Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
st2 cams have more duration than the 900ssie (esp exhaust) and the same lift, and both have more duration than the 900 carb. they have similar lobe separation

would be interesting to see the lift profiles. the st2 seemed to go flat earlier than the 900ssie, but it did also have a bit shorter inlet tract.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Might be worth bumping this thread...

Anyone still looking for ST2 cams?

Pair of used cams for €250...
Don't know what the regular price for a set like these is but it seems to me that it's a fair price (considering how 'rare' they seem to be...)

Sold by a dutch guy who trades in second hand Ducati parts. His email is in the bottom of the description.

Don't blame me if they're crap...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Been there done that Ducvet,I own an '03. It's a very labor intensive procedure just to find out that nothing needs adjusting.

Agreed. I've also got an '04 RC51 with over 42K miles on it and the valve clearances are still within spec.

FWIW Ducvet I installed a set 92mm FBF high comps and a set of ST2 cams in my '95. Got the cams many years ago brand new in the box from a friend of mine who works the parts counter at my local Ducati dealership. He had 3 carby 900SS's and was saving them for a build that he never got around to.

With the ST2 cams installed at about 3800 revs you can audibly hear the exhaust note change from a burbling thump to a tight focused throbbing thrum,kinda like a huge machine lathe at full song. As the tach needle sweeps past 4000 revs the engine immediately gets your attention and becomes noticeably livelier. It carries that power surge up to right about 7500 revs or so. That was with the stock airbox,stock 38mm Mikuni's,and long intakes still installed.

Coupla years later I installed a set of 41mm racked FCR's and with the increased throttle response that those carbs provided it just accentuated that power surge at 4K revs. Every one of my buddies who rode the bike mentioned it.

In my experience I think the best way to describe the ST2 cams is that below 4K revs you have a nice docile around town bike and after 4K revs you have this sort of angry bumble bee.
The engine power characteristics with the stock cams installed felt nothing like that.
I don't mean to dig up an old thread but I've spent about 30 minutes scouring the forums for some kind of dyno or anecdotal account of how SS IE cams perform a carby 900 (not an 800SS which seems like a popular bike for these cams) and so far your post was the most wholesome. I had to personally thank you. I was going to sell my IE cams but after having read your account I think I would much rather keep them. Plus, I'm throwing in Bruce Meyer HC/11.5 Pistals that have really deep reliefs. Hopefully it can not only accept the oversized valves, but also have enough clearance for the higher lift of the IE cams.

On which exhaust did you have this experience? I see you have Termigs in your picture but I'm unsure if that was part of your setup at the time of the account.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,190 Posts
On which exhaust did you have this experience? I see you have Termigs in your picture but I'm unsure if that was part of your setup at the time of the account.
Those aren't Termi's that you see on my bike in my signature pic Sam those are American made c/f low mount D&D pipes.
At the time I was running the stock header and those D&D pipes with stock size 92mm FBF high comp pistons,the ST2 cams,and racked 41mm FCR's.

I'm doing a complete ground-up rebuild on my bike and this time around I'm planning on running a bump kit with 94mm 11.5/1 JE high comp pistons,ported and polished heads,the ST2 cams,split single 41mm FCR's with short intake manifolds,lotsa lightened engine internals,and a Sil Moto spaghetti header with FBF c/f high mount pipes.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
well, you could get a carby 900, test it and let us know. i think the manifolds will hurt any cam you try to increase the top end with, but the extra duration would help somewhat. certainly the power increase you get from short manifolds is what most people will expect from a cam - tilting the torque curve to a top end bias. the vee two 210 grind helps lift the torque curve, not sure how the top end would be with a short manifold and this cam.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Those aren't Termi's that you see on my bike in my signature pic Sam those are American made c/f low mount D&D pipes.
At the time I was running the stock header and those D&D pipes with stock size 92mm FBF high comp pistons,the ST2 cams,and racked 41mm FCR's.
Oh yes, D&D's from Forth Worth, Texas. I've heard D&D's in-person and I like the deep baritone sound. I thought it sounded better than Termigs.

I will soon be running a similar setup to yours. The Pistals are 94MM and based on Brad's profile comparison the IE and ST2 cams are nearly identical so I'm hoping to experience what you've written.

I'm doing a complete ground-up rebuild on my bike and this time around I'm planning on running a bump kit with 94mm 11.5/1 JE high comp pistons,ported and polished heads,the ST2 cams,split single 41mm FCR's with short intake manifolds,lotsa lightened engine internals,and a Sil Moto spaghetti header with FBF c/f high mount pipes.
Wow, going for the full monty. That's the dream. Will you be throwing in an Ignitech TPS? I purchased an adapter kit from FourRings and have an Ignitech lying in my garage waiting to be installed. Is it true that split singles are a PITA for a daily rider? I sold my set for racked and I know I left power on the table.

FourRings is selling a full SM exhaust system for $1,200 and has less than 500 miles on it if you're interested. The cans are also CF.

·
Registered
270 Posts
well, you could get a carby 900, test it and let us know. i think the manifolds will hurt any cam you try to increase the top end with, but the extra duration would help somewhat. certainly the power increase you get from short manifolds is what most people will expect from a cam - tilting the torque curve to a top end bias. the vee two 210 grind helps lift the torque curve, not sure how the top end would be with a short manifold and this cam.
This is all really good insight, thanks. I want to throw in the IE cams but it's going on racked FCRs. If the different is negligible then I may not even bother installing the IE cams until the day I install singles. But I have only heard singles are tedious for daily riders like myself. For these reasons I have remained indecisive for quite some time -_-

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,190 Posts
I've heard D&D's in-person and I like the deep baritone sound.
Yeah I liked the sound of those D&D's too Sam but my neighbors probably hated them. Had to keep the garage door closed in the morning while warming up the bike with the choke on because those mofo's were definitely on the loud side.

Will you be throwing in an Ignitech TPS?
I'll be using an Ignitech TCI-P4 programmable ignition and a hall effects pick-up kit to get rid of the wasted spark. Bought both of those kits from Liam over at FastBikeGear in New Zealand.
I also have one of Liam's TPS mounting kits for the FCR carbs too but I won't be using it because I found out after I bought it that it only works with the racked carbs and not the split singles.

Is it true that split singles are a PITA for a daily rider?
From what I've heard they can be a bit of a pain on cold start up and you've gotta keep on top of the cable adjustments. I won't know for sure Sam until I get the bike back together and running so I guess we'll hafta wait and see.

Wow, going for the full monty. That's the dream.
Yep. I've literally got a small mountain of boxes and boxes and boxes full of new parts for my rebuild Sam,been slowly collecting parts for quite a few years now. When I'm done there practically won't be a single part or system on my bike that won't be modified or updated in some way or other.

That's the cool thing about these old carby 900SS's,they're so easy to work on and there are so many different things that you can do to them to fix their inherent faults and update them. And the real beauty of it all is that it's all been done before. All you have to do is research through these 900SS forums and follow the instructions that other forum members have already presented in the threads.

Ducati.MS is a veritable gold mine of carby 900SS information,man I love this place!

FourRings is selling a full SM exhaust system for $1,200 and has less than 500 miles on it if you're interested. The cans are also CF.
If by SM you mean Sil Moto then no I won't be needing that exhaust. The Sil Moto spaghetti headers and Fast By Ferracci pipes that I have are both brand new in the box.
For their part the FBF pipes were made by Sil Moto Italia,says so right on the box so they're most likely the same or very similar to the pipes that Mike is selling. Thanks for the heads-up anyway though.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I have a good set of ST2 cams. I'll let them go for $1750. I've attached a photo of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
:grin2::grin2:

sorry. still giving you agro? you'd probably make that from the cams and panniers.

Ha, ha. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to see the humour. That said, I have had a hiccup here and there. Irritating, still. One after hitting a largish bump. Another when I simply gave the throttle a healthy twist. No two instances seem to relate. Relays are cheap so, they'll be ordered tomorrow.

Unless someone REALLY needs some cams. :D

·
Registered
607 Posts
OK I have a question for you guys, I am not going to modify my bike so this is just for my info and maybe it will help others as well. -With a basically stock 900ss carby, what would the ST2 cams do for it? if anything, I can understand others talking about different higher compression pistons & or FCR carbs & other things, But if no other mods were done would the cams alone be of any benefit ?

·
Registered
607 Posts
again I am not going to modify my bike, but someone has I am sure tried this before==you gotta start somewhere and I know that all of a sudden everyone did not have the same epiphany that all of these things worked together. There had to some trial and error work done, It's just a matter of finding the right person who put in the work & time

21 - 40 of 59 Posts