Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I'm new here. I am hoping to buy a Hypermotard sometime in the future. I rode one once and after that I knew I had to have one. My questions are, for the owners with the large tank from Ca Cycleworks, is it worth it to get the tank? Also how do you all like the wind screen? Does it make a difference? Thank you for any answers.
Edit: Sorry for the miss use of words, I am hoping to buy a Hyper. If all goes as planed then some time early next year I would buy one. So we will see if it goes as planed.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i bought a standard earlier this year after having many different sports bikes and i think that it is the best bike that i ever owned. i haven't got any extras on the bike but i have got 55 mpg and as far as i am concerned i need a rest after 120 miles. i do have a screen on and think it is a great job and a dp gel seat which is quite comfy. It all depends what you want the bike for. If you are looking for high speed then this is not the bike for you. If you are looking for plenty of toughe down low, a bike that is good handleing, good brakes, stylish looks, a bike that is good for long runs, reliable then the hyper is the bike for you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stay on the maintenance and you should be pretty good with this motor, its pretty reliable as long as you don't beat the hell out of it every day.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
dont worry about getn the gastank its way to much fuel the capacity it has is plenty.stock you will get 110 to 120 out of a tank with add ons like exhaust,ecu,power commander,cams,pistons it goes down hill from there i have everything stated plus duc shop pods and my light goes on at 98 miles.by all means this is not a cross country bike but you can easily do 300 miles in a day and still want more.moral of the story its a great bike and especially u said u ride motorcross which i do as well this bike lets you ride the street with a mx feel without to much transition to get back on you mxr.hope this help

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
I didn't get plenty of mileage out of the stock tank - the CA one is fantastic and a great addition to an already great bike. Is it necessary? It was for me.

I've got the Shift Tech CF screen and it works but I'm also 6'4" so nothing is going to be total protection. It definitely helps with the air flow.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Perfect street bike for an MXer/off road racer!

With mods mine goes 90+ miles before the fuel light. I now have a couple nice 2L fuel containers I carry in a tail pack on trips for emergencies, but have not needed them. Did a couple 350+ mile days, no problem with comfort seat. Wind on the slab with no screen does not bother me for a tank of gas or so at 75 MPH, but may get old all day. I may get a screen for trips. You will be looking for better backroads anyway. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Thoughts

Hello all, I'm new here. I am looking to buy a Hypermotard sometime in the future. I rode one once and after that I knew I had to have one. My questions are, for the owners with the large tank from Ca Cycleworks, is it worth it to get the tank? Also how do you all like the wind screen? Does it make a difference? Thank you for any answers.
Where are you at, I am thinking of selling mine. 1100S with termi 2-1 and windscreen.

As for the tank, if I was back in Oregon or any of the other western states and riding in remote areas where service stations are few and far between, I would get the large tank. I always seem to get +100 miles on a tank and usually have no problems getting a fill up before I start running on fumes.

The windscreen helps after 75mph. I am 6' 2" and the wind blast at speeds over 75mph is noticeable and the screen does do a good job at reducing the wind blast on my chest. Note, this is only really an issue when running on the interstate.

The Hyper is a very fun bike to ride. The blend of dirt bike riding position and sport bike cornering and acceleration make it a great all purpose bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
fuel containers

GMP do you have a link to the fuel containers you carry? I frequently ride on remote forest roads in oregon and am always worried about fuel range. i haven't decided if i am going to install a large tank as i want to give the strada aperta a look before sinking more money into upgrades.

love the hyper. fantastic bike. absolutely wonderful for tight back roads.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Hyper with Ca Cycleworks Tank

My questions are, for the owners with the large tank from Ca Cycleworks, is it worth it to get the tank?
I have a 2008 Hyper with the Ca Cycleworks tank.
While I think the tank is great, I have decided to remove it and reinstall the stock one. Here's the story:

The larger tank is wonderful. I get 45 MPG, so, I know I have at least 250-270 miles per tank (I don't let it go that far, but, it's there). If that is something you need, then it is totally worth the money. The advantages of the tank are that you have great range, it is not visible (bike looks stock unless you look closely to see the pod filters), and the extra weight is nicely placed/distributed and barely perceptible. The only "disadvantage" is that there is a slight intake noise from the pod filters upon starting the bike (a small price one pays for double range).

The folks I ride with routinely stop for gas every ~100 miles, so, even though the tank has been great, I have realized I don't need to be carrying around the extra gas/weight. Yes, the bike is already very "slim" on weight, but, I'm not a person of large stature, so, I have decided to remove it.

(As an aside, shameless plug: my tank ad is in the classified forum:)).

·
Registered
605 Posts
testa,

Here you go:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm...oduct_Code=1624547&Category_Code=R1150GSADV-A

These are good, a plastic item made in Germany not China imagine that! TUV approved just not DOT here in the US. I had 2 in a Joe Rocket Space Pack tail bag with a lot of room to spare. I put them in a heavy industrial ziplock bag for insurance but it didn't even smell after a 700 mile weekend. Carry a small funnel for refilling them if needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As much as I would love that bike, I'm not quite ready to buy one just yet. Thank you for putting it out there. And thank you all for the comments. I think I will get the bike and ride with the stock tank and see how it works for me.
Where are you at, I am thinking of selling mine. 1100S with termi 2-1 and windscreen.

As for the tank, if I was back in Oregon or any of the other western states and riding in remote areas where service stations are few and far between, I would get the large tank. I always seem to get +100 miles on a tank and usually have no problems getting a fill up before I start running on fumes.

The windscreen helps after 75mph. I am 6' 2" and the wind blast at speeds over 75mph is noticeable and the screen does do a good job at reducing the wind blast on my chest. Note, this is only really an issue when running on the interstate.

The Hyper is a very fun bike to ride. The blend of dirt bike riding position and sport bike cornering and acceleration make it a great all purpose bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks gmp. i ordered 3. they look excellent, perfect for extending the range of the hyper still wearing a stock tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts