Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm OK, but I've got some damage to my 1998 ST2 from an accident on my way to work this morning.

I was looking over my shoulder to see if I could merge left in heavy traffic and when I looked back the car 2 ahead had come to a complete stop and the SUV in front of me was breaking HARD. I did the same, but needed about another foot to fully stop the bike. It was close, but the headlight and top fairing went into the bumper cover/driver side taillight of the SUV and I the bike and I fell hard to the right.

The headlight glass is broken as is the right front turn signal and the upper fairing is cracked. The right mid fairing has a big scrape on it, the lower one a small scrape. The right hard bag was an effective slider and took a big scrape too. That looks to be about it. The front brake line is a bit kinked and should be replaced, but everything else seems OK.

Any advice on handling the repairs? I'm at fault since I failed to come to a stop, but the trooper was cool and didn't give me a ticket. I figure my rate's gonna go up anyway, so I might as well submit everything for repair. Any different opinions or other relevant thoughts on the matter?

I'll get some pics up later. On the bright side, I might as well get that Desmo Designs headlamp now!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Try to source out the repairs so that you don't take a big insurance hit. If you take it to a dealer for an estimate, they will prob. find enough to total the bike! Yuck!
A good body shop could prob. fix up most of your bodywork (believe it or not).

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The headlight glass is broken as is the right front turn signal and the upper fairing is cracked. The right mid fairing has a big scrape on it, the lower one a small scrape. The right hard bag was an effective slider and took a big scrape too.
If you make the claim, they will total the bike.

The '98 ST2 is only worth around $4000, and the damage you mention will probably be at least 75% of the bike's value. Quickly checking an internet Ducati parts site...

Headlight #52040331A - $708.93
Front R.H. turn signal #53040061A - $32.98
Headlight fairing (grey) #48110161BB - $550.88
Upper fairing (grey) #48010601DB - $757.64
Lower fairing (grey) #48011151AE - $757.64
R.H. pannier (grey) #69810152A) - $325.80

Total - $3133.87

They may opt to have some of it repainted, but this also doesn't show any other things that may be found to be damaged (brackets, headlight bucket, etc...) Used body panels in decent condition are also nearly impossible to find (unless yours is red), as I've been casually watching eBay for some panels for my ST2 since March. I still need to find one more panel. If you decided on an OEM headlight, they can be had for $50-$100 on eBay quite often. I got mine for around $50, and that included shipping.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys! Any idea what to expect in terms of cost to refinish a panel?

Also, any thoughts on if it would be better to let them total it and then buy it back or just forget about making the claim and pay out of pocket?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Thanks, guys! Any idea what to expect in terms of cost to refinish a panel?
Depends on your area. I would figure, considering prep time, most places will charge at least $100 per panel.

Also, any thoughts on if it would be better to let them total it and then buy it back or just forget about making the claim and pay out of pocket?
Depends on how they look at it and how you view it. A buddy of mine let the insurance company total his Buell and he bought it back. Luckily, they did not demand that the bike be reissued a title with salvage title. In many cases, a salvage title will kill the resale value of your bike and chase away a LOT of potential buyers.

Earlier this year we made a claim on my wife's R1. The bike should have been totaled, but the claims adjuster noted that he wasn't going to because I told him I was going to rebuild the bike because we liked the bike. I bought a bunch of parts and rebuilt it for around $1200....and pocketed close to $3000. I was planning on buying it back, regardless, if they were to total it, because my wife loves the bike and has no plans of ever selling it. A salvage title wouldn't mean a thing to us.

In some cases, though, you make a claim, and they'll find a way to recoup all those dollars right back out of your wallet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good to hear that you are OK,do you have replacement cost ins?if not maybe a tack toy or part it out for extra bucks maybe, is there another model that tips your trigger?
If you decide to fix it and the hardbag above is not the right style i have the original right side pannier it is silver and in decent shape I was really looking to trade it for a left side red if possible, or if you part it out I would be looking for a left side.
Good luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is a local paint guy here who the Ducati dealer uses and his work is flawless. I have seen him paint ducati red and yellow and you cant tell and trust me I am very picky. I would find someone to repair and repaint the panels. I would find the other parts on ebay etc and you should be good as new.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm OK, but I've got some damage to my 1998 ST2 from an accident on my way to work this morning.

I was looking over my shoulder to see if I could merge left in heavy traffic and when I looked back the car 2 ahead had come to a complete stop and the SUV in front of me was breaking HARD. I did the same, but needed about another foot to fully stop the bike. It was close, but the headlight and top fairing went into the bumper cover/driver side taillight of the SUV and I the bike and I fell hard to the right.

The headlight glass is broken as is the right front turn signal and the upper fairing is cracked. The right mid fairing has a big scrape on it, the lower one a small scrape. The right hard bag was an effective slider and took a big scrape too. That looks to be about it. The front brake line is a bit kinked and should be replaced, but everything else seems OK.

Any advice on handling the repairs? I'm at fault since I failed to come to a stop, but the trooper was cool and didn't give me a ticket. I figure my rate's gonna go up anyway, so I might as well submit everything for repair. Any different opinions or other relevant thoughts on the matter?

I'll get some pics up later. On the bright side, I might as well get that Desmo Designs headlamp now!
Sorry to hear about your accident, hope your still okay tomorrow. Had the same thing happen to me in Sturgis in my sons pickup, stopped dead in the acceleration lane.
Time to get some braided brake lines, and that great paint scheme you always wanted. Take photos and keep the estimate information to show future buyers why it has a salvage title, if you ever decided to sell.
I have a mid panel and maybe a lower panel. My lower may also have a scrape, and of course they need your colorizing.
I can't believe your mirrors made it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear about your accident, hope your still okay tomorrow. Had the same thing happen to me in Sturgis in my sons pickup, stopped dead in the acceleration lane.
Time to get some braided brake lines, and that great paint scheme you always wanted. Take photos and keep the estimate information to show future buyers why it has a salvage title, if you ever decided to sell.
I have a mid panel and maybe a lower panel. My lower may also have a scrape, and of course they need your colorizing.
I can't believe your mirrors made it.
Thanks much! I still feel pretty much OK today. I'm gonna see the doc this morning just to make sure.

The stock mirrors were off the bike as one of the stems cracked and needed repair. I had some cheap ones off eBay that just folded back in the crash.

I'm still trying to figure out how it wasn't worse- it doesn't look like the wheel, fender or forks hit anything. The headlight took it all. I'm not quite sure how I managed that.

I need to get all the panels off today and look it over in more detail. I'm thinking the support for the headlight and maybe the instrument cluster could be tweaked, but the frame still looks true to me.

The insurance guy is coming Wednesday to have a look. faraim, yeah, I've got replacement value on the bike which KBB says is around $4,100. I'll keep everyone posted if there are parts to be had when all is said and done.

DesmoDemon, again, thanks for all the info and input!

Viper thanks for the eBay link.

mario65, good advice. I spoke with a buddy who had to have panels done on his 900SS and he has a guy he trusts who seems reasonable.

Thanks, all and I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Glad your okay. If you were closer I'd offer to fix it for you. All the damage you state sounds fixable. Except the head light bit and now would be a good time to upgrade to the DD headlight.

this is my bike after the deer incident. The picture doesn't do it justice. The paint is Duc code mixed by
in DuPont Chroma Base with Chroma Clear on top of decals and all. Other Ducatisti come over and comment on
the paint job, favorably I must add.:)

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
For reference, these are some pictures from my two drops earlier this year....

I plastic welded the breaks in the fairings for function, installed the OEM shield back on the bike, bought a new turn signal, and a used headlight. It cost $92 to get mine back up and rideable. It's not pretty, but I don't care. It's ridden hard and has right at 50k miles on it.

I only carry liability insurance, so I have been slowly finding pieces for it. I have a used headlight fairing with a small scratch on it for $50 or so and a brand new, in-the-box left mid fairing that was $75. I'm still casually watching out for a right mid fairing before putting all the stuff on it to make it look a little better. Getting the whole thing repainted yellow is tempting, but I can't see sinking that kind of money into a bike that's only worth about $3000 all fixed up. :D

BTW - That bandaid was put on the bike after the 5 mph drop from gravel. It's still on the bike. It's been on there since March and has been through nearly 9000 miles with around 2000 of that being in the rain. That's one good stickin' bandaid!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
230 Posts
Looks like a dealer would total your bike. A body shop could clean up a lot of that damage, but you still need to source out some new parts. You would have to decide if it is worth the hit on your insurance.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Here are some pictures of the aftermath for anybody who's interested:
http://gallery.me.com/dave_barker#100053
There are probably a few brackets bent under that headlight fairing. Good thing is that most of them are listed fairly regularly on eBay and almost no one ever wants them, so they are cheap. The bodywork is not the easiest to come by. If you don't mind repainting replacement bodywork, you should be able to find an upper for under $100 and a right side fairing pretty easily and that is not too expensive.

I'm casually watching out for the correct color for the parts I need. I don't care for the added expense of getting it painted.

I actually kinda like the way mine looks with all the scuffs and crude plastic welds to hold it together. You don't run across too many Ducs that are rough and still being ridden. Sometimes it's refreshing to not see a minty, clean, and perfect bike. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually one of my buddies had the fantastic idea of painting it Dark. I'm toying with the idea of Dark fairings up front, but keeping the silver fender and rear side panels. I've got to pull everything off and look her over this weekend.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well as far as I can tell the only damage beyond cosmetic right now is a broken headlight bucket, a bent fairing mount and potentially some bent brackets that secure the top fairing and instrument cluster. Here are some more photos:
http://gallery.me.com/dave_barker#100061

So I think I'm putting the claim in. Progressive is good enough to publish a lot of information regarding what kind of surcharges you'll pay based on number of accidents and violations and based on that I have to figure just what they have to pay to fix the SUV will bump me up a notch, so I might as well get the cash to do what I need to. The claims guy comes Wednesday morning and then I should have enough info to figure out how to proceed.

If I do the work myself with parts off of eBay and such, I figure I can get the parts I need for about $1200 (or $500 less if I source a OEM headlight vs. the Ducati Designs unit) and I'll budget another $1000 for refinishing and paint work. I have to see what the buy back price is on the bike and what kind of hassle a salvage title is.

I'm wondering if I say I'm doing the work and give them a quote that is below the total loss threshold if they can just give me a check for that amount and skip the total loss business. I guess if it gets too messy I can just take the check and look for a new ST, but it seems like a shame to do that when the damage seems mostly cosmetic.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The headlight bucket is in 2 pieces-left and right side, are both broken? I may have an unbroken right side[have to check]. They are very likely to have vibration failures also[cracks] might check that on both pieces.
The fairing[mid] mount is just a bent bolt, it appears to me.
Where your upper fairing is cracked[just behind the turn signal] is a pretty high stress point for these parts. Difficult for a long term perfect repair, my crack is showing slightly under the paint. I s the mount on the rad. overflow bottle broken?
Dark you say, check out this side panel $60.00 plus shipping. I can even repair the crack before shipping.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you really love THAT bike then fix it.

If you get some insurance money and that one has run its course with you or youd like another bike, get an ST4s(I cant believe how cheap a nice low mile st4s goes for nowadays). There is a supersweet yellow one on ebay that made my mouth water(not mine). Id probably get another and part out yours and you might come out ahead with the insurance money. And some guys needing parts will be eternally grateful.

I love mine to death so I can understand if you feel that way about yours. I know Id never give mine up unless it was mint super low mile one nearby and I could put my parts on it. Even then it would be hard. No bike I have or have had makes me happier than my st4s.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts