Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

just joined up and I am looking to get information on the purchase of a multistrada! I recently test rode a Super Duke GT and I came away disappointed in a couple of things. One, in the way that it makes it's power and it does not like to loaf around and 2, the vibes. In no way is that bike smooth...or as smooth as it should be for what it is (or the cost). Even at the 5K RPM sweet spot it was still pretty rough. Kind of a deal breaker for me. This weekend I am going to try and test ride a Multi. I have access to 3 different ones....A used 2015 in white that has 7500 miles, a left over new 17 and possibly an 18. Might even consider a 950.

Regarding the 2015: Is the multi a case of buy the newest you can afford from a reliability standpoint? I know 15 was the first year for DVT and other changes....they also seem to have a fair share of issues but is it worth pursuing for the right price? Is overall reliability good?

2017: I may be most interested in this one if I can get a good left over price. Or, are the differences of the 18 worth pursuing?

My goal is to have a fun, good handling, reliable and capable sport tourer to join my Thruxton R.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Hey all,

just joined up and I am looking to get information on the purchase of a multistrada! I recently test rode a Super Duke GT and I came away disappointed in a couple of things. One, in the way that it makes it's power and it does not like to loaf around and 2, the vibes. In no way is that bike smooth...or as smooth as it should be for what it is (or the cost). Even at the 5K RPM sweet spot it was still pretty rough. Kind of a deal breaker for me. This weekend I am going to try and test ride a Multi. I have access to 3 different ones....A used 2015 in white that has 7500 miles, a left over new 17 and possibly an 18. Might even consider a 950.

Regarding the 2015: Is the multi a case of buy the newest you can afford from a reliability standpoint? I know 15 was the first year for DVT and other changes....they also seem to have a fair share of issues but is it worth pursuing for the right price? Is overall reliability good?

2017: I may be most interested in this one if I can get a good left over price. Or, are the differences of the 18 worth pursuing?

My goal is to have a fun, good handling, reliable and capable sport tourer to join my Thruxton R.
Lots of threads about the dvt multi's - they're all the same bike but with some bug fixes over the three years. All those things should have been fixed even on the 15's (through dealer service) but you can find a very comprehensive list to talk to the sellers about if you do some searching here. Or just buy a 17 or 18 and call it good. Given that you're concerned with smoothness you might like the 1260 over the 1200 enough to pay the new car premium... but the Duc's are also twins and do have twin motor characteristics (some low frequency vib's at low rpm's). You might want to look at a one of the Japanese ST bikes like the FJ if the Multi is also too vibey for you.

Reactions: tzoykas and CRFan1

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lots of threads about the dvt multi's - they're all the same bike but with some bug fixes over the three years. All those things should have been fixed even on the 15's (through dealer service) but you can find a very comprehensive list to talk to the sellers about if you do some searching here. Or just buy a 17 or 18 and call it good. Given that you're concerned with smoothness you might like the 1260 over the 1200 enough to pay the new car premium... but the Duc's are also twins and do have twin motor characteristics (some low frequency vib's at low rpm's). You might want to look at a one of the Japanese ST bikes like the FJ if the Multi is also too vibey for you.
Thanks for the information that does help. I should clarify about the vibes. I am generally not vibe sensitive and have ridden my share of twins , including ducatis. I like the v-twin vibe as its a low frequency pulse and it does not bother me. My thruxton has a similar pulse and I love it. That being said, the SDGT was a whole nuther animal, especially in the foot pegs. Maybe it would smooth out for break in...not sure. I am also considering a Tracer 900GT but I honestly want something with character and I have not yet owned a Duc. The Multi seems like a perfect bike for me on paper based on what I want......a sport tourer that is fun to ride, not overly heavy and handles well. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd skip testing 950, I really don't know what they were shooting for when they decided to build that bike. There's way too many creature comforts & features that are left off that are standard on the 1200/1260.
Yeah, the more I look at it the more you are correct.....:|

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Having ridden a SDGT for a year and an older Multi for many years, I cant say the Multi is less vibey. The DVT might be less so, but the test ride I had didnt seem so. I will say, the Multi is a superior bike. The KTM isn't a finished product IMO. Never mind the reliability issues I've had.

Reactions: CRFan1

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having ridden a SDGT for a year and an older Multi for many years, I cant say the Multi is less vibey. The DVT might be less so, but the test ride I had didnt seem so. I will say, the Multi is a superior bike. The KTM isn't a finished product IMO. Never mind the reliability issues I've had.
Thanks...yeah I have read a lot of horror stories on the SDGT and it worries me that sales are so low that it may not be supported well in the U.S. Hoping I can get a test ride on the multi this weekend. If the vibes are anything like my friends 1098 It won't be an issue at all (again, I am not vibe sensitive but I appreciate a refined bike). The V-Twin vibe is awesome but the SDGT just feels really different to me.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Given the complaints you stated, you should give the 1260 a ride. The new bike isn't a revolutionary leap forward, but one of the things it is better at is low RPM fueling and power delivery.

The 2018s have also been in the showroom since March, so the gotta-have-it-now premium should be past. I bet you could find a dealer willing to sell you one for a few thousand off MSRP if you're willing to travel/ship the bike.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Given the complaints you stated, you should give the 1260 a ride. The new bike isn't a revolutionary leap forward, but one of the things it is better at is low RPM fueling and power delivery.

The 2018s have also been in the showroom since March, so the gotta-have-it-now premium should be past. I bet you could find a dealer willing to sell you one for a few thousand off MSRP if you're willing to travel/ship the bike.
That's what I am hoping and my dealer even has a left over 17 for possibly an even better deal! :wink2:>:)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'd skip testing 950, I really don't know what they were shooting for when they decided to build that bike. There's way too many creature comforts & features that are left off that are standard on the 1200/1260.
The 950, from what I've heard (I have not ridden one yet although I'd love to) is great for what it is, an on-off road bike. It is NOT designed primarily as a long distance touring bike, nor is it a superslab commuter, nor a superbike-killing canyon carver. Having taken my 1100S off-road a few times on extended adventures, I will say that it's just not designed to do any kind of terrain other than flat surfaces. The complete lack of guarding (engine, exhaust, CF front fender) coupled with a 17" front wheel makes for a less-than-stellar handing bike in any type of loose or soft material, and those body panels... even the little ones... are really expensive to replace.

The suspension on the multis is GREAT, and the mods they've done on the 950 Enduro make it totally rideable off-road, with a really good compromise of on-road handling to get you there on the bike instead of in the back of a pickup. I imagine they figured their target market would be willing to sacrifice cornering ABS and huge color dash in exchange for the cost savings, time will tell if this guess pays off.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
623 Posts
I rode a 950 before settling on the 1260, IMO the biggest problem is that it rides the same size as it's bigger brother. It needed to be a smaller bike to make sense, something to compete with the wee-stroms and 790 Dukes of the world, and it's not that, either in size or in price. I'm sure it's a wonderful bike, but I think it missed the market.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
The 950 is too close to the hperstrada. I never understood why Ducati made the 950.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I rode a 950 before settling on the 1260, IMO the biggest problem is that it rides the same size as it's bigger brother. It needed to be a smaller bike to make sense, something to compete with the wee-stroms and 790 Dukes of the world, and it's not that, either in size or in price. I'm sure it's a wonderful bike, but I think it missed the market.
I don't disagree, my 1100 at 430 lbs with huge fuel tank is not ideal when the terrain gets tricky, but hey KTM has made boodles of money selling "Adventure" bikes with 19" front wheels from 990cc's on up to 1290cc's today. THAT is the competition...

For some reason I can't explain, people (in particular North American males) seem to think bigger is better in all cases. Personally I wish Ducati still made bikes in the 600cc range but clearly all motorcycles, even ones designed for dirt, need to be north of 120hp or your penis will shrink when you ride it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It's a function of the distances many of us have to travel to get anywhere, at least that's my take on the issue. I can enjoy the hell out of putting around city streets on a 250/300 Ninja with <20HP, but want nothing to do with riding that bike on an interstate highway. For that task, which is so critical to using a bike as transportation in the US, I want a larger, more powerful ride. Even a light ADV bike like the Honda Africa Twin, doesn't have the power to really inspire confidence at American highway speeds. I don't know of any place else on earth where motorcycle touring brings to mind riding 500+ miles in a day at over 70MPH.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It's a function of the distances many of us have to travel to get anywhere, at least that's my take on the issue. I can enjoy the hell out of putting around city streets on a 250/300 Ninja with <20HP, but want nothing to do with riding that bike on an interstate highway. For that task, which is so critical to using a bike as transportation in the US, I want a larger, more powerful ride. Even a light ADV bike like the Honda Africa Twin, doesn't have the power to really inspire confidence at American highway speeds. I don't know of any place else on earth where motorcycle touring brings to mind riding 500+ miles in a day at over 70MPH.
Again, agree mostly. I'd say agree completely if the multi was built and marketed as a touring bike only. I own one. I think the Multi is as close to a swiss-army knife of bikes as any... the fact that I CAN ride some dirt on it, but also enjoy it at a racetrack, or accelerate to quickly pass a loaded semi B-train at 80mph fully loaded with passenger and luggage, says a lot right there. I guess I like the fact that Ducati has built a variant (the 950) that can still do all that, but with a bit more emphasis on dirt and less on multi-day 500+ mile rides (which it can still do comfortably with the right tires and possibly a sprocket change). I happen to live in an area where I can be on a forest service road heading up into the hills in 15 minutes, but everybody's needs/wants are different.

I do still question the need for ever-larger displacement and HP, really I don't think anyone can justify a "need" for 150hp in a touring bike if that's what you're doing with it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The 950, from what I've heard (I have not ridden one yet although I'd love to) is great for what it is, an on-off road bike. It is NOT designed primarily as a long distance touring bike, nor is it a superslab commuter, nor a superbike-killing canyon carver. Having taken my 1100S off-road a few times on extended adventures, I will say that it's just not designed to do any kind of terrain other than flat surfaces. The complete lack of guarding (engine, exhaust, CF front fender) coupled with a 17" front wheel makes for a less-than-stellar handing bike in any type of loose or soft material, and those body panels... even the little ones... are really expensive to replace.

The suspension on the multis is GREAT, and the mods they've done on the 950 Enduro make it totally rideable off-road, with a really good compromise of on-road handling to get you there on the bike instead of in the back of a pickup. I imagine they figured their target market would be willing to sacrifice cornering ABS and huge color dash in exchange for the cost savings, time will tell if this guess pays off.

Just my 2 cents
I don't think you understand...the 950 has no place at all. Everything you said the Multi already does fine. We didn't need a 950 version at nearly the same price you can get last year's model 1200/1260 at, lacking cruise control and quickshifter...the price doesn't reflect what the bike is. It shouldn't have been made.

·
Registered
899 Posts
CRfan, i have both the Multi and the 1290GT. Firstly my GT is very smooth, the engine gets better with age, mines now done 26,000kms and been faultless, my Multi 75,000kms. The GT really doesn't like the exhaust valve and CAT, I've removed mine, plus adding 2 teeth to the rear sprocket, these have really helped smoothing out the engine, my GT around town is fantastically smooth, beautiful fueling compared to my lumpy Multi (under 3000kms its dreadful). For me if i was choosing one of these two bikes, id make my choice based on the roads i ride, and whether I'm going to be 2up. Ok, country roads and back roads, the Multi is better with its long travel suspension, its also by a wide margin a better as a 2up bike. The GT gets better with age, the suspension gets better as it beds in, (wet or touring mode is pointless) only ride in street or sport mode, the 23 litre tank is great and can give you 400kms, Multi 300kms. If your more of a sports type rider and like fast good condition roads, the GT will smoke the Multi, rolls reversed on shit roads. The 1290 engine is a proven reliable engine, as for the electronic suspension, time will tell. The Multi's suspension is extremely good, and reliable. So for me, my Multi is my touring bike for 2up with the wife, and general back country riding, My GT1290 is for fanging it, racing with the mates, and solo touring on, the only problem I'm having with my GT is keeping somewhere near the speed limit, the thing halls ares, and deceptively fast. I like both bikes for differing reasons, but the Multi is in its 8th model year and is an extremely reliable great bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
I recently test rode a Super Duke GT and I came away disappointed in a couple of things. One, in the way that it makes it's power and it does not like to loaf around and 2, the vibes. In no way is that bike smooth...or as smooth as it should be for what it is (or the cost). Even at the 5K RPM sweet spot it was still pretty rough. Kind of a deal breaker for me..
With these comments, I'd say a Ducati is not for you, period.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CRfan, i have both the Multi and the 1290GT. Firstly my GT is very smooth, the engine gets better with age, mines now done 26,000kms and been faultless, my Multi 75,000kms. The GT really doesn't like the exhaust valve and CAT, I've removed mine, plus adding 2 teeth to the rear sprocket, these have really helped smoothing out the engine, my GT around town is fantastically smooth, beautiful fueling compared to my lumpy Multi (under 3000kms its dreadful). For me if i was choosing one of these two bikes, id make my choice based on the roads i ride, and whether I'm going to be 2up. Ok, country roads and back roads, the Multi is better with its long travel suspension, its also by a wide margin a better as a 2up bike. The GT gets better with age, the suspension gets better as it beds in, (wet or touring mode is pointless) only ride in street or sport mode, the 23 litre tank is great and can give you 400kms, Multi 300kms. If your more of a sports type rider and like fast good condition roads, the GT will smoke the Multi, rolls reversed on shit roads. The 1290 engine is a proven reliable engine, as for the electronic suspension, time will tell. The Multi's suspension is extremely good, and reliable. So for me, my Multi is my touring bike for 2up with the wife, and general back country riding, My GT1290 is for fanging it, racing with the mates, and solo touring on, the only problem I'm having with my GT is keeping somewhere near the speed limit, the thing halls ares, and deceptively fast. I like both bikes for differing reasons, but the Multi is in its 8th model year and is an extremely reliable great bike.

Great info. Dave thanks. I am going to test the SDGT again but I am also test riding a left over 17 multi this weekend. I am aware of the need to keep the revs up on these bikes and that does not bother me at all...I traded my 17 Tuono on the Thruxton, lol. The vibes on the GT are what kind of took me aback but I need to ride it again (and probably differently). The weird thing about the Gt is some people say they are smooth and some say they vibrate like hell. Differences in the motors when they are built? who knows.

Now, that being said I also think I need something with a longer travel suspension (like the multi or an adventure bike) because here in the Chicago area, our roads suck horribly and your advice is spot on. I realized the SDGT may be a bit more on the sporting side then I need.

Wolverine 1 that is not true at all. I have ridden many Ducati's that friends have owned and I get along with them just fine. In fact they are a blast to ride and I like the v-Twin thump. 90 degree Duc's feel completely different then the 75 degree 1290 twin.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Arrr, i have read your posts on the AF1 site in the Tuono V4 thread, i remember you selling your TV4 for the Triumph. Im on there often (too often) I traded my V4 for a Multi in 2013, best thing i did, the Multi is the longest owned bike I've had. I brought it at 18,000kms, now 75K. A good mate that has a 1000 Kawa race bike, 1290R KTM and a 1100TV4 factory, he sold his 2016 factory and brought a 2013 Multi, he loves his Multi, he is blown away by firstly how comfortable it is, secondly how well it handles for its weight, but mainly for how much fun it is to ride. He gets his bike gear on, heads to the shed with intentions of taking the 1290 out, but can't walk past the Multi, he's really enjoying riding an older bike, being that he's always brought new. Tell yo what, if you can find an early multi, say a 2012 Ohlins Touring or an S, or a Pikes Peak, try a test ride on one. Firstly your $ outlay will be far less, you could ride it for a year or two, if you fall for it, its a cheep outlay for a great bike, or you could trade it for a 1260 that has had its initial depreciation. the Multis are great all-round bikes, once you have owned one and enjoyed what they bring, i think you will find what your looking for in your riding enjoyment.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts