno'd at 144rwhp after the 11/15 map update with the stock exhaust.

I did test ride a '15 with the full Termi, the one I rode actually made less rwhp than mine and I didn't like the sound and the extra volume. I was hoping the exhaust note would be more like the tone of my 1098 with full Termi, but the one I rode sounded more like a Honda Civic with a Fart can. So I saved $2600 there, the only benefit, from my perspective, would have been the 15lbs weight savings.

My bike will never go off road, so I don't have any use for the Enduro settings and I use my right wrist to control the motor, so the dumped down Urban mode is redundant.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, I look at all the new bikes coming out and I can't see any offerings that would make me part with the Multistrada, the KTM 1290GT is tempting, but for my purposes, arrived 15 months too late.

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
Getting old I guess my 2012 1199 Panigale was a blast but after 20mins on it I'm ready for a extended nap!

I haven't ridden one. Closest thing I've ridden to it was a 1200gs about 15 years ago. I looked at all the you tube videos, read all about it, etc. I'm pumped to experience it. Be out of the wind for the most part, the power, the comfort, the handling are all things I'm looking forward to. I'm keeping my 848 Street fighter for booting around town but I wanted to give this bike a try.

The BMW 1000xr disinterests me even know the reviews are better than the multi. I find it hideous looking and inline 4s are boring.

I love the look, the mapping, the character? Well, what can I say I'm addicted to that. What do you 2015-2016 owners think of yours? Any pending issues with these 1200s? Reliable? Start ok (even with those charcoal canisters attached)? any electrical issues, fuelling, etc??? Don't care about the pannier issues at this point. Might do full Termi right off the bat as well.

The GS is a great bike but a different beast than the Multi. Down low in the RPM range the GS is smoother but they both feel very similar power wise and their dyno charts do tend to map on top of each other to a point. The big power difference comes at the top end... with 25,000 miles on a DVT Multi, I was used to a specific acceleration profile and what happened with the GS was right when my brain was expecting the bike to take off like a raped ape (that's a technical term), the GS hit the rev limiter (which I bounced off of a LOT during the first days ride with it).

From a Pani I'm guessing the Multi will feel like it's "In the middle" between it and the GS. The Multi isn't as comfortable as the GS (but a lot more comfortable than the Pani), It's not as powerful top end as the Panigale, but I'd bet it feels closer to that than to the tractor like GS power delivery.

IMO the XR wouldn't be on my list to replace the Multi at all... I'd be looking at the KTM or Aprilia super naked's... both offering a more comfortable ride than the Pani but near superbike power.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I own a 2016 Multistrada 1200S. I also own a 2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290R.

I know it's probably heresy to say it, but if you're looking to replace an 1199 Panigale you might find that the SuperDuke is a better bike for you than the Multistrada. I hate to say it but the Multistrada feels fat and boring in comparison to the KTM. The SuperDuke is really close to being a super bike that can be ridden all day long... in comfort. The SuperDuke has an engine and brakes that blow the Multistrada out of the water. The electronic rider aids aren't as adjustable as they are on a Ducati, which I find slightly annoying. Suspension is the SuperDuke's one short-coming. All the magazine reviews say the WP suspension should be great, but I haven't been impressed. It's slightly better than the suspension you'd get on a Japanese bike, but a step behind Ohlins and a couple of steps behind the Multistrada's Skyhook system. Maybe I just haven't found the right setup for the WP fork and shock? In any event, it doesn't matter: having access to world-moving amounts of torque at any RPM is worth whatever faults the SuperDuke might have!

If you're looking for a long-distance sport-touring bike, then the Multistrada 1200S is definitely a contender. Before buying my Multi, I test-rode the BMW S1000XR and hated it. I thought the BMW's semi-active suspension was awful, the inline-4 engine was way too manic, and the handlebar vibration that all S1000XR owners says doesn't exist had my hands going numb by the end of my 30-minute test-ride. If I were looking for a sport-touring bike today, I think the one bike that would give the Multistrada a run for it's money is the KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT. It has everything I love about the SuperDuke R in a more Multistrada-like package. If KTM can make their semi-active suspension work 75% as well as Skyhook Evo the Multistrada is going to have a real fight on its hands...

All of which isn't to say that the Multistrada 1200S isn't a great bike: it definitely is. The DVT engine is dramatically smoother than my buddy's 2010 Multistrada. Torque isn't plentiful below 4000rpm and there's still a disappointing hole in the torque curve centered around 5000rpm. Change the sprockets and you probably wouldn't notice that as much as you do with the (overly tall) stock gearing. The Skyhook Evo semi-active suspension is, in a word, awesome! In terms of reliability, I haven't had any major problems. The fuel sender on my bike recently failed, which is a common problem for many Ducati these days. The starting system certainly sounds anemic compared to the SuperDuke, but my Multi has only failed to start once or twice. I believe cold temps were a contributing factor both times. In both cases, giving the bike a few minutes to rest allowed it to start.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I too am very happy with my 2015 DVT after ditching the stock exhaust for a MIVV Suono and mid-pipe the bike came alive and now that i had the ECU flashed the drop in torque is also gone, this bike rips like nothing else that I've ever ridden.
I came from a 2010 Honda VFR 1200 that had the ECU flashed and that was a good bike but I never could get the suspension right so it was time to move up and that I did, in every way the DVT is a great bike, the skyhook suspension is great, the motor is great and the upright riding position is also wonderful as well as all the bells and whistles... Cruise Control, Riding modes, heated grips and adjustable suspension...
I would look for a leftover 2015-2016 and see if there are any deals to be had.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

Since you already own Ducati's, you're already broken-in on upkeep and etc., so I say get the '17 Multi as soon as you can. It has an improved airbox design and improved engine mapping over the '15 and '16 models. Most of us '15 and '16 owners are hoping Ducati gives us some route to upgrade our previous year models to the same air box and map.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since you already own Ducati's, you're already broken-in on upkeep and etc., so I say get the '17 Multi as soon as you can. It has an improved airbox design and improved engine mapping over the '15 and '16 models. Most of us '15 and '16 owners are hoping Ducati gives us some route to upgrade our previous year models to the same air box and map.
That is what I am hoping for as well. Really don't want that toque flat spot on this bike, hopefully the bigger air box and re mapping do the trick.

I'd look at the KTM 1290 Gt but sadly no reps in this province. If there were warranty issues that could be a real problem!!!

I still like the look of the multi better and it sounds like the suspension blows it away anyways.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm in the growing older class like you, I'll be 60 very early next year.

As you can see from my signature, my bike choices are still very much sporting. My 1299S sees mostly track duty in the A group, (I'm still pretty fast for an old guy...:) ), but like you, I needed something a little more comfortable for long street rides.

I bought myself a Tuono V4 and absolutely love the bike, but although it's not a great bike for loading luggage on, it can be done.

I also had a Goldwing, and although that bike handles pretty well for its size, I wanted something that was lighter and sportier.

I sold the Goldwing and replaced it with the '15 Multistrada. I've been through most of the teething issues, all sorted reasonably quickly by my local dealer, who fortunately is only 15 miles away.

Between my three current (active) street bikes, my R1 and Cb400F are moth balled at the moment, if I had to reduce my bikes down to just one, the Multistrada would be the one left in the garage.

The Multistrada just does everything well, it's comfortable, the 'S' suspension is sublime, it handles extremely well for a sports tourer. Then engine is strong, mine dyno'd at 144rwhp after the 11/15 map update with the stock exhaust.

I did test ride a '15 with the full Termi, the one I rode actually made less rwhp than mine and I didn't like the sound and the extra volume. I was hoping the exhaust note would be more like the tone of my 1098 with full Termi, but the one I rode sounded more like a Honda Civic with a Fart can. So I saved $2600 there, the only benefit, from my perspective, would have been the 15lbs weight savings.

My bike will never go off road, so I don't have any use for the Enduro settings and I use my right wrist to control the motor, so the dumped down Urban mode is redundant.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, I look at all the new bikes coming out and I can't see any offerings that would make me part with the Multistrada, the KTM 1290GT is tempting, but for my purposes, arrived 15 months too late.
Well I'm no where near your age but I guess a break for super bikes is the choice for me for now.

Thanks for the pipe advice! I may just go stock for a while first and then make an educated decision afterwards. Disappointing regarding the crappy sound from the Termi pipe and less performance! Wow kind of a waste!!!

This one will never see the off road was well just pavement ripping is all.

I would trade my 848SF for a Tuono V4 but no reps in this province. Warranty issues coupled with no dealership would stress me out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ducati rep here in Manitoba is Wildwood motor sports. They are good enough. We've done lots of deals and they take care for me for warranty issues. Mickey Mouse in some ways but trust worthy and experienced to do what I need done.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'd look at the KTM 1290 Gt but sadly no reps in this province. If there were warranty issues that could be a real problem!!!

I still like the look of the multi better and it sounds like the suspension blows it away anyways.
Probably not...

The Skyhook Evo suspension on the Multistrada 1200S is significantly better than the conventional suspension on the SuperDuke 1290 R.

The Bosch semi-active suspension on the SuperDuke 1290 GT is likely to be a fairly even match for Multistrada 1200S.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Everybody has an opinion. In my case the full Termi system on my '16 makes me sound like Carlos Checca winning his WSB championship on the 1098. It's truly awesome sounding and the race flash removed any trace of a +/- 5k torque dip.

When I got my '16 MTS at the end of April it made my '15 GS redundant so I turned it into a full-on touring bike, complete with Adventure top loading bags, etc. Next week I'm getting a '15 GSA with only 3300 miles (My GS has 32,000). By the way, my Multi in less than six months now has 7500 wonderful, thrilling comfortable (thanks in part to a Russell Day Long saddle) miles. What a combo, a GS for touring and my Multi for canyons and mountains. I'm a lucky dude!

·
Registered
371 Posts
The Bosch semi-active suspension on the SuperDuke 1290 GT is likely to be a fairly even match for Multistrada 1200S.
I've read a few reports recently that the GT's suspension is not as well sorted as it should be. Here's the only quote I could find in the 30 seconds I had to look...

Cycle World said:
The GT, and its wonderfully stiff suspension, struggled quite a bit in the bumpy stuff, but hid its size well in anything tight. Switching to the street and comfort settings didn’t help to soak up road bumps much either, turning it more into somewhat of a springboard. Once we hit smoother and more open pavement, the big Duke began to shine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everybody has an opinion. In my case the full Termi system on my '16 makes me sound like Carlos Checca winning his WSB championship on the 1098. It's truly awesome sounding and the race flash removed any trace of a +/- 5k torque dip.

When I got my '16 MTS at the end of April it made my '15 GS redundant so I turned it into a full-on touring bike, complete with Adventure top loading bags, etc. Next week I'm getting a '15 GSA with only 3300 miles (My GS has 32,000). By the way, my Multi in less than six months now has 7500 wonderful, thrilling comfortable (thanks in part to a Russell Day Long saddle) miles. What a combo, a GS for touring and my Multi for canyons and mountains. I'm a lucky dude!

Well that makes 2 of us as I can afford to keep my 848SF while still switching up to a new multi.

Your changing my mind regarding getting Termi off the bat. Now back to leaning towards it again.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts