Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gearing up for a winter project, looking for an sc frame to modify.

i'm thinking of doing some pretty significant mods, so i'm leaning towards customizing a spare frame then moving the rest of my stuff over vs. cutting up mine.

i don't care about condition of the paint - it's going to get stripped. it does need to be straight, although bent steering stops are not a problem - so if anyone has a lead on a frame that's been totaled for that reason please let me know.

pm with any info - thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
I can hook you up with a frame of a '06 Sport, although I'm afraid that it is a tat pricier than what you have in mind and are willing to pay. But for that price, I'll toss in a motor, wheels, body, exhaust, tires, chain, ..... , the whole combo. You could even ride the frame home (saves on shipping) :D

Sorry, GTRossi, couldn't resist; good luck. You do have a digital camera, correct?

RonB

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
gt-
when i sold my PS i gave the buyer an additional frame its bent but repairable you might want to check with him.
he has it and my old race bike listed in the classifieds.

what are you going to build?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Wow Geoff a new project! we better discuss this over a few beers to see what you have in mind ...can't wait to watch the progress!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the mods i hope to do this winter on the sport are:

- custom luggage mount system (ventura rack is decent, but not strong enough and i'm not diggin' the looks)

- cut off the old battery mount pipes

- repaint frame after above mods

- custom dash/clocks (ditch the plastic oems and the immobilizer)

- removeable pillion peg system (please make it, waspie, before i have to fab up my own rube goldberg)

- seal the tank (more prev. maint. than a true mod)

i've been going around and around on how much more to do (or not do) to my s1k project. i could certainly take it farther, but i'm beginning to think i'll do a few more mods, keep/ride it as it is, and build another bike from the ground up. it will def. have a classic/retro look, with some modern bits for performance. looking around at different platforms to start with - interestingly, i'm not sure if the sport classic is the right one, actually...

i want a central monoshock swingarm which gives me flexibility with exhaust systems and i'll use an aircooled duc lump for sure. probably go w/carbs and ditch as mutch of the elecronica as i can.

stay tuned...

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Custom luggage mount system?

the mods i hope to do this winter on the sport are:

- custom luggage mount system (ventura rack is decent, but not strong enough and i'm not diggin' the looks)
Any chance of coming up with a more generic luggage mount system ???? :think:

I realise you will be coming up with something pretty specific to your bike if you are cutting and welding the frame, but maybe it is possible to come up with something that could be used by the rest of us with a bit of adaption.

Good luck with you project and I look forward to seeing some progress photos.

I love the way these bikes are really bringing out the creativity of the members of this forum. I think we have moved past the frustration at the lack of aftermarket parts, and continuing with what makes our bikes unique.

Cheers

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Glen - yes, i'm still in design mode on the luggage system... hope to get some good thinking time in over the break. i will def. contact you for fab work when i've got it more figured out.

@rob - i keep going back and forth between a one-off system for myself and a bolt-on system for others. it will come down to how much it costs to make and whether it makes sense to try and produce multiples for others to buy. i'll keep folks posted and guage interest as the project moves along...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Very interested in a good alternative to DP pannier brackets. Are you considering something that fits DP panniers or one of the aftermarket cases?

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Paul Smart frame wanting more from life.

i'm gearing up for a winter project, looking for an sc frame to modify.

i'm thinking of doing some pretty significant mods, so i'm leaning towards customizing a spare frame then moving the rest of my stuff over vs. cutting up mine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUCA..._Accessories?hash=item19b80f9e4f#ht_500wt_722

Sad to see a Limited Edition stripped to her bones. She needs a good home and molded to her great potential. Heck out of the +400 items for sale you could build the bike back again & would not need to canabalize you current ride.

So the only other question is: Which one of you on the Forum parted her out?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, at this point i'm thinking of doing a few more mods to my current s1k then building a second custom. my bike (being my only street bike) kind of has to do it all, and while it does an admirable job, i'd like to build another one that's a little more focused. by starting with boneyard parts i'll be able to stretch my legs bit with the design and not constantly worry that i'm bastardizing a perfectly good motorcycle...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts