Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not so much looking for looks but wanted to see who owns what and what their opinoin is of them. Ive been looking at a few online and they all seem the same.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I have what I believe are DP rearsets on my Bayliss 998 (#315). They were put on by the original owner so I don't really know for sure that they are DP's. Mine aren't adjustable enough IMHO. The quality of material is very good. My son has some Gilles rearsets on his R6 and they are incredible quality and very adjustable. He's a Yamaha/Suzuki Service Mgr. and knows his stuff. I have no real problems with mine so have no reason to shop at this point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the DP rearsets on my 998 and I am very happy with them- the quality is really good and I am happy with the range of adjustment. I prefer their appearance to some of the other rearsets that have a grid of locating holes (though those probably have more range of adjustment). My bike is set up for GP/reverse shifting FWIW, I don't know how that impacts the range of adjustment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good input. Ive looked at the giles in the past and liked them. I think its difficult with rearsets is that alot of shops, particularly in my area dont have them in person and you have to go by pics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive never tried GP shifting but have thought about it quite a bit. I am just not sure it would transfer when I am on dirtbikes or quads. I know the topic has been covered but since you have a Bayliss too. :) I might as well ask your opinoin of it and how it changed your riding. I know that Schwantz and Mladin both use standard shift so I use that to justify to myself not to switch.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I don't think there's any reason to change to GP if you're a street rider. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My rearsets look a lot like the motowheels MW Billet Rear Sets: 748-998 (perhaps they are? the previous owner of my bike invested some $ there :D ...)

I agree with Bruce-

my bike arrived set up for GP shift, I was pretty eager to ride it and though I did have the neccesary hardware, I did not change it to conventional.

I think the shifting is a cleaner and crisper (due to direct linkage) and now I am used to it and like it, but I would NOT go to GP shift without good reason, it took me a good while to burn reverse pattern into my muscle memory and now when I ride a bike with a conventional shift pattern, I have to really pay attention to the shift pattern- attention I would rather use on steering, road conditions, traffic, etc.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I think the shifting is a cleaner and crisper (due to direct linkage) and now I am used to it and like it, but I would NOT go to GP shift without good reason, it took me a good while to burn reverse pattern into my muscle memory and now when I ride a bike with a conventional shift pattern, I have to really pay attention to the shift pattern- attention I would rather use on steering, road conditions, traffic, etc.

This is exactly my experience. I just rode my friends' ST4S for a bit today and I had to keep reminding myself to shift "normally."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts