Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a data logger so I can properly setup the ECU on my SS (fuel and ignition maps). I'm planning to use a knock sensor and wideband lambda (as well as TPS and RPM inputs), log all this (both on road and on track) and then configure the ECU accordingly.

So far I've found a few data loggers that seem to be quite good and reasonably priced:

Innovate Motorsports DL-32 -- DL-32: Datalogger and Sensor Controller

WBo2 2JA -- Wideband WBo2 2J9 Technical Information (Tech Edge)

WBo2 3E2 -- Wideband WBo2 3E1/3E2 Technical Information (Tech Edge)

WBo2 DIY 2Y2 (a friend will help me build this) -- WBo2 2Y DIY Wideband Unit

Has any of you used any of the above or a different data logger? Feel free to share your experience :D

Any feedback/advice is welcome :) :)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use with good result Innovate LM-1 as logger.
added with LMA-2 for REV & TPS.
Old but works 100%.
Then download the log with Logworks and use the information to adjust the fuelmap.
Note that in order to get a good result you must use the logger very strict so that the information is useful. Try to simulate the work that is done on a dyno.
Just driving around on the road or at the track and record will not give you so much valuable information.

Good luck.
Henrik

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Henrik!

That's a +1 then for Innovate's stuff.

Have you ever logged data from a knock sensor?

·
Registered
94 Posts
No, I have not used a knock sensor.
I guess it is more for the turbo people.
Would have loved to try out a cylinder pressure sensor in order to log max cylinder pressure versus TDC.
/Henrik

·
Registered
200 Posts
Of the ones you listed I'd suggest the Innovate stuff. I've got Tech Edge WBO2 units and for the typical user I'd say the Innovate is more reliable than the WBO2. Especially for RPM measurement.

With regards to cylinder pressure data the art is to combine dyno, ECU, and combustion data properly. Thus you can see torque, knock peak (which is peak-to-mean pressure), BSFC, COV of IMEP, etc. vs. calibration parameters, fuel, spark, etc. Which is what you are optimizing.

Not having cylinder pressure data is relatively flying blind... not that it's not doable it's just one is pulling on the dragon's tail without really knowing if he is asleep or not. Without cylinder pressure info I typically map (spark at least) 2-3 N*m down from peak torque. I would NOT recommend using an acoustic knock sensor in DATA as their sensitivity can vary WIDELY based on their placement. Interpreting 4 MPa knock hits as 1 MPa knock hits is not, erm, good. Using them piped to headphones can be useful, but hope you've done it before though.

I would guess you are only doing fuel though as that is where most of the drivability lays. Had you really changed the engine around power is in spark...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for your post desmo11 :)

It would definitely help to have cylinder pressure data however it will add to the cost/complexity of my ECU tunning attempts :rolleyes::D:think::think:

My bike already has a pair of Pistals and custom PCIII map (tunned on the dyno using wideband lamda for each cylinder). What I'd like to do now is flash the Magneti Marelli ECU with the custom fuel map (will allow me to remove the PCIII) as well as a modified ignition map (ignition mapping hasn't been modified yet). My goal is for the engine to run even better AND reduce the chance of detonation (although squish was checked I have to use 98 octane fuel -- on 95 it goes KNOCK :D -- that's 98 RON)

Thanks again! :) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts