Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya, i signed up for your forums here to hopefully get some good answers..

I am looking at a 1998 superbike 748.. the bike has 42k (no that is not a typo)on it and has a 916 motor installed by the local ducati dealer here in denver the 916 motor has 13k on it.... the owner has all of the maint records and the bike is in really good shape. he has owned it since 1999. i was wondering what i should offer him for the bike because of the high miles.

the bike has the cast lightweigh marchesinis on it and ducati racing carbon fiber body kit. the bike was wrecked in 1999 and he has the pictures and the origional plastic from the accident. I was going to go ride the bike and see how it rides but what should I offer the guy for the bike.. he is asking 5500 bucks. but i know he is flexible.

thank you for your time

·
Registered
284 Posts
Carbon is probably worth somewhere around $1000 and the rims close to the same...so $3500 for a bike...not bad at all. I'd offer him $5000 for it, if it rides straight, with clean paperwork...but that's just me, and I'm a sucker for black carbon bodywork and magnesium wheels. Great looking bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
colorado,

As a yardstick, I just purchased a stock 2000 748 with 4100 miles for $6k. The bike has a been a garage bunny and has a clean title. It was bought new in late 2004 and still has a few months of the Ducati warranty left. It depends on what you want - if you want a stock machine you could probably find a better deal. If you want a hot rod that doesn't look too bad.

-Stephen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah the bike is nice.... all of the superbikes i have looked at around here are about 8k. the guy seems like a docile type he bike soed not have any lockwire on it and I am a sucker for carbon aswell.... I also like the wheels. so realistically the bike is about 3.5k and the extras would be 1.5k, so i'll offer him 4500 for it, also checking to see if the belts have been done.

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
does the bike have a salvage title from the "accident"? if so, it will be harder to sell, if you do decide to sell it later on. i'd ask the dealer to gie you a 90-day shop warranty on the bike and knock off some more $$ if it does have a salvage title.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i find out that it has a salvage title, what should i offer him for the bike (if everything is still good)

what kind of depreciation should i take into account for the bike with a salvage title.

thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oohh yeah and it is an individual seller... i was thinking about taking it to a dealer and have them do an inspection on the bike before final purchase.

colorado is an active salvage title state, you can still ride on a salvage title, i know states like texas wash titles...

this guy has owned the bike since 1999 and supposedly has a complete history...we will see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts