Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so is there such thing as a bike that can stay outside year round, and be ridden year round? my 749 will most likely be sitting indoors through the winter, but i don't have a car driver's license and would like some sort of motored vehicle. right now im thinking of just some honda cb whatever from the 70s as a beater bike, but something nicer, maybe even italian, would be nice.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
some of the older Guzzis are a good buy, engine and shaft drive are good, tranny a little vague, hard to find a good CB750 for a good price and the early ones are quite collectible.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I rode my 2 stroke enduro 365 in Indiana for years. In my opinion 2 stroke kick start would be your best bet. Add some Trelleborg tires and go.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i want a normal bike. i live in pittsburgh and the roads are always "ok" its not like i ever have to get through a bunch of snow. so just a normal road bike. i was thinking of a bmw 1200 or something, but i kinda want a cheaper "beater" bike.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
my daily ride is a vstrom 650, great day to day bike.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm gonna second the motion for the DRz400SM. I owned one, a few friends have had(or have) them. A fantastic machine capable of virtually anything. Cheap to own and maintain. Get one.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
+1 on the guzzi's
I like the V50 monza for a commuter/winter bike.

Otherwise a cheap jap bike should do

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im wondering if i should just trade in my 749 for a cheap japanese bike. i want a year round bike and don't want to ruin a beautiful machine, and most likely won't have access to a heated garage this winter. maybe a older monster would do. so sad. do a lot of people have two bikes?

·
Registered
29 Posts
A lot of ppl have two bikes. I rode a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 through many Indiana winters. The seat is low enough to easily use your legs for support if the surface gets a tad slick.

·
Registered
111 Posts
its probaly more than you want to spend and doesnt fit your definition of a normal bike but look at a Ural. I have a `08 gear up and it is a blast. I had pretty severe buyers remorse for the first couple of weeks but after that it has been great. And NOTHING gets more attention from motorcyclists,non-motorcyclists, chicks, you name it. I almost never get on it and dont have to talk to someone about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts