Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I may be finally buying one of dream bikes next weekend.

I am close to pulling the pin on this streetfighter s next weekend. Before I make the drive to have a look is there any questions I should ask? In person what are the key items to check, this will be my first second hand bike purchase, only bought new previously but obviously cannot with this.

Link: 2012 Ducati Streetfighter S

Bike actually has 21,000km on it (I have negotiated price). Is there anything that jumps out as a not to buy?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi,
I may be finally buying one of dream bikes next weekend.

I am close to pulling the pin on this streetfighter s next weekend. Before I make the drive to have a look is there any questions I should ask? In person what are the key items to check, this will be my first second hand bike purchase, only bought new previously but obviously cannot with this.

Link: 2012 Ducati Streetfighter S

Bike actually has 21,000km on it (I have negotiated price). Is there anything that jumps out as a not to buy?
What are you looking to pay for this? The advertised price can't be right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is rather cheap for a 2012 SFS in Australia, is it an import or has it been crashed?
Must be one or the other, the id tag is usually riveted onto the frame on the right side, at least for Australian delivered sf's.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Some photo's show Termi's, others stock pipes? Has fueling been sorted out?

The 2nd valve check coming up soon?

If asking 17k (in my market in Arizona) would be outrageous. Even 13k is too much for a bike with that many miles, I'm not sure in your market how these prices translate.

Good looking bike.

·
Bon Vivant
11,453 Posts
The only universal issues with streetfighters are the swelling tanks and poor fueling due to a crappy OE map. Both the Termi map and the stock map work poorly on the SF. You can fix it yourself with a tune from tuneboy and others. But dont get a flash that just rewrites the Termi map, that does you no good. If the bike has a custom map already that's worth a bump in price.

If you dont have ethanol in your gas in your country then you dont have to worry about the swelling tank.

In general Streetfighters have proven to be solid trouble-free bikes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Some photo's show Termi's, others stock pipes? Has fueling been sorted out?

The 2nd valve check coming up soon?

If asking 17k (in my market in Arizona) would be outrageous. Even 13k is too much for a bike with that many miles, I'm not sure in your market how these prices translate.

Good looking bike.
Aussie dollars mate. $13k here is like $9k in your money.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is rather cheap for a 2012 SFS in Australia, is it an import or has it been crashed?
Must be one or the other, the id tag is usually riveted onto the frame on the right side, at least for Australian delivered sf's.
Should have vin and image of compliance plate tonight so will wait and see what turns up. As for crashing, seller cliams it has never been dropped or crashed. It's been for sale for 6 months and rego is about to run out.

The only universal issues with streetfighters are the swelling tanks and poor fueling due to a crappy OE map. Both the Termi map and the stock map work poorly on the SF. You can fix it yourself with a tune from tuneboy and others. But dont get a flash that just rewrites the Termi map, that does you no good. If the bike has a custom map already that's worth a bump in price.

If you dont have ethanol in your gas in your country then you dont have to worry about the swelling tank.

In general Streetfighters have proven to be solid trouble-free bikes.
No one generally uses ethanol here as it is only in the cheapest fuel or e80.

·
Bon Vivant
11,453 Posts
Another issue is the in-tank fuel line popping off. This is easily fixable but could leave you stranded on the side of the road.

Yeah this has happened to a few guys on here but the op is asking for things to look out for when checking it over before the sale. Thats not going to be an issue on a bike that's running. There are a ton of things to learn about the SF. and I'd wager that 99% of it can be found in the FAQ sticky at the top of this section. To anyone who wants to understand the ins and outs of the SF I'd recommend they spend a few hours reading the FAQ.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To answer this question, it is an import.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts