Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...I'm new to the forum and I'm interested in buying a Monster as a first bike. I know I want a 600cc model, as I'm just learning to ride. I have been involved in motorsports on the car end of the spectrum and have always wanted to learn to ride. My question for all of you is, what should I look for as far as a used Monster goes? What are some common problems that I may encounter? I have about $4000 to spend, but would like to keep some of that money aside for maintenance and any replacement parts I may need right off the bat. Please excuse my lack of knowledge about these bikes...(I'm new to the two wheel world ;) ). Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you have to offer and I'm looking forward to posting on these forums and learning as much as I can so I can make an educated decision!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the vertical cylinders have been known to blow a base gasket. Check with the owner and see if that has happened and if it has, if they have the service records from having it replaced.

Belts - need to be changed out every 2 years or 12k miles, reciepts should be enough on this from service.

valves, should be checked at 600 and 6,000 miles, and every 6k miles thereafter (or 12k, depends on the owner/dealer/mechanic recomendations). Service reciepts should be enough here as well.

That's off of the top of my head. To the best of my knowledge, the air cooled ducs don't have any specific issues other than the base gasket issue.

Anyone care to add?

·
Registered
403 Posts
What Jan said. Service records are important because the frequent and expensive valve checks are the one real drawback to Ducati ownership. They aren't terrible, but if a bike is at say, 12,000 miles, and hasn't yet had it's 12K service, you could easily be looking at $500+ dollars for valve check/adjust and replacement of belts. So, you'd want to consider that as a significant part of purchase negotiations.

Whatever bike you buy, be sure to budget in some money to buy the minimal amount of quality safety gear. A $99 helmet and nothing else will not the result in the most enjoyable way to start your love affair with motorcycling. Decent gear makes the ride more comfortable, safer, and therefore more enjoyable. I would budget $250 for a jacket, $175 for a helmet, and $75 for gloves at an absolute bare minimum (can be done slightly cheaper with some wise decisions and careful price shopping). It's easy to loose sight of the real world budget when you are fascinated with a shiny bike that you want, but tack that $500 onto whatever fees, taxes, and insurance as your price of admission to the sport. And take the MSF course if you haven't already. It's a really cheap way of getting some real world time on a bike. It's amazing how one weekend on a beat up little parking lot bike can teach you about what motorcycling is all about. And it will start you into the sport with the right frame of mind.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
after getting hit in the chin by a bird yesterday (wearing my helmet) I can't see who in their right mind wouldn't wear a helmet...lol

rocks hurt too

:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone...I am looking into motorcycle safety courses in my area, as well as quality saftey gear. Arai helmet, Alpinestars jacket and gloves will definitely be included in my riding experience. I will be sure to check on those problems when I look at some Monsters this week. Anyone in the Tri-State area have one for sale? :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts