Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Um, new plastic usually means the old plastic is in teenie tiny pieces somewhere.....the pride of rapping it completely out to 172mph might impress a 20 year old...but imagine the life of that motor...The carbon nose and the wrong color red body makes me dizzy in a bad way... and the rust on the windscreen bolts means it probably lived outside...water don't get there much if you know what I mean. The zip tie on the license plate frame just shouts attention to detail too....

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want a track bike you can dump and not pay too much for....that is one direction, if you want something that you can ride, be proud of and occasionally sneak in the house to show of, that is another direction...

Hold out for what you want, not just what you can find. you will be happier in the long run. Shipping a bike cross country is only about $500 from a reputable shipper so cast a wider net.

Good Luck...and my $.02....avoid that one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Um, new plastic usually means the old plastic is in teenie tiny pieces somewhere.....the pride of rapping it completely out to 172mph might impress a 20 year old...but imagine the life of that motor...The carbon nose and the wrong color red body makes me dizzy in a bad way... and the rust on the windscreen bolts means it probably lived outside...water don't get there much if you know what I mean. The zip tie on the license plate frame just shouts attention to detail too....

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want a track bike you can dump and not pay too much for....that is one direction, if you want something that you can ride, be proud of and occasionally sneak in the house to show of, that is another direction...

Hold out for what you want, not just what you can find. you will be happier in the long run. Shipping a bike cross country is only about $500 from a reputable shipper so cast a wider net.

I didnt notice half of that. I think i got too excited about the price. Youre right that ones out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Boston has a few more miles but looks to be the better bike. Denver is nice, but the nose SP sticker would have to go! LOL. I think that Boston is more tastefully appointed and if he as all of the stock parts, I would put my wood behind that arrow and give him a call. If the one in Boston was close to me, I would actually go look at it. BUT GOD, I do not need another one....LOL. Heck, the Ohlins steering damper is worth $300 alone on the Boston bike and I do not care for the integrated blinkers and blinker delete air runners on the Denver bike....but I am picky...LOL

·
Registered
364 Posts

Not to mention the safety wire on the ft end that’s in places you only do for race purposes or if you have the means, time and knowledge to do so, just to look like a cool kid :surprise:

But like you said; if you want a track bike, it’s ready and waiting, and probably a damn fine bike for that. If you want a street bike you really don’t have to do much too, probably not so much.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Denver bike looks nice (other than the white nose) and has probably never seen the rev limiter hit in its life.

The Boston bike has a lot of nice goodies.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
A 998 will be quite a bit more powerful than a 916. And then there will probably be a good size price difference between a 916 and 998. A 998 *shouldn’t* have flaky rockers (though early 916s shouldn’t have this issue either). 20k miles may appear to be a lot on the 916, but if there is documentation, then I wouldn’t be swayed. I just clicked over 20k myself on my 996.

There are other things to be aware of, like single phase electrical systems on early 916s, flaky rockers on 996s, etc. if you are prepared, they are mechanical art, and they are extremely rewarding to ride.

Best of luck in your search! I hope you get one soon.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have a 998 I am selling pm me. Where are you located?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. The boston bike fits what i was looking for. Its a little more than i wanted i to spend, but its a nice well sorted machine. I have agreed to terms with the seller and will hopefully have it in my garage in the next week or 2.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help. The boston bike fits what i was looking for. Its a little more than i wanted i to spend, but its a nice well sorted machine. I have agreed to terms with the seller and will hopefully have it in my garage in the next week or 2.
Sweet! You picked bachelorette number #1!!!!!!! That is a nice bike. Make sure to try and get spare wheels and other parts, you will be glad you have them over the years.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I’m sure you have butterflies. Good luck sleeping for the next week. ??

·
Registered
54 Posts
How long they last

Hi, my 916 has been in my ownership for over ten years. In that time I have covered over 40 thousand miles and kept a blog about the running. I bought the bike with 12k on the clock. As people have mentioned I think you have to guide your buying on the cost and what work you want to do. A well maintained bike will last if it is looked after. If it is left and neglected then maybe more work will be needed. Rubbers perish, bearings need replacing, wiring has issues. etc There is lots of help on the forums and spare parts. I hope you find one that you will like.
Vinnychoff

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m sure you have butterflies. Good luck sleeping for the next week. ??
Im excited for sure. I like buying local bikes much better because i dont have to wait, i can just go get it. I can be pretty impatient. At least i have other bikes to play with while i wait

1 - 20 of 28 Posts