Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a set of Aux lights to my 2016 MTS, but I have some particular requirements. Any suggestions and feedback will be welcome.

I've already installed the Touratech/Ducati crash bars so I have a good place to mount the lights. I want a set of lights that has interchangeable lenses so I can run yellow lenses during the day and take them off at night if I need the extra light.

The primary purpose of the lights will be to make myself more visible to oncoming traffic and to my riding buddies in front of me when we're far apart. I don't need the Aux lights to light up the road; it's mostly to provide visibility. But extra illumination at night in the forests and desert would be appreciated.

I'm not concerned about dimming the lights or switching them on or off. I don't mind if they're on full blast when the bike is running.

I've been looking at the Denali lights and some other options but I'm confused by the various lens choices. The choice of lens affects how focused the beam is or how widely it's dispersed and I don't have a good sense which angle to choose.

Ease of installation would be a big plus but it's not the primary consideration.

I know some of you guys (I'm talking to you Enduro owners) must be running Aux lights. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just get a set of Baja Designs. S1s are the smallest lights but not un-bright. Most Baja lights have lenses you can swap as well as plastic caps that you snap on top with amber lenses as well. You can also go up to a larger light if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
I want to add a set of Aux lights to my 2016 MTS, but I have some particular requirements. Any suggestions and feedback will be welcome.

I've already installed the Touratech/Ducati crash bars so I have a good place to mount the lights. I want a set of lights that has interchangeable lenses so I can run yellow lenses during the day and take them off at night if I need the extra light.

The primary purpose of the lights will be to make myself more visible to oncoming traffic and to my riding buddies in front of me when we're far apart. I don't need the Aux lights to light up the road; it's mostly to provide visibility. But extra illumination at night in the forests and desert would be appreciated.

I'm not concerned about dimming the lights or switching them on or off. I don't mind if they're on full blast when the bike is running.

I've been looking at the Denali lights and some other options but I'm confused by the various lens choices. The choice of lens affects how focused the beam is or how widely it's dispersed and I don't have a good sense which angle to choose.

Ease of installation would be a big plus but it's not the primary consideration.

I know some of you guys (I'm talking to you Enduro owners) must be running Aux lights. Any help will be appreciated.
Denali, Twisted Throttle

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
I put Clearwaters on my ‘12 for the same reason: for cagers seeing me! They recommended their 800 lumen driving lights and they are ‘bright’. Guys do not like ridding in front of me because I look like an alien spaceship coming into land. I mounted them on Ducati’s factory radiator mount brackets. Which Clearwaters? Don’t remember, but their website will point you to which ones.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll also vote for the Baja Designs S1's. Make sure you get a good quality, water resistant handlebar mount switch. Most light packages come with a relay.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

I got the Baja Designs Squadron Pro kit which came highly recommended by a trusted source. I added amber lens covers and the Skeen dimmer. Hope to get it all installed next week.

The Squadron has more of an adventure bike look, but so does my bike. Baja Designs also makes smaller lights that are very bright and will accept amber snap-on lenses.

·
Registered
2019 Multistrada PP
99 Posts
Check out Diode dynamics ss3 pod lights. They look pretty awesome. Comes with interchangeable lens covers as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check the Givi aux lights as well. They have both an incandescent and a led option. Very good quality.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 1200
5 Posts
Hi, very usefull all the info I’m looking to buy the Baja design S1 set with the handlebar switch, I was just guessing if anyone here has them on, my multi is a 2017 and has no crash bars so I was checking up some mounting options and I’ve seen the altrider radiator mounts, any inputs on that set? Perhaps some photos.
The altrider mount are the following

·
Registered
387 Posts
I currently have the OEM Aux lights mounted onto my crash bars, which are anything but crash bars as it will do absolutely nothing to protect the bike from a drop. My question, how difficult would it be to replace them with an after market set of Aux lights. Wonder if it’s as easy as plug n play?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, I’ve ordered the altrider brackets since I’ve could not find another option to mount auxiliary lights without having crashbars.
Turns out the altrider brackets were meant to be used with a crashbar as well so I had to make some change on them in order to be able to mount the lights.
I fabricated an aluminum spacer and used a custom made inox bolt be able to mount the brackets on the triple clamp Making sure to have clearance all the way when turning left and right.

Hi, very usefull all the info I’m looking to buy the Baja design S1 set with the handlebar switch, I was just guessing if anyone here has them on, my multi is a 2017 and has no crash bars so I was checking up some mounting options and I’ve seen the altrider radiator mounts, any inputs on that set? Perhaps some photos.
The altrider mount are the following View attachment 988678

·
Registered
5 Posts
I currently have the OEM Aux lights mounted onto my crash bars, which are anything but crash bars as it will do absolutely nothing to protect the bike from a drop. My question, how difficult would it be to replace them with an after market set of Aux lights. Wonder if it’s as easy as plug n play?
Today I’ve mounted the Denali DM 2.0 tri-optic, the plugs are way to different from the oem plugs and they vary between the different brands, so I will guess that it’s not a plug and play, most of the auxiliary lights Comes with there own harness and switch for the handlebar so I believe you will not be able to use the button that you use with your oem lights.

·
Hammer Down
1,648 Posts
Topic is pretty well covered here but I’ll share my setup, albeit on a GS :sneaky:. This was taken a couple weekends ago on Back of the Dragon. The lights are by Clearwater. White ones are Erica’s (spread beam) and yellow are Darla’s (spot beam). Erica’s are on their lowest setting at 5%, the Darla’s may be at 30%.o_O

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
Im a huge VisionX fan, so I installed 2 VisionX Optimus round Halo 10w lights.

These things are great, since they have two options.
The "halo" ring can be used day or night and really does add visbility.
The main beam is at around 1500 REAL lumens in 6000K white and the spread is 15 degrees.
If you want more spread or a diffrent color, VisionX offers yellow, amber, blue and red covers. Each color/cover can be clear, Euro (combined long/wide), driving/fog or diffusion (superwide/short) spread.

(I´ve also upgraded the lowbeam to IPF compact H11 LED - IPF LED Head Light Bulb H11 6500K 301HLB2 12V / 24V combined 6500K 5000lm 301HLB 4951499018174 | eBay

Halo
20190528_160857.jpg

On
20190528_155652.jpg

Off
20200724_112651.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts