Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks-

I'm looking for some opinions in comparing the DU3240 and DU301.

Bike setup:
  1. Motowheels linear shock linkage and ride height rod
  2. 95% track time, 5% street time
  3. Still in mostly street trim, i.e. heavy
  4. Currently running the stock Showa shock with an Ohlins 100 spring on it and preload maxed out
  5. Still feels way too soft, squatting and extending on braking

I can find a new DU301 from Europe that will cost $1500+ and take more than a month to get to me.

...or...

I can get a used DU3240 from eBay for MUCH less and it will get to me much faster.

My understanding is that DU301 is a superior shock because it is triple adjustable, whereas the DU3240 is only low-speed compression/rebound with no high-speed adjustment. However, the DU3240 is already setup for the linear linkage that I have, and much more cost and time effective. Furthermore, I have a local Ohlins suspension guy that can re-valve the DU-3240 if that applies.

Is the DU301 worth the nearly 3x cost? Will the DU3240 be a significant improvement considering I already have the linear link and rod?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I've got a 999 S street bike and a 749 R track bike. Both have the stock Ohlins suspension front and rear. The front and rear suspension on both bikes has recently been rebuilt with fresh seals, new oil, and sprung for my weight. Sag, rebound, and compression have all been set to a base level by a pro.

In comparisons on the track, my impression is that the 749 R squats less than the 999 S when getting on the throttle out of corners. It could be that I'm running a bit more compression on the track bike, but I think that most of it is due to the linear link.

I've thought about the upgraded shock for both bikes, but have been advised by the guys that work on my bike not to bother. They've got a ton of experience racing these bikes, and they're opinion is that I won't feel the difference and that tire life won't be effected. IMO, the 749 R feels responsive and confident on edge, and feels planted and secure on the gas out of corners. Weight transfer front/back and back/front feels very controlled. So, for me, I'm happy with the stock Ohlins stuff.

Of course, I'm old and slow and someone faster might have different needs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you thoughts! What I'm hearing is that the 749R setup (DU3240 and Linear Linkage) should get things pretty close on the 999.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
You need to change the spring and get your shock revalved. A linear link needs at least a 2kg increase in spring over a street link. If your preload is cranked up now on the flat link then you don't have enough spring.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Xracer, Can you tell us the specifics of revalving for the linear link? I know I need a stiffer rear spring... I have a penske shock, currently a 550 lb spring I believe.

·
Registered
217 Posts
you cannot compare the 749R with a 999S - there is a difference in power, a 999 would stress a bit more the shock.

Last year i raced a 1098 with a TTX36 and a spring of 90, the bike had about 160 whp.
This year i upgraded the engine, 190 whp (dyno ed ten kate) and i needed a new spring of 100.

I still run the OEM linkeage, but looking forward for a linear linkage.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Xracer, Can you tell us the specifics of revalving for the linear link? I know I need a stiffer rear spring... I have a penske shock, currently a 550 lb spring I believe.
The shock needs to sent to someone that knows how to re-valve it to the spring rate that you use. And spring rate is measured on what you weigh AND which rocker you are using.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My approach was:
- Buy a 749r linear link, which nowadays will set you back around @$200-300
- Buy a DU301/DU510, which nowadays will set you back minimum of $650 and up
- Have said shock revalved etc. by Ohlins dealer which will set me back @$175 and the cost of new spring $???

So total cost well over $1000,-

Or you could just forget about the bling factor DU301/DU510 and buy a bog ass standard 749r shock (seen them around for same price as
999s/r OEM) and save yourself hundreds of $$ if it is the linear setup you are after.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Question for yourself. Is the cost worth what time you think you MAY gain. Stock is more then good enough for most track day riders.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the link and adjuster, all I need is a spring, or two, $95 each and revalve if its necessary. Penske doesnt have any info, website spring rate chart doesnt list 749r
im hoping to gain a better feeling. I can replace the spring myself so its tempting to just go up two springs and try it as Im just a trackday rider right?

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
569 Posts
Hmmmmm, can't help thinking the OP is overcomplicating this. I mean, we all like nice stuff but realistically you have to ask yourself "Am I good enough to exploit the slight difference in potential performance the triple clicker might give?" The key word is potential, because at the end of the day you and your tech have to be good enough to extract that difference in performance.

I mean you are using the bike on the road and doing trackdays, not competing for a national championship, and the thing (like mine) is not the latest and greatest so why sweat about a possible tenth of a second here or there?

Bottom line, like most of us, you could spend a motza on Chaz Davies WSB bike and you'll still be passed by a kid on a 4 year old R6.

And what about the pointy end of the bike? No talk of that yet. Chances are you could fit 749R Ohlins front and rear for the price of the triple clicker...and it would be a noticeably better bike for it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sorry if I jacked the thread hellfyre, thought you may also be interested in my questions.
I agree about the linear setup not being super necessary, or the triple click shock...
I weigh 190 without gear xracer, thanks

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Sorry if I jacked the thread hellfyre, thought you may also be interested in my questions.
I agree about the linear setup not being super necessary, or the triple click shock...
I weigh 190 without gear xracer, thanks
If you can try a 9kg spring on the stock setup and crank up the comp and rebound a few clicks. This keeps the back end up and steers the front a little quicker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts