Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the shop DVD regarding the resetting throttle position sensor: "This procedure must precede the first start-up of the vehicle after replacement of the throttle body, the throttle position sensor, the ECU or the wiring."

Can anyone make a reasonable case why it would need to be reset if ONLY the wiring is being replaced? I toasted my wiring harness recently and want to install the used one I bought on Flea-bay. Should I be worried? Obviously I don't have the DDS tester...

It seems to me if the juice is off, then the ECU and the TPS are inert and replacing the wiring should be inconsequential.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
The TPS is most probably a variable resistor ... think something like a volume control on your stereo.

The value that is measured by the ECU is going to be affected by the resistance of the wiring, so this is why they would recommend a reset of the TPS after replacing the wiring harness.

I don't know how much effect it really has if you don't to a TPS reset ... I have just bought a second hand DP ECU, but having installed it yet, but I am wondering the same thing.

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I'm committed to going forward and don't really think one harness versus the other will make a gnat's worth of difference, but your observation does make sense. Especially in light of Ducati's "Mother Ship" mentality...

I'll post to let you know if anything else melts down after I do the swap.:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have found that any change to the wiring to the TPS such as adding a power commander or changing the harness will cause the TPS to be off. When I plug into DDS and look at the screen that shows me the current status of all of the sensors and switches, the throttle "off" indication says "on" most of the time. This means the TPS thinks you are twisting the throttle a bit when it is actually closed. If it is not reset, you will have a goofy idle and probably a stalling problem.
Buy VDST, it works really well, it is only about $500.00, and it will let you set your TPS and your trim as well as see what all the sensors and switches are doing.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip. Question: At the manufacturer's website, they list two systems for the GT1000, "Magneti Marelli IAW 59M" & "Magneti Marelli IAW 5AM". Any suggestions for where to look for the specific system that's on my particular GT?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts