Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Ducati, previously rode a tricked out Road Warrior. Nice bike, but this Motard is the coolest bike I've ever rode. No regrets in this purchase. I think it's the only one in Fairbanks, since nearest dealer is Anchorage. Anyway, I've been reading forums and listening to what everyone is doing to trick these out. It seems limitless what you can do. Here are my questions, maybe someone can chime in. Not looking for a full-blown racer, just a nice adrenline blast.
1. Power on the stock bike seems great, does the $$$ on different pipes really make a BIG difference? And if so, whats the best set-up? There are so many options.

2. When I rally through the gears down-shifting I have had some wheel lock-up. From what I've read a Slipper clutch kit would help, aasuming this is a must do?

3. Also, the bike is so nimble and responsive, I'm thinking some fork dampening is in order, any suggestions? I've seen couple options from Ducati, suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
After 4 years of ownership and a shit load of mods on my Hyper, If I had to do it all again I would do :

1/ Rear hugger
2/ Traxxion shock cover
3/ front fork and shock setup to match your weight and riding style. There are multiple solutions out there, fron a cheap set of springs to a full Olhins setup
4/ Steering damper. Took only one crash to convince me to get one.
5/ Ducshop stacks
6/ ECU reflashed to a DP profile (without o2 sensor if your bike is a 2010 +)
7/ exhaust system
8/ PCV

If your bike is new, I would also consider replacing all the original expensive italian plastic parts with cheap carbon fiber.
Damage, if it ever happens, will be less painfull.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
stacks, stacks , stacks , stacks , and a custom tune ....barrppppppppp

·
Registered
35 Posts
1) pipes+stacks with ecu reflash to let this engine breath.
2) a PCV or bazzaz + a tune to have your engine well fueled.
3) a suspension work to have more control of this bike.
4) slipper clutch for safety
5) all kinds of sliders, carbon fiber parts... to protect your nice and fast bike from your mistakes. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
1) pipes+stacks with ecu reflash to let this engine breath.
2) a PCV or bazzaz + a tune to have your engine well fueled.
3) a suspension work to have more control of this bike.
4) slipper clutch for safety
5) all kinds of sliders, carbon fiber parts... to protect your nice and fast bike from your mistakes. :)
everyone always mentions the suspension. i'm getting ready to have my stock 2012 Evo SP suspension tuned but apparently, this isn't enough? i'm 6 feet tall and weight 165lbs and ride pretty aggressively when i'm not at the track.. are ohlins fronts justified for my height/weight/riding style? i'm not sure yet. it's hard for me to justify replacing BRAND NEW FORKS with something different so early in the game.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bro, That helps narrow what I should be looking at. The first thing I did was put motivator slides on it yesterday. Sorry you had to experiance the down side to busting up yours. $$$$

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Johnie, Total rookie, starter kit guy here...Stacks? Your talking 2-1 stack, Temi or other? I saw power curve charts with Arrow & Leo....Which is the less tempermental? I'm sure whatever eliminates the sensor is a +

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I realize I've Been on this forum waaaaay to long when I've seen this question for this bike come up in maybe 20 threads over the years LOL. Seriously though. There are some really good threads on this forum on the subject with well debated topics... I would suggest you do a search n the. Hyper forum to get the best info on the subject.

Having said that, if youre comfortable getting into the engine yourself a bit, do the lightened flywheel from Ducshop.... Not counting your labor, it's 75$, and will absolutely transform the acceleration, turning, braking of the bike.....

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Johnie, Total rookie, starter kit guy here...Stacks? Your talking 2-1 stack, Temi or other? I saw power curve charts with Arrow & Leo....Which is the less tempermental? I'm sure whatever eliminates the sensor is a +
velocity stacks for the intake sorry mate....if you have a pre (evo mtr) 1100s go ducshop stacks if you have evo/sp mtr, go TPO beast R stacks..they make a thumping difference...sorry hope that helps...

·
Registered
12 Posts
velocity stacks for the intake sorry mate....if you have a pre (evo mtr) 1100s go ducshop stacks if you have evo/sp mtr, go TPO beast R stacks..they make a thumping difference...sorry hope that helps...
Why do you feel the Evo sp needs different stacks?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I realize I've Been on this forum waaaaay to long when I've seen this question for this bike come up in maybe 20 threads over the years LOL. Seriously though. There are some really good threads on this forum on the subject with well debated topics... I would suggest you do a search n the. Hyper forum to get the best info on the subject.

Having said that, if youre comfortable getting into the engine yourself a bit, do the lightened flywheel from Ducshop.... Not counting your labor, it's 75$, and will absolutely transform the acceleration, turning, braking of the bike.....
Agreed a lot of repetitive posting You should all read first ask second ,
get used to your stock bike first . A light flywheel really changes some things around . After Changing mine (less than 1lbs.Nichols) , I could use a slipper clutch now , it never ends when you start modding , your wallets the limit .

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Why do you feel the Evo sp needs different stacks?
from what i have experienced and what i have seen on the dyno, the newer mtr, with revised cam shafts etc, appears to make more HP and TQ with a larger mouthed stack, where as the older mtr seemed not to gain as much off the bottom end with the largest of stacks.vs a smaller stack (plenty of threads on here supporting that theory on the older bike too)..again this is only my experience in OZ ..

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you plan on riding farther than 60 miles, ever, the CA cycleworks 6.4 gallon tank is a must. I can do 180 miles before the light comes on, and that's with race cams/heads and a tune.

Supplement the small power loss with a Power Command V and you'll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
from what i have experienced and what i have seen on the dyno, the newer mtr, with revised cam shafts etc, appears to make more HP and TQ with a larger mouthed stack, where as the older mtr seemed not to gain as much off the bottom end with the largest of stacks.vs a smaller stack (plenty of threads on here supporting that theory on the older bike too)..again this is only my experience in OZ ..
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting info. Just installed the ducshop stacks on my evo SP though and I wasn't keen to find out they were a source of real problems... I'm perfectly happy to love with "slightly suboptimal" however!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting info. Just installed the ducshop stacks on my evo SP though and I wasn't keen to find out they were a source of real problems... I'm perfectly happy to love with "slightly suboptimal" however!
no no the ducshop stacks are great!!, i just meant that the larger stacks do not seem to give the evo mtr the same low end issue that they did on the 09 hyper mtr. barppppp back wheel heaven for us all now!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Couch,Chouch, Which dampening system do you recommend? Can you do it youself?
I went for the Scotts, for few reasons.
Lots of positive feedback.
Lots of adjustement
Very nice looking
Comes with new handlebar clamps (twisted my stock ones during the crash)
Any single part of the kit is available thru Scotts, easy for maintenance.
The Damper itself is pretty much universal, if you get a new bike, you can just buy the new mount and use your old damper.
US product, not hassle dealing with Italy

Install is easy. Only have to be gentle with the immobilizer ring.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My bike has had a buttload of stuff done to it, including various cosmetics like the typical clutch bling, exhaust/cat delete, ECU, Hyperstacks, a steering damper, but if I were to do it all over again I'd do first what I did last, having the front springs changed to match my weight and having the rear shock revalved and a new spring there as well by Traxxion Dynamics. To me upgrading the suspension on these bikes yields the most increase in performance and enjoyability. I ride the pace and my pace just got a WHOLE lot faster.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts