Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Looking for hard to find ST2 cams

11K views 58 replies 20 participants last post by  duc96cr 
#1 ·
I am working on a 900SS/SP motor. I am looking for ST2 cams to go along with the 944 Pistal pistons and head work. I know they are hard to find but can anyone point me in a direction on my search?
Thanks, Stephen

#41 ·
guy martin liked to use st2 cams in the heads he did, and about when they gained press the idea of st2 cams in carby mdoels gained press. i asked bruce, and he'd never done them on their own (like eric and others have said).

so afaik, no one has done it as yet. i have the cams, if someone local (melboure, au) wants to try it let me know. i'll fit and shim for free, you pay for the dyno runs.

#42 ·
I just think it would be something good to know for all of us, The cams are stupid priced as far I am concerned and I am used to BMW pricing which normally seems to make Duc's seem inexpensive lol, but it could make those that are considering a slight upgrade know whether just the cams would give and benefit for those $$$ or are they going to have to go the whole route of Cams, Pistons, Valves, Carbs etc where you can really easy spend more then the bike is ever going to be worth, especially if they are not capable of doing the work themselves.

#43 · (Edited)
Oh Oh ! You’ve crossed into sacred ground now ! You will now receive “ the lecture “ about spending ridiculous amounts on upgrades cannot be compared to the low price you may have purchased the bike for. If I can paraphrase: If you haven’t spent at least as much on upgrades as you spent on the bike, or at least intend to, then you can’t be part of the SuperSport Club. You will be shamed and looked upon with scorn until you open that wallet wide ! A pair of FCR’s or unobtainium wheels will gain you respect far beyond your actual need for the items. You’ve been warned !

#46 ·
Well then I may be shunned lol because I can promise you this, I shall not spend stupid money on this 900ss to do so called upgrades. I am more interested in keeping it as close as stock original as I can, This is a street bike for me & I am not going out on the track with this bike. Hell if I wanted to go really fast I would have kept my M.V. Agusta 750 F4 Neiman Marcus , That thing was freeking fast at least after you got over 7K rpm lol. Some Bikes I purchase to enjoy as they were meant to be this 900ss is one of those

#44 ·
As has been stated before the quickest and easiest performance boost after a jet kit and exhaust is raising the compression. It really wakes the engine up and I think longer timing of the ST2/IE cams would be wasted on the standard carb engine unless a fortune was expended on jetting/dyno time.

#45 ·
I have not installed and tested cams alone in a 900 so I do not have that data alone, it is in my mile long list of things to try but first I need time and then I need the cams.

I have changed cams alone in a 750ssie to 900 carby cams and did see a 4-5rwhp bump over stock. you MIGHT see similar but as with most mods there are a lot of variables so just know your results may vary. Also be aware if you add lift to the cam and run a stock piston you need to verify the now greater lift will not contact the pistons. Yes to do the job right it will probably be more work than benefit to do just the cams. This is why no one does JUST the cams, minimize the labor by doing the majority of things all at once saves you money and makes the expense more noticeable in more than just your wallet.

My Dyno should be up and running this fall again if anyone wants to test. free before and after run ... in the sake of science.:wink2:

#49 ·
got a new location?
Unless something bad happens as it is always prone to do ... Yes. New building I am supposed to be able to move back in next month, vacation appears to be over. :crying:
Don't know if you are still looking for Cams, or if freight will kill it
Good price on those and the last few sets I have had customers buy whole heads out of Europe just to get them, pickings are getting slim as there are not many who want to scrap a good bike for cams and Ducati wants about $1500 us a pair for new.

#55 ·
Ok, so I've read this entire thread. Really informative.

However, I have to wonder ... if the ST2 cams are actually some sort of magic mojo made by elves living in trees, why haven't they been copied, micron for micron, by a production cam grinder?

Having been deeply involved in manufacturing hand made musical instruments, hand made audio processing gear, hand built synthesizers and vintage Hammond organ upgrades, as well as hand built all tube guitar/bass amps ... not to mention designing and building BMX, motorcycle, desert racing Quad/ATVs frames and suspension sets as well as off road racing/desert racing pickup trucks... I have to say I am very skeptical of "improvements" that cannot be quantified and are more myth and mojo than fact.

What I am NOT saying is that anyone who adopts the use of ST2 cams and likes what they've done is "stupid" or easily mislead. Let's make sure we all understand that before torches are lit and pitchforks are handed out.

From where I stand, it would make more sense to go with readily available cams (such as the ones at that Kaema outfit) that can be replaced with another profile available from the same supplier if different engine/power curve/response characteristics are desired after their baseline offering has been tried.

As I said, my skepticism radar goes on high alert anytime I hear/read of how well some unobtainable (or nearly so) part or piece is reported to work, with the only supporting evidence being "it/they just made it better" (whatever "it" may be).

Another thing, when the ST2 cams take a shit (oiling issue cooks them, or some other catastrophic failure kills them) then the quest for even less available ST2 cams resumes to repeat the engine build. To me, with my admittedly low degree of experience with Ducati motorcycles, it just makes more sense to go with something akin to those Kaema cam sets or other readily available profile.

Allow the ass kicking to commence. >:)

:wink2:

#57 ·
The ST2 cams are not the best (whatever that is to anyone) or worst cams they were just the hottest oem cam that fit many 2 valve pantahs. Veetwo as well as Kaemna make cams that are well made cams, there may be others. I know that some have been sent out to be replicated but un fortunatly it is not that easy for some reason. A few years back I loaned some cams to Bruce Meyers (Ducati tuner) and he sent them off for digitizing and replicating. After the cam company (major US cam company) had them for 4 months I needed them back for my customers job so we never had any luck.

I do not know the issue but it likely boils down to cost as always. $800-1200 for a set of cams vs a set of good used cams out of a st2 used to be a easy decision but as the st2 cams get scarce they get pricey too and at that point you might be better off with something else. VeeTwo had a grind that made really good gains but would scissor bind and ate 1/2 rings ,every weekend they were destroyed. We tried the MBP collets and tripled the life, yep 3 weekends and broken collets. Some times power is not all that important .

#58 · (Edited)
life and cams

If I may chime in here with real world data,mind numbing experience,and some un tested thoughts!!??
One comment : HP costs money...how much HP can you afford?
You can throw a lot of money into our 900 SS biikes...but you will still have a bike thats slower than a modern 600.
You can modify to your hearts content but the bike will still be an older Ducati.
I have enough money in my 900SS that I could apl;so have purchased a Hyper 1100 nicely sorted used.
I have the preferred mods
Composite Fuel cell
Showas
Ohlins shock
Powder coated red frame
Cycle Cat Upper triple
dual heqadlamp front fairing(s)
CF Mono rear
CF plate holder
944 kit with 11.5/1 Hi comp pistons (Millenium sourced)
ST2 Cams
relocated oil cooler
polished rear muffler hangers modified from stock
polished rear sets(stock)
Polished SP al. swingarm
powder coated Metmachix swingarm
CZ Wheels
CRG levers
41mm banked FCRs
40 (41??)tooth reaR SPROCKET
180 rear Q3
120 Front Q3
Add 2100.00 for what I paid for Valves,porting,and reassembly
I could have purchased a 2010 or newer Hyper or older low mileage Superbike for less than I have invested in my SS...no including purchase price of bike!!
I finally purchased a 2012 Strettfighter and have enjoyed this beast of a bike!!!
But I am loving my 900 SS still!!
Ill finish the build...and ride it some...
but my final thought is we do what we do to these bikes to further our enjoyment of these wonderful bikes...and what we spend on them is secondary to our love of them.
To answer the cam question the ST2 cams will build better throttle in the mid rpm.
They are great ca ms for street use..where lower RPM and torque are king!!
My 2cents...
Mike S

Reactions: ducvet
#59 ·
Same here Mike. I bought an S4RS and of course it out performs the old SS in every way. Still I keep modifying the old girl in all kinds of ways and dumping money into it, though not near like you have. I don’t regret it a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.