Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lookin at the Sport 1000S for a while now-even took a dealer ride-not the S though. I really like that retro look-cafe fairing and the simplicity of the aircooled DS twin. Too late to the party for a new PS model, but a red S is making me drool. So, whats all this stuff about "spreading tanks"?? The "tank" is covered in I guess plastic-didn't knock like metal-so guessing the real tank in underthere. Was that just an early mdl thing. Presently have a 999 and don't find her uncomfortable-so whats the S like?? Like to hear from owners and generally pros and cons.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Not too late for a PS, you can still find the few that are left that would be considered "new purchase", so with warranty. I had mine out on the track yesterday and I will say that they are a bit shaky (fairings, headlights, etc.vibrate like mad, probably would be nice to strip some of this stuff off before track use.) once you get up to about 120mph. Man, they are the stuff for eating up backroads though. And you just can't beat the cool factor of any of the SC series and especially the S and PS models. I think something is in the works, according to my dealer, for the tank spread issue.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I love my S, it is certainly not like your 999, but a different sort of beast.

I have had 0 problems so far (knock wood) -- no tank spread etc. and it has been fun to tweak and mod here and there.

Will probably get to the suspension, add alpina tubeless, and staintunes when I finally get another bonus, but even stock, it is a good ride -- then again, I am not trying to push the limits of canyon carving, but I can have a lot of fun. It all depends on what you want to get out of the bike and what you want to put into it.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Find a PS if you like the fairing - you'll have a bike with the suspension already sorted. The tank is plastic, if it spreads you'll get it replaced under warranty. Comfort is relative, most learn to live with it. I find my 07 biposto quite comfortable, but they have higher bars.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Do not let the hoopla about spreading tanks stop you from getting one of the coolest bikes around. There is so much right about the bike that the tank is a mere short term issue that Ducati takes care of anyway. You're right about the simplicity. Get on!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Find a PS if you like the fairing - you'll have a bike with the suspension already sorted. The tank is plastic, if it spreads you'll get it replaced under warranty. Comfort is relative, most learn to live with it. I find my 07 biposto quite comfortable, but they have higher bars.
+1 on the PS and the suspension... otherwise, coming off a 999 you won't stand for the stock forks of an S or biposto... it just sucks. then you're looking at switching forks... etc... which many of us have done... but if you've got the ohlins out of the gate it's one expensive mod that you don't have to do.

compared to a modern superbike, I'd say the great thing about the SC is that the fun zone starts at 40mph, whereas it starts at 80mph with a superbike. But yeah, anything over 120 for more than a few moments is unbearable.

the motor is a tank, though.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Buy an S replace the forks with fully adjustable showas or Ohlins, replace the steering damper with Ohlins, replace the tyres with 2CT's or similar and you will have a machine that not only attracts a LOT of attention but handles like it's on rails :yeah:

·
Registered
665 Posts
I wish all these S / PSLE inquiries would find their graves...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts